Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The series didn't end with FrankenCastle, and Remender actually brought the character back to normal before he ended his run. So not sure what your point is there.

That being said, obviously if this story isnt' for you there's no reason for you to read it, but the idea that characters simply CANT bleed into other genres besides the ones they are known for is just being close minded.

I dunno, dropping a book because of one plot point that hasn't yet been fully explained just seems really silly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by J/O/J/O View Post
    Wow this was f**ked up.I mean the maid!What did Zola do to the MAID!
    And now there's a Zola in Steve's chest,Hmmmm.
    I was about to drop this series but f**k it I'm sticking around!
    Doc Ock called. He wants his mad scheme to inhabit a hero back. j/k

This was a much better issue than 1&2. But since those issues were horrible this book still has a long long way to go to keep me on. Granted my reaction was similar to yours. The power of a cliffhanger! I didn't care for how the cliffhanger misdirection of last issue turned out - that Cap was easily in striking distance to stop the execution of the kid in midswing of the cut. Also, ...NOW Cap decides to try the translator?! After it was almost too late. Sheesh.

My guess is that Zola smartly has the real Cap body in stasis and this is a clone body design of his out for a test run.

Ian's body could also be more clone than human and is the reason he grew so fast. It's freaky to think that the little girl JET that Zola is fawning over might be a quickly grown JET BLACK that is solicited in the next issue:
    http://www.inter-comics.com/shop/ima...04_COV_col.jpg

The Zola flashback was better than the 1930 cliche one. Cap as a victim of bullys has been done to death but I suppose it was for the newer readers benefit - and to be fair, if that IS Arnie Roth then this new part of his youth possibly could be interesting if he returns as a supporting character (just like Foggy is to DD). The sequence did go on a bit which just felt delaying.

Good fight sequence and cliffhanger but still leary of the title's success based on this arc.

Preview.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prv14837_cov.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	107393
    Last edited by Bookem Danno; 01-18-2013 at 02:18 PM.

I'd hate to be the kind of person that didn't love this comic.
    The Circumstances at the End

Top 10: Astro City, Captain America, East of West, Hawkeye, Lazarus, New Avengers, Saga, Thor: God of Thunder, Wonder Woman, Zero

I've got mixed feelings about the book so far. I'm enjoying on a whole, but I'm confused as to what to expect and how to approach the book. First I thought I was going to get a lone wolf and cub style book... then Cap gets captured, but now he's hanging out... and now he's got a Zola in him. What in the world?

With that said... I'm looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    Doc Ock called. He wants his mad scheme to inhabit a hero back. j/k

This was a much better issue than 1&2. But since those issues were horrible this book still has a long long way to go to keep me on. Granted my reaction was similar to yours. The power of a cliffhanger! I didn't care for how the cliffhanger misdirection of last issue turned out - that Cap was easily in striking distance to stop the execution of the kid in midswing of the cut. Also, ...NOW Cap decides to try the translator?! After it was almost too late. Sheesh.

My guess is that Zola smartly has the real Cap body in stasis and this is a clone body design of his out for a test run.

Ian's body could also be more clone than human and is the reason he grew so fast. It's freaky to think that the little girl JET that Zola is fawning over might be a quickly grown JET BLACK that is solicited in the next issue:
    http://www.inter-comics.com/shop/ima...04_COV_col.jpg

The Zola flashback was better than the 1930 cliche one. Cap as a victim of bullys has been done to death but I suppose it was for the newer readers benefit - and to be fair, if that IS Arnie Roth then this new part of his youth possibly could be interesting if he returns as a supporting character (just like Foggy is to DD). The sequence did go on a bit which just felt delaying.

Good fight sequence and cliffhanger but still leary of the title's success based on this arc.

That Arnie Roth must have been his father, because the current Arnie is too young to be around today. All of Caps friends died already.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

I loved the first issue, thought the second was bad, and this is back to loving again. Dunno why, but I really felt this issue. Though I still have issues with JRJr's kids. That is Cap's old friend Arnie Roth, but he is dead now, died back in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by oldforce View Post
    I'd hate to be the kind of person that didn't love this comic.
    I would love to love it, but the writing just isnt good, so far.

the art and writing just isn't clicking in a harmonious fashion, like all the good comics. I'll stick with it for a bit more, though.
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Frankencastle was the most fun Punisher book in years. Now we're back to boring, decompressed, dull-as-dishwater Rucka Punisher stories. Straight ahead police procedural, po-faced crime story.

This is the first time I've been excited about a Cap book since pre-Captain America Reborn days.

Anyone have a gander at the solicitation for April's issue, which mentions something about Steve being "dead" and a "Captain Zola" taking over, which I assume will be the next step for this arc: the good Doctor Zola taking full control of Steve's body and doing god-knows-what.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    That is Cap's old friend Arnie Roth, but he is dead now, died back in the 90s.
    An Arnie Roth was still alive in 2007 according to wicki. When you say Roth was Caps old friend, is this referenced anywhere else besides this issue?
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    I would love to love it, but the writing just isnt good, so far.

the art and writing just isn't clicking in a harmonious fashion, like all the good comics. I'll stick with it for a bit more, though.
    Sure it is!
    The Circumstances at the End

Top 10: Astro City, Captain America, East of West, Hawkeye, Lazarus, New Avengers, Saga, Thor: God of Thunder, Wonder Woman, Zero

Very dull issue, only liked the scenes with the flashbacks and the final twist.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

I'm disappointed I continued this far and have the next two issues pre-ordered (and can't cancel them.) I just can't gel with Remender and this issue settled it- this is the 3rd strike. If he ever writes Moon Knight, I won't go near it. It's obvious that Remender's love here is for Zola NOT Steve. He can sugarcoat the whole growing up in the Depression thing as much as he wants, but I'm really burnt on the villains using Steve's body as a way to defeat the world.

Equally disappointing is how Slott's status quo seems to be the new thing at Marvel: let the villains override the decent, "good" heroes. So unfortunate, but at least my wallet won't be groaning any more.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    An Arnie Roth was still alive in 2007 according to wicki. When you say Roth was Caps old friend, is this referenced anywhere else besides this issue?
    Nope, Arnie died in 1995 right near the end of Gruenwald's run... Cap in armor. Died of cancer. He was a childhood friend of Cap's right from his introduction in the 80s.

That Arnie Roth must have been his father, because the current Arnie is too young to be around today. All of Caps friends died already.
    Jeepers, you're right of course, in hindsight it makes that scene even more unbearably long to establish that connection. Unless maybe their is a connection to his lookalike son which would seem far too contrived. More leary about the title now.

IIRC, Arnie was a supporting castmember back circa stern/byrne with respectable showings and believable/canon connection to knowing Steve years earlier. Whether it those issues still happened in the NOW era the timesliding makes Arnie connection to this guy in this issue impossible to justify without a lot more explanation it appears.