Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default How would you feel about Wonder Woman written by

Some expert on pastiche vintage horror (for a lack of a better name). Maybe by dark line authors like Lemire, Kindt, Fialkov, Snyder or ____(you get the vibe)____ or maybe somebody like Mignola (Hell Boy), Whedon (Buffy) or Powell (Goon)?

That's quite an interesting angle. She has creepy villains like Ares, Cheetah, Dr. Psycho, Egg Fu, Dr. Moon, Paula, Duke of Deception, etc. but add Nazi reanimated corpses and Greek freaks and you have something with a Frankenstein/kustom kulture/b-movie/vintage horror/El Santo/Rob Zombie vibe going on, maybe with a more serious, darker tone, though.

Maybe not as the new definitive Wonder Woman style, but I think that'd have good chances of selling and it wul be fun for a while. Wonder Woman vs. the Nazi Zombies, Wonder Woman vs. Hitlerstein, Wonder Woman vs. the New York harpies.
    Last edited by Rafa-Rivas-2099; 01-18-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Considering that the current writer has her in a sort of crime/horror book right now while still keeping the core of her intact, I don't think that would be a stretch at all. That said, out of those three, I think I'd rather see Lemire do it, since I haven't read anything of Kindt's and I found Failkov's I Vampire to be boring as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnghtJared View Post
    I found Failkov's I Vampire to be boring as hell.
    Intentional? Hope not. Funnier that way.

That might be a tad too extreme . . . and your examples sound like they might fall too much into parodies of teen horror movies or things like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

No thanks.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

True horror and superheroes generally don't mix. Especially, they shouldn't mix with a character like Wonder Woman, whose basic premise is bright and optimistic. Of all the major superheroes in the DC universe, her defining characteristics are that her world is pretty and she doesn't have a dark past. More to the point, she doesn't scare easy. She's neither a credible victim nor even a credible Final Girl for a slasher story. Those roles are too confining and too anti-woman for her.

If we're going for a pulpy, b-move / kustom kulture / sci-fi feel, which would probably work a lot better, she'd need to be more Barbarella or Candy than Aliens. I'm afraid DC takes itself too seriously to get this right, either.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That might be a tad too extreme . . . and your examples sound like they might fall too much into parodies of teen horror movies or things like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

No thanks.
    Well you might not like the actual idea, but if you thought it has anything to do with teen horror you still don't know what is it about. I don't know if there are any equivalents in English speaking pop cult, but my idea was more along the lines of El Santo movies and comics.

El Santo is a Mexican wrestler from the 50s, they soon started a comic about him and then a series of movies. He's a special agent with ties to the authorities just like Wonder Woman, only instead of developing his own rogues galleries, he fights classic monsters that invade (or whatever Mexico), like Zombies, Mad Scientists, Vampire Women, Guanajuato Mummies. Theres a whole vintage culture around it, and it has even made it to the US, with Rob Zombie paying homage with El Superbeasto. Bane in BTAS looks a lot like El Santo, even the way he wears a suit seems an homage.

Then there's the Frankenstein spin, in which the monsters are the super agents and new types of monsters are the villains.

I don't know which other characters have done that, but it seems from somewhere else. Spy vs. monster is not new, but it has not really been done by DC and Wonder Woman already fits the bill. She fights the supernatural for the US, and Azzarello already gave it a horror comic sort of vibe, vintage monsters are not really far at all.

Btw, this is not the case (cuz it isn't a new genre at all), but mixes sell. Game of Thrones has zombies, Marvel did Zombies, Batman and Superman have fought vampires, the Monitors ecame vampires, there are the Creature (monsters) commandos (army genre). Ever since Abbott and Costello met Frankestein monsters have crossed all sort of genres. Not only that Superheroes are often mixes of genres: Wonder Woman is a super spy, Batman is a detective, Plastic Man is basically a clown, Vigilante is a cowboy, Etrigan and Shining Knight are medieval heroes, Thor is a god, Iron man is mecha, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    True horror and superheroes generally don't mix. Especially, they shouldn't mix with a character like Wonder Woman, whose basic premise is bright and optimistic. Of all the major superheroes in the DC universe, her defining characteristics are that her world is pretty and she doesn't have a dark past. More to the point, she doesn't scare easy. She's neither a credible victim nor even a credible Final Girl for a slasher story. Those roles are too confining and too anti-woman for her.

