Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas-Con View Post
    This and daredevil issue 22 were both good there both suspcious particularly since spidey isn't cracking jokes.
    Which is why this charade won't last long, since Otto isn't making any attempts to pretend that he's Peter. Right now he's only stonewalled the X-Men, since they won't probe him without permission. Even if he finds a way to block out telepaths, that will make them more suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunstorm View Post
    Which is why this charade won't last long, since Otto isn't making any attempts to pretend that he's Peter. Right now he's only stonewalled the X-Men, since they won't probe him without permission. Even if he finds a way to block out telepaths, that will make them more suspicious.
    Could have ended right there. If he didnt convince them then and the XMen found out what happened, Rachel could have easily just delete the Ock persona with her telepathy and Peter would be back to normal.

I'm sure that quite a few people will be suspicious and investigate through the years, will make for some great stories. I'm looking forward to Norman Osborn coming into the mix at some point. Only been a few issues and I'm loving all of this already.

Hopefully if Pete does come back then SpOck will get his own Spider body and continue, but at this point I'm in no hurry for that day.

I enjoyed Avenging Spidey. I like the quick glance of how Otto is acclimating to being Spider-Man, but also because the issue highlighted Wolverine and the X-Men's team of X-Men - a team that deserves far more play. Otto aside - that was a really interesting thing for me about this book. If that team of X-Men drilled and were out not recruiting like this was supposed to be, but actually fighting in more serious battles to preserve mutants and such - they would be a powerhouse team. Yost wrote that X-Men team very well. If Aaron's book focused a bit more on that team of X-Men recruiting students - I'd be thrilled. They have a fun, but aggressive dynamic. ARG! There is so much potential for the X-Men books, I almost want to write one!

And apparently Octo-Spidey was in it too...............

It is actually kind of crazy how much I'm enjoying Otto as Peter Parker. I think it's a breath of fresh air for the book in a lot of ways - one the character as a whole didn't seem that it needed, but really did. I like the Otto set up things all over the city to make his job easier. To improve on Peter. To actually be a Superior Spider-Man. I appreciate that Yost took that seriously. I hope Slott brings some of those aspects in. I liked Superior 1 (until the last page - which felt really cheap) because he planned for the fight w/ the Sinister 6. He used new tech he developed. He did things Peter would have responded w/ for a 2nd or 3rd round - instead of planning ahead.

I hope Yost and Slott really stick w/ that. And I hope that Otto is, indeed, Spider-Man for a considerable chunk of the future. There is a great degree of potential for this.

CTT Grand High Priest Windrider's Avatar

I don't read Spider-Man at all but picked up this issue since the X-Men (more specifically Storm) was in it. Loved it! Chris Yost is such a great and wentertaining writer. I love his take on Spidey/Otto and I especially love his take on Storm (don't get that great characterization and power creatvity from all too often).

With this number and scarlet spider, I wonder: Why the hell not give Marvel Spider-Man Yost?
    Excellent comic truth, I liked this much more than "superior Spider-Man" # 1
    Hopefully in the near future, Yost is responsible for Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by SPIDER-FAN(1) View Post
    With this number and scarlet spider, I wonder: Why the hell not give Marvel Spider-Man Yost?
    Yost has done good stuff w/ Kaine, over in Scarlet Spider - but he's not taking over the flagship anytime soon. Slott was tweeting about his Spider-Man plans that extend well into the summer (so at least 12 issues as it's a bi-weekly book), and all of the interviews I've read, regarding Marvel NOW is that most scripts are planned out already by 15 or so months. Unless sales drop off like a rock - I cannot imagine a change in course now, as there is already SO MUCH invested in this. I mean - they're rewriting and redrawing pieces of Age of Ultron and all kinds of things as a result of Marvel NOW...so don't hope too hard. Slott is almost certainly in the writing chair for Spidey for the foreseeable future.

Same. Dear lord it'd be great.

In my dream universe Yost and Wells are running all the Spider-books (Wells writing Venom and co-writing the main book) together and every bad idea from the 90s came back done in Carnage U.S.A. quality or higher.

But Scarlet Spider and Avenging are pretty good, and dropping Venom and Superior means more stuff for other NOW books (and with Thanos coming up I need the cash)
    Thug: Tell... tell my wife i love her...
    Spider-man: No.

Read Spider-Man: Fear Itself (the mini series, not the OGN or the one-shot). It's by Yost and is just as good as everything else he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by MorningMoon View Post
    Same. Dear lord it'd be great.

In my dream universe Yost and Wells are running all the Spider-books (Wells writing Venom and co-writing the main book) together and every bad idea from the 90s came back done in Carnage U.S.A. quality or higher.

But Scarlet Spider and Avenging are pretty good, and dropping Venom and Superior means more stuff for other NOW books (and with Thanos coming up I need the cash)
    Slott is an exceptional writer, but Yost and Wells have both shocked me with their storytelling genius. I'd be thrilled for either of them to get a/the Spider-Man book one day.

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Any comic that features Spider-man taking down Wolverine is a 5-star book IMO.
    Between this and All-New X-Men this week, Wolverine got his ass kicked twice and I love it. So far, I actually find this comic more funny and entertaining than Superior. I like Superior so far, don't get me wrong, but Chris Yost is probably one of the funniest, most entertaining writers working right now.

(Don't tell anybody, but I liked Avenging by Yost better than the Slott version, too. Shush).
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Read Spider-Man: Fear Itself (the mini series, not the OGN or the one-shot). It's by Yost and is just as good as everything else he's done.

Slott is an exceptional writer, but Yost and Wells have both shocked me with their storytelling genius. I'd be thrilled for either of them to get a/the Spider-Man book one day.
    What little I have read of Yost didn't impress me, but was presentable. Sometimes a creator meets a character that just seems to make the writer shine, and this book is one of those times. Well done Yost.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunstorm View Post
    Yes but Ock has no humour he's too serious.

Wow, I actually enjoyed this a lot more than Superior, which is probably saying something. Yost's protrayal of SpOck in this title is a lot more interesting than SSM. IMO, he "gets" the character of SpOck more.

Plus, it is nice to see SpOck interacting with the different personalities in the Marvel Universe. We get SpOck's perspective of the X-Men and mutants in general when he was assessing the members of the group. And of course, him beating up Wolverine was a sight to see.

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    I've mentioned before, but one of my main problems with Avenging as a title is the lack of narrative cohesion from issue to issue; it's not that I expect the whole thing to be a single long storyline, but it would be nice if there was a running threat or sub-plot to link the otherwise stand-alone stories. (Zeb Wells seemed like he might have been going in that direction, but ultimately the Serpent Society sub-plot when nowhere. And with the exception of 15.1, I found Avenging's ties to other books to be sub-par.)

But with the mastermind revealed at the end, we're onto something new. Not only is that villain a large enough threat on his own, but there's extra intrigue because he and Spock haven't crossed paths before, in either of Spock's identities. This...oh, this should be fun.
    Now that Yost is staying in Avenging, hopefully we could get the narrative cohesion that you're talking about. Before all this, the book was just a bunch of team-up short stories by different writers.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    What little I have read of Yost didn't impress me, but was presentable. Sometimes a creator meets a character that just seems to make the writer shine, and this book is one of those times. Well done Yost.
    I highly recommend giving Scarlet Spider a chance or two. Alternatively, watch the Avengers cartoon that came out just a little while ago (it's entirely on netflix) and you can see how much talent this man has.
    Thug: Tell... tell my wife i love her...
    Spider-man: No.