View Poll Results: Should Wonder Woman keep her World War 2 History

Voters
13. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

5 38.46%
  • No

3 23.08%
  • A timetravel story in where she fights in WW2

1 7.69%
  • Hippoltya should be the Golden Age Wonder Woman

4 30.77%
  • Depends on the writer

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Should Wonder Woman keep her World War 2 History

Why can't wonder woman keep her ww2 origin like in YJ. I mean why can't she get keep her immortal to serve her mission to Aphrodite? I mean would people have problem with that? I love her WW2 history, would you guys like to see wonder woman keep her ww2 history and still be young to found the Justice League?

Not familiar with YJ WW. I think they ditched the WW2 history to make her contemporaries of Batman and Superman, otherwise she has FAR more experience than either of them; not sure that works in the milieu of DCU shared universe where they are all peers. WW would then be Bats and Supes inspiration and of a different generation rather than a peer. If she was active in WW2 and then somehow just transported to modern day, or frozen and doesn't have all the years of experience or what-have-you she would come off as a Captain America rip off (if they play up the "woman out of time" angle, and how could they not?). So there's no good solution to keeping her WW2 history in the DCU, imo.

I wouldn't keep her first appearance happening in World War 2...but I'd love a time-travel story arc where Diana goes back to the 1940's and foils an evil Nazi plan. This could work in the book, the upcoming tv show, or even a movie (better suited to a solo WW film sequel)

No. The World War II era is just becoming too far back in time to accommodate places in the origin of our current heroes. It doesn't mean that era no longer gets credit for basically creating the superhero genre, but you can't stop time from moving, and if you want to keep core characters like Wonder Woman young to accommodate new eras of young readers, something's gotta give eventually.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-15-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    Not familiar with YJ WW. I think they ditched the WW2 history to make her contemporaries of Batman and Superman, otherwise she has FAR more experience than either of them; not sure that works in the milieu of DCU shared universe where they are all peers. WW would then be Bats and Supes inspiration and of a different generation rather than a peer.
    This sounds like Earth-2, where Wonder Woman was the first hero, and others are called "Wonders," instead of "Supers."

From what I understand, when Marston started writing Wonder Woman, part of the point of her leaving Paradise Island was to parallel the USA entering the war. Diana left the Amazon's isolation to bring her power and righteousness to a conflict at the same time the USA was. Problem is, this type of narrative doesn't make sense anymore. First off, it is extremely Eurocentric (the Japanese certainly would not agree that the USA had been practicing isolationism), second it's a lot harder to cast "good guys" vs "bad guys" in the wars following WW2 so if Diana came to fight with the good guys, why would she stay for fights in which their isn't a side worth championing?

I think the "why leave Paradise Island" aspect of the character is probably one of the most difficult to reconcile aspects of writing WW. Falling in love with Steve Trevor was part of why she left in the beginning, but having that be the only reason she leaves undermines the purpose of empowering girls. The whole ambassador thing helped fix that, but was very vague. The current version where she left because she wanted to get away is dependent on the Island not being as perfect as originally intended.

Well, I myself like the idea of Diana being immortal, always have, and her WWII history has somehow always felt richer than those of her peers.

However, her being active for that long doesnt really fit into the current DCU, as a shared universe. Not only does it go against the new five year timeline they are trying to make work, but as was said, it puts her level of experience well beyond that of anyone else, and would largely just get in the way as far as continuity goes. Plus, at this time, there are very few connections from the War that could be upheld with any degree of integrity. All of her old foes would be dead, and even their children would be quite old by now. Using legacy villains and grandchildren or dues ex plotholes for villains to still be alive.....just seems lazy and weak. And making readers buy into a War affiliated concept, like an organization of Nazis who have maintained over the decades....thats hard to swallow too, though not completely impossible. So there wouldnt be a ton of reasons to keep that history to begin with beyond the "cool-ness factor" Sure, there are ways to make it work and make it fun, but largely it would just be excess baggage, largely ignored and only trotted out once in a while for specific purposes. Seems pointless to me.

Now, for a smaller story that doesnt tie into the rest of the company line? Absolutely. I would love such a take on her for movies, television, video games, Earth-1, or any other Elseworlds style tale. There, those few creative ways to exploit the War connections could really shine, but for a monthly series that will be published in perpetuity, the gains dont add up.

It simply seems to boil down to DC insisting that Superman was the first Superhero.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by pad View Post
    This sounds like Earth-2, where Wonder Woman was the first hero, and others are called "Wonders," instead of "Supers."
    That's the logical outcome of a WW2 Wonder Woman, where Superman has his arrival decades later. It'll never happen in the main DCU, for a variety of reasons, but I think it plays well in Earth 2.

Speaking of World War 2, I'm reading Rucka's run right now. Excellent storytelling! But the modern-day Diana is fighting Minerva's Cheetah...and they reference how Diana also fought the Priscilla Rich Cheetah in the 1940's. I'm confused. I thought Rucka stayed with the continuity established by Perez, where Wonder Woman first appears in modern times.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafanboy View Post
    Speaking of World War 2, I'm reading Rucka's run right now. Excellent storytelling! But the modern-day Diana is fighting Minerva's Cheetah...and they reference how Diana also fought the Priscilla Rich Cheetah in the 1940's. I'm confused. I thought Rucka stayed with the continuity established by Perez, where Wonder Woman first appears in modern times.
    Does it specify that she fought Diana? Rich did fight Wonder Woman during WWII in that continuity, only it was Hippolyta who wore the costum back then.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Does it specify that she fought Diana? Rich did fight Wonder Woman during WWII in that continuity, only it was Hippolyta who wore the costum back then.
    Ok, that explains it. It just said Wonder Woman (not Diana) fought Priscilla Rich. Thanks!

Yeah, I would want it to be in an alt universe. How do you think if they do keep her ww2 history to make it appealing to comic book fans. Would it be wrong for me to say that I think it would also be nice if she also helped in civil right movement or even the Lgbt rights or would that be to mess to do?

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Though it wouldn't work in the new DC, I would still prefer this to the 'new hero in a new world' thing. Seems like half the JL was around before she ever set foot off of Themyscira :/

What if the reason why she leaves changes? Like after seeing on the magic sphere that chaos happening in the mans world especially in the Usa. Queen Hippoltya orders a contest to help spread the message peace as well as empowering women. Wonder Woman can't fly yet so the amazons after seeing the planes builds the invisible planes with amazons metal and magic.