Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Default Why do people think Wonder Woman is gay?

I was on google and I typed,"Is Wonder Woman." Google spelled for me "Is Wonder Woman gay."Why would people think that?And what would people think she's an Avenger?lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    I was on google and I typed,"Is Wonder Woman." Google spelled for me "Is Wonder Woman gay."Why would people think that?And what would people think she's an Avenger?lol
    You know why.

Because she comes from an Island of only women whom I suspect are not celibate. It's a platform that invites that sort of speculation true or not.

I haven't heard the Avenger angle.

Because she lives(d) on an island of women with not a penis in sight? Not a hard leap for some people to make. But then again, I don't think a lot of people really tend to think of her as gay, either, but probably more bi-leaning.

lots of context is ambiguously of Diana sexuality especially with golden age panels like this

[IMG][/IMG]

or post crisis panels like this

Last edited by UsagiTsukino; 01-15-2013 at 05:19 PM.

In addition to what Rob and Sailor Moon have pointed out, I'll add that I think we're a culture that likes the topic of "gay" right now. Obviously, homosexuality is still controversial, so you'll get differing views, but that also feeds the flame. Stories of people 'coming out,' and speculating about others sexual orientation, seem popular in the pop culture news. There have been some good strides of late with GLBT characters (eg, Batwoman), but just about any moment for a GLBT character makes buzz. And WW coming out as gay would be huge.

Why Avengers? Because the movie was HUGE and many casual fans don't know who's Marvel and who's DC, but most know the name WW and perhaps wonder why she wasn't in the movie. Similarly, I've seen/heard folks ask why Batman wasn't in Avengers.
    Last edited by americanwonder; 01-15-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Gone

She can´t POSSIBLY be heterosexual since she comes from an island where same-sex relations is the rule.

As the internet taught us, if you come from a place where there is a predominant sexual orientation, OF COURSE you will have that sexual orientation as well.
    That is why in our society, where heterosexuality is the norm, there are no gays, lesbians or other.

Plus, as the same source states, every heterosexual woman is always just one hiccup away from turning lesbian.

Generally I feel when people think of Amazons, lesbianism isn't to far behind. So the connection or presumption of WW being a lesbian makes total sense to me.

Beside the coming from a sing sex society, the vogue for speculating on homosexuality and whatever subtext you can find, I think that the lack of lasting heterosexual parings. At least since they took her out of WW2 and pining over Steve Trevor. After all, not being defined by a relationship with a man must mean that she prefers the ladies.

The curious one.

Think or hope?

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    In addition to what Rob and Sailor Moon have pointed out, I'll add that I think we're a culture that likes the topic of "gay" right now. Obviously, homosexuality is still controversial, so you'll get differing views, but that also feeds the flame. Stories of people 'coming out,' and speculating about others sexual orientation, seem popular in the pop culture news. There have been some good strides of late with GLBT characters (eg, Batwoman), but just about any moment for a GLBT character makes buzz. And WW coming out as gay would be huge.

Why Avengers? Because the movie was HUGE and many casual fans don't know who's Marvel and who's DC, but most know the name WW and perhaps wonder why she wasn't in the movie. Similarly, I've seen/heard folks ask why Batman wasn't in Avengers.
    This is true. My best friend whom is NOT a comics person (but knows of the Superheroes) was confused as to why Green Lantern wasn't in it. He says he's positive they will introduce him in Avengers2. I tried to explain it to him but he just doesn't get it.

Because a lot want her to be gay. Its really as simple as that. That's not to say certain writings over the years haven't coyly suggested the possibility, they certainly have, but believing it to be actual fact is just a result of some portion of the fanbase wanting it to be true so so bad they act like its a foregone conclusion.

BANNED

It's sort of at the roots of the character with Marston adding a distinctively sexual angle to both Diana and her Amazon sisters.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

I think the only reasonable course of action as this juncture is for people to go to google images, type in the search "wonder woman lesbian" and to post whatever pics they find here for me.

For everyone. I meant everyone.

Here, I will get us started, because this still makes me laugh...

Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Excellent idea Brett, seems like the best possible use for another one of these threads.

Last edited by RandomFalls; 01-16-2013 at 02:20 AM.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFalls View Post
    Excellent idea Brett, seems like the best possible use for another one of these threads.

I actually have nothing to say, I just cant see that enough.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”