View Poll Results: Should Wonder Woman keep her World War 2 History

Voters
13. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

5 38.46%
  • No

3 23.08%
  • A timetravel story in where she fights in WW2

1 7.69%
  • Hippoltya should be the Golden Age Wonder Woman

4 30.77%
  • Depends on the writer

0 0%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I don't see why: Superman and Batman have let it go.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

The rich history of the character makes it so much more interesting. Keeping the WW2 history intact could be a very simple thing: Diana and the rest of the Amazons are immortal, she left the island to fight Nazis during WW2, returned to the island when the war was over until Steve Trevor crashed and she returned to "mans" world once again, this time as an ambassador of peace. I even don't have an issue with the WW2 version being Hippy wearing the uniform. Problem is nu-DC doesn't want the history of the characters. They want to start "fresh" and only keep certain things as "cannon" when it somehow adds to the current storyline or helps explain a certain aspect of the character. I think it's crap. Explain to me again how the history takes away from the character???

In my opinion, the long, 70 year history of the character is something to be proud of and capitalize from, not something to shy away from. Imagine a Diana that does have history fighting in WW2. It would give her experience beyond her contemporaries and solidly affix her place in the top three in the DC universe as far as combined power and experience. Give the character the respect she deserves.

DC doesn't want a Wonder Woman whom in the continuity is over 80 years old. The same motivation for not making Superman have actually debuted in 1938 like some fans wanted for the reboot. That's what it boils down to. They want their key characters youthful. You can disagree with that motivation all you want of course, but that's not the same thing as claiming they don't want any history. History is what you make by writing stories. Doesn't matter if the character is immortal or 25, they will make history by the stories written about them.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-17-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    DC doesn't want a Wonder Woman whom in the continuity is over 80 years old. The same motivation for not making Superman have actually debuted in 1938 like some fans wanted for the reboot. That's what it boils down to. They want their key characters youthful. You can disagree with that motivation all you want of course, but that's not the same thing as claiming they don't want any history. History is what you make by writing stories. Doesn't matter if the character is immortal or 25, they will make history by the stories written about them.
    The continuity argument doesn't really fly with me. Why does it work for certain Marvel characters such as Captain America and Namor? These characters were introduced in the 1930s and are still around seemingly unaffected by the decades of continuity.

Captain America is different, a man in a different time is a key to who he is. His origin has demands he be, techincally, old but in a youthful body due to his circumstances. Due to that origin tale WWII will always work as they can just lengthen the amount of time he was frozen. On the other hand even Marvel will backtrack on other characters' ages. The war in which Tony Stark was injured gets shuffled around as time goes forward.

Besides I'm not even saying it can't work. I'm saying that's not the way DC wants to go about it. I understand some disagreeing with that notion, but I challenge the idea that it means DC is against characters with history. A younger character can have history, depth and nuance. Just being old isn't the only way to have depth.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-17-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    The continuity argument doesn't really fly with me. Why does it work for certain Marvel characters such as Captain America and Namor? These characters were introduced in the 1930s and are still around seemingly unaffected by the decades of continuity.
    Well, the first thing Stan Lee did when he brought Cap back in the Avengers is dump a ton of continuity (which was later brought back and attached to a different character).

Captain America is more or less the same age he always was. The sliding time scalesays he came from ice around the year 2000 or somehting, and missed the cold war entitely. His continuity is made of Swiss cheese.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Please correct me if I'm worry but wasn't Diana only one of the three really actually involved in the world War2 ? Couldn't This Diana be in alt universe and be the first superhero. I mean you can still make WW2 interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by UsagiTsukino View Post
    Please correct me if I'm worry but wasn't Diana only one of the three really actually involved in the world War2 ? Couldn't This Diana be in alt universe and be the first superhero. I mean you can still make WW2 interesting.
    She's 1 of the 3 who have been published since WW2, but tonnes of heroes were involved in WW2.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Though it wouldn't work in the new DC, I would still prefer this to the 'new hero in a new world' thing. Seems like half the JL was around before she ever set foot off of Themyscira :/
    I like the idea of reincarnation, maybe that would explain centuries of legendary experience

Never understood why Hippolyta or another dark-haired Amazon couldn't easily replace the Golden Age Wondy. So long as it's established, in continuity, that, while this dark-haired Amazon wore the Wonder-uniform, she was never actually called 'Wonder Woman'.

DC kept Superboy around, while calling him 'Kon-El' or whatever. The same editorial mandate could be made for a Wonder Woman in the 1940s, while calling her something else.

Hell...you could even call her Diana. You could establish that the Roman goddess, Diana, lived among the Amazons for a while, as a mortal, winning the Tournament and travelling to Man's World. There's a bunch of ways DC could restore the Golden Age Wonder Woman...

If anybody gave a damn.
    Last edited by MelDyer; 01-18-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: clarity
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

Why is it that just because they're not using your ideas, they don't give a damn? And for the record they're not bad ideas. I think they're pretty creative, actually. But it doesn't mean no one cares about Wonder Woman.

I don't care for it personally. I prefer the young new to the world Diana.

YJ Diana seems to have left the island twice according to the little Greg Weisman would spoil. Seems to indicate she came out during the War, probably spend some time(not sure how long) and went back. Then she came out a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by thepenguin View Post
    I don't care for it personally. I prefer the young new to the world Diana...
    Even if a dark-haired Amazon, calling herself 'The Amazon' AND wearing the Wonder-uniform, fought Nazis in World War II, ..the young, new-to-world Diana would still be the first, official 'Wonder Woman'. So, what's the difference?

Now, you see things my way, no?
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Though it wouldn't work in the new DC, I would still prefer this to the 'new hero in a new world' thing. Seems like half the JL was around before she ever set foot off of Themyscira :/

DC might be taking offense that Wonder Woman's true history has her around being 'heroic' long before the other big 2... she's there way before Superman and Batman started doing their heroic stuff
    I don't think DC should be offended by this

Marvel have heroes like Valkyrie, Hercules, Thor who all existed thousands of years before their iconic Spider-Man, Captain America and Ironman

You know, if they let Wonder Woman keep her golden age continuity, there's really no reason they wouldn't let Superman have the same.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."