View Poll Results: Should Wonder Woman keep her World War 2 History

Voters
13. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

5 38.46%
  • No

3 23.08%
  • A timetravel story in where she fights in WW2

1 7.69%
  • Hippoltya should be the Golden Age Wonder Woman

4 30.77%
  • Depends on the writer

0 0%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    You know, if they let Wonder Woman keep her golden age continuity, there's really no reason they wouldn't let Superman have the same.
    The difference is that Wonder Woman was originally immortal and gave it up to go to man's world.

So for her to have, in the 50s when the JSA disbanded due to McCarthyism, gone home and returned that would make perfect sense.

They could easily have just made her immortal in the reboot. Despite not being the first superhero over in Marvel, no one complains that Thor is immortal and has been around for thousands of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    The difference is that Wonder Woman was originally immortal and gave it up to go to man's world.

So for her to have, in the 50s when the JSA disbanded due to McCarthyism, gone home and returned that would make perfect sense.
    But then she'd have lost her immortality in the 1940's and could be played by Diana Rigg in the upcoming JLA movie...

Hmm... On second thought, I like it.

They could easily have just made her immortal in the reboot. Despite not being the first superhero over in Marvel, no one complains that Thor is immortal and has been around for thousands of years.
    Thor fans complain all the time he so very rarely seems to have milennia worth of experience and takes orders from some rookie soldier who got his might from a test tube. And IMO they have a really big point.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

I always thought in a sense Diana shouldn't loose her immorality in a sense. That she could just age slowly than most people or kept her immorality while in the man's world.

Quote Originally Posted by UsagiTsukino View Post
    I always thought in a sense Diana shouldn't loose her immorality in a sense. That she could just age slowly than most people or kept her immorality while in the man's world.
    Best typo ever on this board
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

One of the many potential problems with an immortal Diana is how you handle her level of experience, not only with her peers but also her foes.

On the one hand, you write her as being far more skilled than her fellow Leaguers, and people start up the Superman style complaints. Why is Diana with the League? With her skill and experience she doesnt even need them! And we all know how well that debate goes with Clark. With Diana it would be just as bad, if not worse.

And the same thing would go for most of her villains. People would bitch. Why did Cheetah beat her ass so bad? Having been around for over seventy years Diana should know better!

The same thing will apply with non-combat stuff too. Diana forgot to mail her rent check! She should know better! Diana listens to metal! She should know better! Diana wore white after Labor Day! She should know better!

Somehow, people will equate experience with perfection and get even more angry when Diana makes any kind of mistake. Forget about suspense or drama, they will want to see Diana walk on air, untouchable and perfect. And should anything happen at all to break that image, nerd rage will explode all over the internet. Worse than usual, I mean.

Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch. That is what an immortal Diana would get. More complaints from the fanbase that complains more than most already.

And dont get me wrong. I love the idea of an immortal Diana. I think its my preferred vision of her. But within the confines of this continuity, its not going to float. It just wont. Which is a shame. But at least her title is a critical darling for once. Not that its stopped people from complaining either. XD

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    One of the many potential problems with an immortal Diana is how you handle her level of experience, not only with her peers but also her foes.

On the one hand, you write her as being far more skilled than her fellow Leaguers, and people start up the Superman style complaints. Why is Diana with the League? With her skill and experience she doesnt even need them! And we all know how well that debate goes with Clark. With Diana it would be just as bad, if not worse.

And the same thing would go for most of her villains. People would bitch. Why did Cheetah beat her ass so bad? Having been around for over seventy years Diana should know better!

The same thing will apply with non-combat stuff too. Diana forgot to mail her rent check! She should know better! Diana listens to metal! She should know better! Diana wore white after Labor Day! She should know better!

Somehow, people will equate experience with perfection and get even more angry when Diana makes any kind of mistake. Forget about suspense or drama, they will want to see Diana walk on air, untouchable and perfect. And should anything happen at all to break that image, nerd rage will explode all over the internet. Worse than usual, I mean.

Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch. That is what an immortal Diana would get. More complaints from the fanbase that complains more than most already.

