Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Nocenti and Sanchez Tease "Katana" #1

DC Comics has released a first look at artist Alex Sanchez's interior art for "Katana" #1, along with comments by series writer Ann Nocenti. Katana's New 52 debut issue hits stores February 13.

Full article here.

Wow. The art looks pretty great. Hope Nocenti doesn't mess this up. Her Green Arrow was pretty "meh", and her Catwoman is only slightly better than that. Fingers crossed/

I wish this to be released in just black'n'white.
    Chris Sims's interview with Nocenti on CA is enjoyable. He asked very thoughtful questions, not just lame generic ones.

I love Alex Sanchez's art for this comic. It looks BEAUTIFUL! I am truly looking forward to reading this. To be quite honest I never really knew anything much about Katana until both this comic and Beware The Batman were announced.

I've been a huge fan of Katana since her debut in Batman And The Outsiders in 1983. Say, that makes this Katana's 30th anniversary!

I like Nocenti, but was on the fence pending Sanchez's artwork. This looks stunning so I'm happy to be on board right out of the gate. Can't wait to buy this!

still don't know what to think of this... seems OK but maybe she's not a strong enough character to keep a solo book... not a big fan, i think she looks Elektra 2.0
    Comic Book Deaths 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SvM6adTeY

Bring back Ultimate DAZZLER!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoDaCosta View Post
    still don't know what to think of this... seems OK but maybe she's not a strong enough character to keep a solo book... not a big fan, i think she looks Elektra 2.0
    But if we use that logic, then aren't all characters with similar powers or similar looks just all rip-offs of each other? By your definition, Elektra is almost Red Sonja with black hair. And then there's Barbarella, et cetera.

Part of what makes Katana unique is her sword, the Soultaker, and its power to steal the souls of human beings--thus keeping them alive in the sword. I hope at some point Nocenti is able to get into how the Soultaker works and if anyone else is trapped in the sword besides her husband. Maybe other beings or other creatures?

Better yet, it would also be cool to see a storyarc where Katana herself enters the world of the Soultaker.

Lots of potential here!

That's some really nice art there and it's tempting to pick it up merely for that reason. I'm going to revise my thoughts on not picking this up and instead wait until I have it in my hand. Maybe Nocenti will surprise me on this one.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

That's some seriously cool artwork there. Real down for this.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    That's some really nice art there and it's tempting to pick it up merely for that reason. I'm going to revise my thoughts on not picking this up and instead wait until I have it in my hand. Maybe Nocenti will surprise me on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
    That's some seriously cool artwork there. Real down for this.
    It's nice to see Alex Sanchez's art is getting such an enthusiastic response and some people are thusly keeping an open mind. How refreshing! I hope the book reads well and continues to build on this initial positive buzz.

BANNED

Hopefully Nocenti's work reads better with a more skilled artist. I actually liked her ideas in Green Arrow, but Williams and Tobilao weren't doing them justice at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Hopefully Nocenti's work reads better with a more skilled artist. I actually liked her ideas in Green Arrow, but Williams and Tobilao weren't doing them justice at all.
    Very well-said! I like both artists' work very much, but neither seemed to be a good match for what Nocenti was trying to do in terms of plot and characterization.

I think this is the ideal book for Nocenti. Her eccentric qualities are a perfect fit for Katana (an unstable character, to say the least) and her world (very exotic and foreign). The art totally upholds that in both cases (unstable and exotic). I expect this book to be pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
    It's nice to see Alex Sanchez's art is getting such an enthusiastic response and some people are thusly keeping an open mind. How refreshing! I hope the book reads well and continues to build on this initial positive buzz.
    I try to keep an open mind most of the time but I will drop it of Nocenti's work here fails to impress me even though the art is impressive on it's own. I've not been very impressed with her thus far and I really don't have the extra cash to spend on a book for just the art much as I might like it.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.