Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    If you wanna' talk old sitcom DVDs screwed over by music rights, I have 4 letters for you...
    What are the four letters?
    Visit my comics blog http://mugshotcomics.com become a member, leave a comment. Updated twice weekly

Murphy Brown is dead in the water over music rights as well as WKRP in Cincinnatti
    Song of the South-not wanting to deal with the PC police

Quote Originally Posted by Eumenides View Post
    It's in syndication though, that's how I saw it as a kid. My perception is that it's rarer in other industries, I don't hear stories of Martin Scorsese having shelved films because of lawsuits (financing is another matter), or popular writers like J.K. Rowling or Stephen King having books entangled in legal issues. It doesn't happen, but in comics there are a few by Morrison and Moore at least that are out of print because of legal problems.
    Batman TV show is an exception, along with many Japanese movies (live action Yamato, modern Ultraman, etc). I think we just know more about the examples with comics because that's our bailiwick.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate scarlet spider View Post
    Well let me ask you guys this: How about Neil Gaiman's run? Is it just as good? better? or worse?
    I wasn't very impressed, to be honest. It's all a logical outgrowth of the world with basically a god class, able to do anything, but I found it all really quite dull and rarher a let down after Moore's series, of which I was huge fan, though I did read the Gaiman stories many years later. I'm coming to the conclusion that I actually don't like Gaiman's writing that much. Admittedly, I've only ready 1602, Marvelman, Black Orchid, one collection of short stories and 3(?) novels, but the only thing of his that I've really liked was the brilliant Good Omens, which was written with Terry Pratchett.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Garth View Post
    I'm coming to the conclusion that I actually don't like Gaiman's writing that much. Admittedly, I've only ready 1602, Marvelman, Black Orchid, one collection of short stories and 3(?) novels, but the only thing of his that I've really liked was the brilliant Good Omens, which was written with Terry Pratchett.
    I think he's highly overrated as a novelist, myself. His best comics work, though (Sandman i particular), stands up with anything else out there.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Well let me ask you guys this: How about Neil Gaiman's run? Is it just as good? better? or worse?
    I thought it was simply different!

I loved the Moore run, and I believe you can only read that series in the context of what other stuff was being published at the time, and what was going on in 1980s Britain (Thatcher, CND, Strikes yada-yada). It really shared a lot of the themes of V for Vendetta. It just went a different way with its logical outcome, I guess.

As for Gaiman, this is like his warm up for Sandman. And I quite enjoyed the pure ambition of what he attempted to do with Miracleman. The style was very different, which you can see in the 'Vertigo-like' covers that Gaiman's Miracleman books had. It felt very, and I mean this in a good way, fairy tale-ish.

The real tragedy of the Gaiman run was that it was never finished, there was no doubt it was definitely going somewhere, and was building up a suitable amount of momentum getting there. I remember reading on CBR that when Marvel announced the purchase of the Marvelman rights that Gaiman was supposed to show some interest in finishing it, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I think the most memorable issue was the one with the Andy Warhols, and I think that was because it worked as a one-shot. If you love this book, you'll understand Gaiman's run.

Not sure if it is another step closer to publishing these again by Marvel, but they seem to have trademarked the phrase Kimota recently for use in comics and other publications...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/...emarks-kimota/

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Would anyone like it if Marvelman is brought into the Marvel Universe? Like with the Marvel characters not just published by Marvel?

I wish I could read it but people keep telling me to torrent it, but I wouldn't feel right about that as I would be stealing from Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, and the artist that they worked with. Maybe I'm just too much of a goodie goodie.

Would anyone like it if Marvelman is brought into the Marvel Universe? Like with the Marvel characters not just published by Marvel?
    No. Nobody would like that.

I wish I could read it but people keep telling me to torrent it, but I wouldn't feel right about that as I would be stealing from Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, and the artist that they worked with. Maybe I'm just too much of a goodie goodie.
    My personal philosophy is, if it's out of print it's fair game.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    No. Nobody would like that.
    I wish that were true, but I'm sure there are lots of comics readers who feel that nothing is so good that it wouldn't be even better if it were part if the Marvel or DC Universe.

It would be a disaster, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rob fleming View Post
    What are the four letters?
    As it seems that no one has answered this yet for you, I will: WKRP

It is almost impossible to find those episodes - even in those still airing in syndication on TV - as they originally aired on TV - all because of music rights.

The only DVD set to come out has the same issue.

In many cases they actually have used DIFFERENT actors to mimic the cast in ADR sessions (dubbing sessions) so as to cover the original music with dialogue.

It's a shame - but SCTV's DVD releases were also altered for the same reasons - but their sketches, unlike WKRP didn't hinge on the music so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitzy Pretzelpants View Post
    As it seems that no one has answered this yet for you, I will: WKRP

It is almost impossible to find those episodes - even in those still airing in syndication on TV - as they originally aired on TV - all because of music rights.

The only DVD set to come out has the same issue.

In many cases they actually have used DIFFERENT actors to mimic the cast in ADR sessions (dubbing sessions) so as to cover the original music with dialogue.

It's a shame - but SCTV's DVD releases were also altered for the same reasons - but their sketches, unlike WKRP didn't hinge on the music so much.
    Wow! That is crazy.

Maybe Marvel could start changing word balloons and rearranging panels in Marvel/Miracleman. Cut that nasty evil old warlock Alan Moore right out!
    Visit my comics blog http://mugshotcomics.com become a member, leave a comment. Updated twice weekly

Alan Moore is not the one holding this back in any way, shape or form.