Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Actually, those threads are more like standing in a bar and yelling "Who likes Twilight? And no one gets to answer unless their answer is 'me'!"
    The one I started originally didn't have the word 'appreciation' in it! That was Cronin's doing, 2 or 3 years later! The blame for that one falls squarely on his shoulders!

Quote Originally Posted by spunksf View Post
    Humans developed language due to a deep seated need to complain.
    There is a theory in evolutionary biology that says pretty narly exactly that. (More precisely, humans evolved language in order to argue as a way to establish social dominance.)
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

Dreadstar was guilty:

OH, I've seen Jackass. And it made me laugh. And I may have even nasally ejected soda at one point. It's kind of the 3 stooges taken to the next level, but without any restraining art being involved. But it always makes me feel 3-shower-dirty.
    A steady stream of my old roomie calling me over to the computer to "Look at this!" over stupid ass garage wrestling kids injuring themselves just made me numb to the whole concept.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    I remember back in the day, that I had to fight the strong impulse to walk out of the theater while watching Superman 3.
    Walking out of a movie is OK. Complaining about said movie is even kosher. Going on ad infinitum about why the movie sucked, including footnotes, references, and sidebars insinuating that anyone who wasn't nearly as incensed as you is therefore in some way defective is . . . not.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

Iangould goes to sources:

There is a theory in evolutionary biology that says pretty narly exactly that. (More precisely, humans evolved language in order to argue as a way to establish social dominance.)
    Give Thog mate or Thog reproach and vituperate!!!
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar View Post
    Walking out of a movie is OK. Complaining about said movie is even kosher. Going on ad infinitum about why the movie sucked, including footnotes, references, and sidebars insinuating that anyone who wasn't nearly as incensed as you is therefore in some way defective is . . . not.
    But that's not exactly what we were talking about, was it?

I think the point was that if 100 people saw a movie, and 99 people liked the movie, there'd be at least ONE individual who *had* to go the contrarian route.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

Thog is such a dumb-ass. I say when we get toegther for the next big bison hunt we leave him behind.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

I remember when the first Iron Man film came out, I read this scathing blog post about how it was a travesty and ripped apart Marvel Studios and how they failed the spirit of the character and how the film should have been a period film, set in Vietnam, and various other complaints
    Support your local roller derby league

My brain does that to me when I watch movies based on books I've read. I've learned to tell my brain to stop being an asshole and just watch the movie, though.
    'Dox out.

When it comes to movies or TV shows based on Comics, I never expect them to follow it faithfully. But I am pleasantly surprised when they do include easter eggs or elements that comic geeks can enjoy. I thought the ending to the Watchmen movie was an improvement over the comic.
    Life is what you make it.

I hated the ending before seeing it, but that's kind of what I'm talking about.
    'Dox out.

Well, the comic ending was dopey and kind of detracted from the greatness of the mini. What did you think about it after you saw it?
    Life is what you make it.

Nothing beats tentacle space vagina.

icctrombone wonders:

Well, the comic ending was dopey and kind of detracted from the greatness of the mini. What did you think about it after you saw it?
    Same thing. My problem wasn't lack of space squid, it was that I don't think Dr. Manhattan, America's super-weapon, fits the "enemy we all have to bond against" role. But then I considered the whole movie to be kind of a superficial treatment, not that I thought it could be done otherwise (kind of hard to fit in the explorations and examinations of the comic book form in a movie...at least not in a way that would interest anyone). That and I'm NOT a Zack Snyder fan in the least.
    'Dox out.

Same thing. My problem wasn't lack of space squid, it was that I don't think Dr. Manhattan, America's super-weapon, fits the "enemy we all have to bond against" role. But then I considered the whole movie to be kind of a superficial treatment, not that I thought it could be done otherwise (kind of hard to fit in the explorations and examinations of the comic book form in a movie...at least not in a way that would interest anyone). That and I'm NOT a Zack Snyder fan in the least.

The conclusion is certainly one of the things that keeps Watchmen from being Moore's best work. It just doesn't work. Which doesn't change the fact that the book is probably the single best treatise on superhero funnybooks ever. And that issue number five is utterly brilliant.