Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    IŽd love to see J.K. Rowlings or J.R.R Martin take a stab at the WW myth.

Given their worldbuilding skills, I bet it'd would be something to behold.
    I suspect that their worldbuilding skills are going to be kneecapped by having to work within the confines of the DCU.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    I suspect that their worldbuilding skills are going to be kneecapped by having to work within the confines of the DCU.

Sad, but true.

BANNED

Unless given the freedom Azzarello appears to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Unless given the freedom Azzarello appears to enjoy.
    What freedom? Has anything from his run even been mentioned outside of the book?

Johns and Lee are building Wonder Woman's world (and doing an aweful job). Azzarello is building a small niche that people who don't read Wonder Woman won't ever be confronted with.

It's a basic Wonder Woman problem. She was supposed to come to Man's World to change it for the better. But because of status quo, because the wroters of Flash, Batman, Green Arrow... really don't want to deal with that changed world (and souldn't have to, really) she can't ever succeed in her task and is doomed to failure.

The way it is now, without a doomed mission statement, is much preferable to me. Of course the optimal choice is to tell Wonder Woman stories that don't take place in any kind of shared continuity, where the writer has the freedom to let her succeed.
    Last edited by carabas; 01-22-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

BANNED

What freedom? Has anything from his run even been mentioned outside of the book?
    I shall counter this with the question: Has anything from the rest of the DCNU appeared in WW?

The answer to your question however is; yes, it's has since Graves decided to dig up Hippolyta's petrification when he attacked the station.

Johns and Lee are building Wonder Woman's world (and doing an aweful job). Azzarello is building a small niche that people who don't read Wonder Woman won't ever be confronted with.
    Seems more like they are building the world of the Justice League using the debris from the sunken raft that was the old world of WW.

It's a basic Wonder Woman problem. She was supposed to come to Man's World to change it for the better. But because of status quo, because the wroters of Flash, Batman, Green Arrow... really don't want to deal with that changed world (and souldn't have to, really) she can't ever succeed in her task and is doomed to failure.

The way it is now, without a doomed mission statement, is much preferable to me. Of course the optimal choice is to tell Wonder Woman stories that don't take place in any kind of shared continuity, where the writer has the freedom to let her succeed.
    Would you be my BFF?
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa-Rivas-2099 View Post
    Would you be my BFF?
    Not sure... What's the pay like?

The whole man's world mission is ruined because all the amazons are jerks and all the goddess are jerk ls. I know even in the post crisis they want their flaws but they were at least still more human than jerks , hera is more of a spiteful wife but even she had affairs. The all man's world need the amazon ambassador or female empowerment with amazons from post or pre

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

It's a basic Wonder Woman problem. She was supposed to come to Man's World to change it for the better..... The way it is now, without a doomed mission statement, is much preferable to me.
    You're probably right there. The problem with an ambassadorial mission to change the world was that it threatened to turn the book into an endless soap opera where nothing ever gets resolved.

Johns and Lee are building Wonder Woman's world (and doing an aweful job)
    You'd think this would be the job of the Wonder Woman writer, too. But yes: the less he does the better.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    You're probably right there. The problem with an ambassadorial mission to change the world was that it threatened to turn the book into an endless soap opera where nothing ever gets resolved.
    Nono... The problem is that the ambassadorial mission is a dead end, a plot line that cannot ever progress, because the book is set in the extremely static DCU.

You'd think this would be the job of the Wonder Woman writer, too. But yes: the less he does the better.
    Actually, I have to correct myself.
    Azzarelly is doing a graet job building the world (that nobody else uses) while Johns and Lee and doing a terrible job of filling in the superhero tropes that fanboys need to quantify the heroes.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    The answer to your question however is; yes, it's has since Graves decided to dig up Hippolyta's petrification when he attacked the station.
    Also, the Batwoman comic (in the first issue of Wonder Woman's guest arc) mentions that Diana's parents are Hippolyta and Zeus.

Demon Knights alludes to the new version of the Amazons, with their unfriendliness to male visitors.

Azz has said in interviews that others have wanted to use his versions of the gods, but he wanted to keep exclusive control of them until he's done establishing them.

Not sure... What's the pay like?
    A lousy T-shirt with our picture showing 4 thumbs up.

...That's the second time I get that answer. I'm starting to see a pattern here.
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Also, the Batwoman comic (in the first issue of Wonder Woman's guest arc) mentions that Diana's parents are Hippolyta and Zeus.

Demon Knights alludes to the new version of the Amazons, with their unfriendliness to male visitors.

Azz has said in interviews that others have wanted to use his versions of the gods, but he wanted to keep exclusive control of them until he's done establishing them.
    Please tell me that we don't really have to sit through Azz introducing all the Gods...

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by UsagiTsukino View Post
    hera is more of a spiteful wife but even she had affairs.
    Hera may be a serial child murderer, but to the best of my knowledge sheŽs never cheated on Zeus.

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Should I be sad that while there's renewed interest from other writers on Azz's take of the greek gods, that doesnŽt seem reflected in a newfound interest from them on WW as well?