Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Return of the Jedi?

Sunday night there were a great many things on the red carpet at the Golden Globes, but the one that caught my eye right off the bat was Ewan McGregor looking very Obiwan Kenobi, with his facial hair and haircut. Now there is a nasty rumor going around that by the time the 7th movie takes place Obiwan is dead, but Disney Wars have stated that they want 3 movies a year building up the mythology and I think a movie cementing Obiwan's time between Ep 3 and Ep 4 would be AWESOME. Heck I would pay money to see any movie containing Obiwan being awesome. Maybe he finds Mace Windu (let's just face that there was no death scene. He only lost an arm and was thrown out of a skyscraper. His fall was nothing more than the scene from Ep 2 where Anakin jumped out of the speeder to catch the assassin) and they do shadow jedi work restoring whatever peace they can without getting caught.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Obiwan (751x1024).jpg  

There's been a few EU projects dealing with Obi-Wan on Tatooine between the trilogies (Such as the upcoming Kenobi novel). However if Ewan appears at all in the new films, it would be as a spirit-perhaps not made up to look like Alec, but perhaps in a different Jedi spirit form.

If Obi-wan were to appear in the ST, then it would be McGregor with makeup designed to make him look like Guinness and only appearing as a ghost. If there was a film between the trilogies, then his appearance would be different to reflect the time in between. And yes, Mace is dead. Dead as a doornail. All the film Jedi are dead.

Also, the Mace/Anakin/Palpatine fight is suppossed to be sort of like the ROTJ fight in it's symbolism (Also the battle in the beginning with Palpatine in the chair). The way Anakin turns into Vader is similar to how he turns back into Anakin in a way-except first he makes the wrong choice, saving Palpatine. Both scenes also involve force lightning. Having Mace survive kind of takes out some of that impact. ROTS isn't a perfect film but I understood where Lucas was going with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Also, the Mace/Anakin/Palpatine fight is suppossed to be sort of like the ROTJ fight in it's symbolism (Also the battle in the beginning with Palpatine in the chair). The way Anakin turns into Vader is similar to how he turns back into Anakin in a way-except first he makes the wrong choice, saving Palpatine. Both scenes also involve force lightning. Having Mace survive kind of takes out some of that impact. ROTS isn't a perfect film but I understood where Lucas was going with that.
    I never even noticed that, it is very interesting now that I thik about it. The thing is though...EVERYBODY wants back in it looks like, including Samuel Jackson who has expressed interest in coming back. Not to mention in Dark Empire Palpatine comes back through the cloning technology.

Hey, if they want to make an Obi-Wan/Anakin buddy movie, bring back Hayden Christensen in the role, give him a proper director and screenwriter this time around and make it so he wasn't an obviously evil git from birth but an actual hero at some point in his life, that'd be awesome.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

There still a ways from filming, they don't even have a director yet. I can't imagine he'd grow the beard this soon even if he has been approached to do a ghost cameo.
    More likely, he just likes it.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

I think as Ewan grows older, simply by being, he will have people wondering if he is going to play ObiWan in another Star Wars movie

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    If Obi-wan were to appear in the ST, then it would be McGregor with makeup designed to make him look like Guinness and only appearing as a ghost. If there was a film between the trilogies, then his appearance would be different to reflect the time in between. And yes, Mace is dead. Dead as a doornail. All the film Jedi are dead.
    if lucas was still in control, heŽd go with mcgregor force ghost and while he is already on it, edit him also into empire and return

I would like to see Obiwan Kenobi movies but I wouldn't want McGregor near this. He's just not on the level of McGuiness as far as charisma, screen presence and acting abilities. He was so bland in the prequels.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I would like to see Obiwan Kenobi movies but I wouldn't want McGregor near this. He's just not on the level of McGuiness as far as charisma, screen presence and acting abilities. He was so bland in the prequels.
    I thought Ewan was great, especially in ROTS. I think the problem was more that Lucas never really allowed Obi-Wan to cut loose and be the reckless Jedi that he later imagined he once was in conversations with Luke.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by S_Rhoades View Post
    I never even noticed that, it is very interesting now that I thik about it. The thing is though...EVERYBODY wants back in it looks like, including Samuel Jackson who has expressed interest in coming back. Not to mention in Dark Empire Palpatine comes back through the cloning technology.
    Jackson is a bit of a geek, so he's probably aware of spinoffs that take place between films. And I would imagine he's read "Shatterpoint" which is pure Sam Jackson. So I wouldn't put it past him to do a spin off within a reasonable time period. Much less appear as a ghost. Palpatine, well, I don't think an adaptation of "Dark Empire" will happen. Though, I've felt for years that if it did happen, that Ian McDiarmaid would do the aged version of Sidious and Ray Park could be the younger version of him. Though with his voice dubbed over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    More likely, he just likes it
    Probably. Or he's doing a movie with the beard. Kinda like when Sam Jackson is either bald or has hair in his films.

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockbones
    if lucas was still in control, heŽd go with mcgregor force ghost and while he is already on it, edit him also into empire and return
    He would have done that back in 2003, like he did with Palpatine when he filmed the footage for TESB. As well as he did with Hayden for ROTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Everybody except McDiarmid was bland in the prequels. Samuel Frelling L. Jackson was bland in the prequels.

It's a director problem, not an actor problem.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

I don't think it's a director problem. When you get down to it, Jedi aren't supposed to be overtly emotional. You can see that in Hamill's performance in ROTJ, which is different from the previous two films that he did. The other characters, I take as being more civilized and thus being of higher breed, save for those like Shmi and Jar Jar.

I think that is one of the big probs between the Old Trilogy and the New. Too much influence from the EU and Fan Fic crap from the people that wrote it and then became envoloved with the new series...aka Stupid Teenage Emo crap.