Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SanctumSanctorumComix View Post
    Well, let's just say you really buy into the idea of the world's smartest and most powerful heroes gathered together to stop some of the greatest threats to creation as a whole...
    Don't you think they'd really spend more than the few minutes to say; "Hey, shit is blowing up!" "Let's go punch it so it stops!"... and perhaps get the facts.
    The facts of this particular case are a bit complex (hence the need for powerpoint diagrams) and requires some analysis and thought.

Sure, not EVERYTHING needs theoretical physics and navel-gazing, but this instance of scientific and theoretical occurrences - AND a mystery behind its very nature and reason for occurring in the first place - might require the deep thought to help solve the problem of how to stop it/ undo it/ reverse it - or fight it.... or how to finally accept it and blow up some planets.

Just my 2cents
    Agreed, it's pretty good organic storytelling. IGN's reviewer seems to get it.

Smarter Than The Average! The Cat's Avatar

Just read New Avengers #2... Imo, it was an excellent read. I would have really like it, if issue #1 an #2 was combined,
    but aside from that small detail if the quality writing and artwork continues, I'm be getting this for the long run...

Quote Originally Posted by Goldgeller View Post
    True enough. It was slow, and I think Hickman overemphasized the universes being destroyed, at the extent of some of the characterization-- as a result, the book feels like it could've been any overserious sci-fi comic book. The Namor/Panther meeting should've really been much more interesting than it was. I have high-expectations for Hickman, and right now I assume he's just taking his time, but he hopefully he speeds it up.
    I think Hickman is similar to Bendis, in that entire arcs are better read in one sitting. Reading things in trade form just works better, because things can move a bit slowly. There's a descent amount of talking heads and exposition (which is normal even first issues even from non-decompressed writers).

Personally, I think the first issue should have been double sized, with the first and second issue combined. But ultimately in the end I think we're going to get a good story either way.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think Hickman is similar to Bendis, in that entire arcs are better read in one sitting. Reading things in trade form just works better, because things can move a bit slowly. There's a descent amount of talking heads and exposition (which is normal even first issues even from non-decompressed writers).

Personally, I think the first issue should have been double sized, with the first and second issue combined. But ultimately in the end I think we're going to get a good story either way.
    Hickman has said that the first issue was double sized, but Marvel wouldn't print it that way, so they split it into two issues. The first and second issue ARE really meant to be read as one issue, New Avengers #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Hickman has said that the first issue was double sized, but Marvel wouldn't print it that way, so they split it into two issues. The first and second issue ARE really meant to be read as one issue, New Avengers #1.
    Okay, that sort of makes more sense in regards to the first issue being so BP centric.

I did kind of think it was a little weird that in the very first issue of a team book, the rest of the team played such a small role. Combined with the second issue, it actually balances out quite well since T'Challa didn't have a whole lot to say in the Illuminati meeting. Though what he did say had impact.

Technically they worked in the Ultraverse. Unfortunately that occured before they decided the gems only work in the 616.
    What happened in the Ultraverse story mentioned?? Who was invovlved from 616?

Quote Originally Posted by Etoma View Post
    Oh good bloody heavens, who cares what the book is titled. Is that really a reason to give it a lower rating??? I don't care if it's given half a star, but at least have a better reason than "New Avengers" #2 doesn't look like an Avengers book. It doesn't read like an Avengers book." Seriously, since when is book judge on how well it correlates to it's title bloody title?? Would have gotten four stars if it was titled Illuminati instead?
    Well, calling themselves New Avengers is an unwanted and unconnected distraction to me too. Unfortunately, it is understandably it is a necessary evil invoked by Marketing.

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    Well, calling themselves New Avengers is an unwanted and unconnected distraction to me too. Unfortunately, it is understandably it is a necessary evil invoked by Marketing.
    They're not calling themselves that. It's part marketing and part the fact that Illuminati stories have always been under the New Avengers imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    They're not calling themselves that. It's part marketing and part the fact that Illuminati stories have always been under the New Avengers imprint.
    Hickman's been clear that they don't call themselves Illuminati -- or anything. They're not a team, they don't have a home base, they don't have a motto or a battle cry, and they certainly don't hang out together after hours.

*cough*Defenders*cough*

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chariset View Post
    Hickman's been clear that they don't call themselves Illuminati -- or anything. They're not a team, they don't have a home base, they don't have a motto or a battle cry, and they certainly don't hang out together after hours.

*cough*Defenders*cough*
    i'm surprised that they didn't just call it Defenders. are they that cynical about the name's marketability?
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Yeah, but I'll take Hickman word when he says it's not Defenders. Fearless is the NOW Defenders. Got a point, the only thing is that Illiumati is a concept different then Defenders I think.

Yeah Defenders would make much more sense. Dr. Strange on call to gather the ex-Illuminati. I would much prefer say I am buying a title name than an imprint name.

This is true. Although I must say, Bendis has been doing an excellent job in ANXM with the brisk pacing, and packing so much into every page. Maybe I should back pedal a bit-- give Hickman more time. I don't think his work on FF and F4 struck me as being so slow, but I was able to read them in large chunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    That's a shame. Cause I think NA suffered because of it. I tend to give writers the story arc. Issue by issue is very important to me, but I don't drop a book until the arc is finished. I'm sure Hickman will speed it it up soon-- he probably just chose to front load all the heavy stuff.

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chariset View Post

*cough*Defenders*cough*
    I know, the only one that has referred to them as the Illuminati is Tony. Like you said, they're not a super hero team, their only purpose is to solve major crises and sometimes they don't even do that together.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Freeman View Post
    Yeah, but I'll take Hickman word when he says it's not Defenders. Fearless is the NOW Defenders. Got a point, the only thing is that Illiumati is a concept different then Defenders I think.
    He swears it's not Defenders, but... it's Defenders.

Un-team? Check.
    Some of the members hate each other? Check.
    Powerful heroes who don't play well with others? Check?
    Get together when one person calls them, to handle truly massive and scary threats that should remain hidden from the world at large? Check.
    Namor and Strange are two of the founding members? Check.

The only thing missing is everyone breaking up once the threat is over, saying 'Never call on us again,' and that's only because they haven't solved the major threat yet.