Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Threshold #1 Discussion/Spoilers

That was a pretty nice introduction to a new concept.

Keith Giffen does a good job at presenting the new characters he's creating or reimagining who are playing an important role in a survival game called "The Hunted" while also introducing its rules.

The main characters automatically shine. Jediah Caul, Stealth, Ember, Ric Starr from the Space Rangers, etc. All of them portrayed with a good dose of classic Giffen humor. However, the character I'm anticipating the most is going to appear in the next issue, I'm sure you know who is he.

The backup was incredibly entertaining. Larfleeze writing a book just like the Guardians, that idea is just so fun and the ending hilarious.

What more can I say? Oh, yeah the art is pretty. Go buy it.

I completely agree with you, probably the strongest first issue of any of the post-first wave New 52 books. Giffen's world building and introduction of several key players is just masterful. He makes a lot of exposition feel not exposition-y, which is a tough thing to do.

The main feature is exciting and adrenalin-fueled, and I can't wait until the next issue. The backup is hilarious. Exactly what you would expect from a Larfleeze starring story without him "losing his teeth" like a certain rage-filled Lantern has in his own series.

Completely forgot this was coming out today, but I just picked it up on Comixology. Thanks for the reminder!
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

And so, my monthly Threshold question begins.

Did Blue Beetle appear in this issue? I know the solicit for #2 has him included, but just wondering if he appears here to build to that.
    Oversized Hardcover Videos!
    Latest uploads - The Planetary Omnibus, Invisibles Deluxe, Before Watchmen: Nite/Owl Dr Manhattan, Wasteland Apocalyptic Edition

Quote Originally Posted by TehJofus View Post
    And so, my monthly Threshold question begins.

Did Blue Beetle appear in this issue? I know the solicit for #2 has him included, but just wondering if he appears here to build to that.
    No but his arrival is hinted at

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Volkditty View Post
    Completely forgot this was coming out today, but I just picked it up on Comixology. Thanks for the reminder!
    My job here is done.

I enjoyed it. Dense, kinetic, characterful, creative.

It didn't blow me away. Some fun stuff happened, the world was elucidated nicely, every character feels distinct. It's solid stuff, but nothing that 'wowed' me.

Excited for more.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Go buy it.
    Have it on order, good to see the first reactions are good. With Giffen writing they pretty much already had me guaranteed to give it a try though.

Main story was good. Lots of slang I need to get used to, but interesting so far. Backup was absolutely hilarious. "In the beginning there was Larfleeze."
    Superhero Popularity Study

New and improved second poll is up!

Heh. Larfleeze has Doctor Who's TARDIS in his haul. Of course he does. :D

A good, solid first issue. Enjoyed it a lot, and look forward to the next one! Blue Beetle is a favourite character, and the hints towards his presence point towards him having an agreeably significant role and permanent presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Heh. Larfleeze has Doctor Who's TARDIS in his haul. Of course he does. :D
    SOLD! I was on the fence about this series until known (I like Giffen and Blue Beetle, but the whole Hunted concept wasn't grabbing me), but this convinced me.

Ive been considering getting this but havent read the new guardiand annual. How important is that to understanding whats going on here?
    Top 5:
    1. Green Arrow
    2. Saga
    3. The Walking Dead
    4. Swamp Thing
    5. Batman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rellum View Post
    Ive been considering getting this but havent read the new guardiand annual. How important is that to understanding whats going on here?
    Is not necessary but it was pretty fun on itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Is not necessary but it was pretty fun on itself.
    Great. Thanks for your help!!
    Top 5:
    1. Green Arrow
    2. Saga
    3. The Walking Dead
    4. Swamp Thing
    5. Batman

Was pleasantly surprised by this issue. Not having read GLNG Annual, I didn't miss a beat. The main feature has several interconnecting plot points that should be interesting. Lots of action and good dialogue. I hope Giffen expands on the characters a bit, as they have potential. Really great art in this issue.

The backup was outstanding. Absolutely hilarious and was a joy to read. My nomination for comic book line of the year: "In the beginning, there was Larfleeze." lol

Ratings:
    Main Feature: 4/5
    Back-up: 5/5
    - Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
    Winston Churchill