If we're going for a pulpy, b-move / kustom kulture / sci-fi feel, which would probably work a lot better, she'd need to be more Barbarella or Candy than Aliens. I'm afraid DC takes itself too seriously to get this right, either.
    Same problem with your comment. Nobody is talking about horror genre or even a non optimistic tone. Even if the villains are monsters in eerie settings. DeMatteis actually did stuff close to this in a number of JLI stories and once again in the Brave and the Bold episode in which Batman becomes a vampire. The villain and the setting are dark and creepy, in a vintage horror sort of way, but the hero(s) are normal and they don't get scared by the monsters at all (unless it's for comical effects).
    Last edited by Rafa-Rivas-2099; 01-18-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa-Rivas-2099 View Post
    . . . Nobody is talking about horror genre or even a non optimistic tone. Even if the villains are monsters in eerie settings. DeMatteis actually did stuff close to this in a number of JLI stories and once again in the Brave and the Bold episode in which Batman becomes a vampire. The villain and the setting are dark and creepy, in a vintage horror sort of way, but the hero(s) are normal and they don't get scared by the monsters at all (unless it's for comical effects).
    It's one thing to maybe just do an arc along those lines, but the premise in your original message made it sound like doing that as the overall direction for the title.

And still not really interested. Mythological creatures at present are enough when it comes to monsters for her to deal with.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It's one thing to maybe just do an arc along those lines, but the premise in your original message made it sound like doing that as the overall direction for the title.

And still not really interested. Mythological creatures at present are enough when it comes to monsters for her to deal with.
    Well, there are actually grounds for that already: Nazi revivials (which ins this kind of fiction goes hand in hand with Nazi mad scientists), the Earl of Greed, Dr. Poison, the Duke of Deception, Egg Fu, and all sorts of weird greek creatures. I think there's enough for a run or a second title, or maybe an on and off thing.

Wonder Woman has great trouble finding its genre, anyway. If you think about it Wonder Woman's original role was "super special agent", not so much "greek demi-goddess". A lot more Captain America than Thor. Super special agents fight mad scientists and dictators (not so far: Dr. Psycho, Dr. Poison, Dr. Cyber, Paula von Gunther, Egg Fu, etc.).

Well, there are actually grounds for that already: Nazi revivials (which ins this kind of fiction goes hand in hand with Nazi mad scientists), the Earl of Greed, Dr. Poison, the Duke of Deception, Egg Fu, and all sorts of weird greek creatures. I think there's enough for a run or a second title, or maybe an on and off thing.

Wonder Woman has great trouble finding its genre, anyway. If you think about it Wonder Woman's original role was "super special agent", not so much "greek demi-goddess". A lot more Captain America than Thor. Super special agents fight mad scientists and dictators (not so far: Dr. Psycho, Dr. Poison, Dr. Cyber, Paula von Gunther, Egg Fu, etc.).
    But that's not who she is in the New 52 at present, and even though this isn't the WWII-based Wonder Woman, I'm enjoying what we currently have.

I don't see why Wonder Woman couldn't stand as a Ripley or Alice type character in a horror story. One that is working against what seem insurmountable odds but isn't truly afraid of the monsters but instead uses her own skills and knowledge to fight for what she believes in and to save those around her.
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

But that's not who she is in the New 52 at present, and even though this isn't the WWII-based Wonder Woman, I'm enjoying what we currently have.
    Ok, I'm more confused now. Aren't you normally really conservative? I hought I was the only conservative guy who doesn't mind Azzarello's run. I'm also confused in that the current run isn't so far from what I'm saying either. You combine the way Diana is handled as a goverment agent in JL + the eerie tone of Azarello, and the only thing you need is a mad scientist. Take Dr. Moon (a one time WW foe who is obsessed with brain experiments) and you have you have Wonder Woman vs. the Cybernetic Zombies.

Azarello's current run is one of the best things going on in comics right now. I love monsters but the whole Greek mythology thing is working great for her right now. If it's not broken, why try to fix it?

BANNED

I am a bit confused; you mention she used to be more 'super special agent' than 'demi-goddess'. And you want her to go back from current demi-goddess to another round of special agent?

I like that she still the same wonder woman but I'm disgusted by what they did to the amazons and screwed over all of wonder woman rich history. The all Zeus thing is not as special as the clay. I hate how she written in JL. I don't like the sea god being a fish. I don't want Diana being Zeus kid because it cliche and all the power ups. Don't like the new amazons and don't like New 52. There were many things that I wish they they add to the new 52 from old universe. the big three now seem to be to much like batman in a sense of dark and moody.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonemachine View Post
    Azarello's current run is one of the best things going on in comics right now. I love monsters but the whole Greek mythology thing is working great for her right now. If it's not broken, why try to fix it?
    but you can said the same with the clay origin and the amazons they weren't broken so why fix it. So it can go both ways. The clay origin was not broken and the amazons were not broken in the old universe so why bother fixing them.
    Last edited by UsagiTsukino; 01-18-2013 at 02:42 PM.