And dont get me wrong. I love the idea of an immortal Diana. I think its my preferred vision of her. But within the confines of this continuity, its not going to float. It just wont. Which is a shame. But at least her title is a critical darling for once. Not that its stopped people from complaining either. XD
    One way is state Diana ages slowly when leaving paradise Island and when the war was over Diana went back home. My main problem is that some of the villain in the golden age are way more better than their Post Crisis version or some villains don't exist after the golden age . I see the problem with the villains unless they all stay in transformation island and mostly will be immortal. How would you want them to write immortal Diana.

So in an alt universe Diana could be the first Superman. What ever happened to Miss America? I always thought she should be an amazon

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    You know, if they let Wonder Woman keep her golden age continuity, there's really no reason they wouldn't let Superman have the same.
    Except Lois, Perry, Jimmy, et al would be dead...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Well, you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

Wouldnt the point of an immortal take on the character (both Diana and Clark) be to explore how they deal with outliving everyone else?

As for how I would deal with the villains, (that wasnt hypothetical right? You were actually asking?) it would be on a case by case basis. Some of them could, and would, be immortal; Ares, Circe, they're not going anywhere.

As for others, like Giganta, Cheetah, Psycho, and so on.....an immortal Diana offers a chance to explore the full character arc of their lives. Does Giganta eventually become an ally of Diana's? Does she leave her life of crime and redeem herself, eventually settle down and marry someone (Ryan Choi!) and die of old age? Maybe. And an immortal Diana would offer the chance to explore that. Maybe Cheetah is a role that gets passed down from generation to generation, much akin to how its worked in the comics, and *a* version of Cheetah is always around to bug Diana. Rather metatextual and fitting. New foes would be brought in as old ones leave.

Some foes would always be around, some would die young and in battle, others might change their ways and thus add some weight to Diana's mission statement, others might pass down their hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    Wouldnt the point of an immortal take on the character (both Diana and Clark) be to explore how they deal with outliving everyone else?

As for how I would deal with the villains, (that wasnt hypothetical right? You were actually asking?) it would be on a case by case basis. Some of them could, and would, be immortal; Ares, Circe, they're not going anywhere.

As for others, like Giganta, Cheetah, Psycho, and so on.....an immortal Diana offers a chance to explore the full character arc of their lives. Does Giganta eventually become an ally of Diana's? Does she leave her life of crime and redeem herself, eventually settle down and marry someone (Ryan Choi!) and die of old age? Maybe. And an immortal Diana would offer the chance to explore that. Maybe Cheetah is a role that gets passed down from generation to generation, much akin to how its worked in the comics, and *a* version of Cheetah is always around to bug Diana. Rather metatextual and fitting. New foes would be brought in as old ones leave.

Some foes would always be around, some would die young and in battle, others might change their ways and thus add some weight to Diana's mission statement, others might pass down their hatred.
    All of that would be very interesting, but even if she were immortal, it couldn't happen. Those things require actual in-story time to pass, and that just does not happen in corporate superhero books.

Sad but true. And even then, a person would have to be a life long reader to really be able to cash in on such a process. I mean, even if these characters were allowed to age, it would still not happen in "real time" as a six issue arc can actually take place over the course of hours and not months.

So even after reading for twenty years, you might only get to see a small transition.

Best way to work such a concept would be retro-actively with "Times Past" stories and such.

You can mostly have Diana go home after the war and have her go back in a few years before the justice island. Maybe even have her and other amazons start their our team in the man's world

Quote Originally Posted by UsagiTsukino View Post
    You can mostly have Diana go home after the war and have her go back in a few years before the justice island. Maybe even have her and other amazons start their our team in the man's world
    A hero out of time has worked for Marvels Thor and Cap America, I think it can work fine for Diana too
    Last edited by Whirlwind Dinamo; 01-30-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Thor is a hero out of time?

And isn't this aspect of the character blatantly ignored 99% of the timel for Cap? Who hasn't been out of time at all for about ten years of his timeline now, having gotten used to the present.