Veteran Member

Default Deathstroke #16 Discussion/Spoilers

This continues to be a quite exciting action title.

Deathstroke is planning to kill the unkillable man and Justin Jordan implements a pretty interesting solution to it. Slade is really smart and competent here, even more than in Kyle Higgins' run (and of course, the other one) and the dialogue shows great personality from the main character, villain and side characters.

The art is also improved too. Really good issue overall.

It sounds like a really good read. Justin Jordan seems to really have a good grasp of Deathstroke. I read over at comicvine that they tease the next issue with something about how to fight 10,000 ninja's, and I can't wait to see that.

A really good issue. I hope sales pickup; Jordan seems to be writing a capable Deathstroke who is both badass as well as intelligent.
    - Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
    Winston Churchill

BANNED

This has to be the first time I've found Deathstroke likable.

Pretty good issue. I found it kinda funny that Slade was fighting someone with powers similar to Deadpool. The last panel was great. He seemed generally amused that "everyone" is trying to kill him.

BANNED

Wasn't this supposed to be about Jericho?

I really think Deathstroke's book should feature something besides violence and gore. He's supposed to be a smart character. Either way, I didn't buy the story at all. I don't see anyone actually doing that to himself.

I really enjoyed this one. I'm glad that both DC and I decided to take another chance on Deathstroke.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

Awesome.

Loving DS's wit. Heres hoping these guys will keep the title running longer. Finally my fav DC villain is being done some justice.

Art was better than the last too.

An immensely satisfying read.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    They changed it for the better.

I really think Deathstroke's book should feature something besides violence and gore. He's supposed to be a smart character. Either way, I didn't buy the story at all. I don't see anyone actually doing that to himself.
    Slade has been much more intelligent in this arc than in all the previous issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post

You'd be surprised at what people would do for honor and pride.

Truly not bad.

I'm not opposed to truly brutal moments of bloodshed, but I feel like despite doing some things very well, the artist doesn't lend these brutal moments any of the weight they need. The book would feel a lot better if it was more grounded in reality, so that even though Deathstroke can do some incredible physical things, he doesn't seem supernatural - just enhanced.

He's very para-military, so if more attention was paid to small stuff that's kind of important for real people - having to remove bullets from himself, having to eat lunch and have a healthy regimen, having TONS of missions and jobs require no civilian casualties so his discipline can come in the form of restraint, so when he unleashes himself fully it's really something to see. And the enemies - same idea. I thought Koschei might have been stitching up that bloodied guy on the table. A villain who actually moderately cares about his personal guard and is less than a mustache twirling braggart about how bad-ass and unbeatable he is leads to a more human story, and any kind of sympathy with the villain leads to a story that falls in that total Gray Area which works for a guy like Deathstroke, who makes his trade in territory that's fairly unethical.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com