Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    Well, since I'm not dressed in a snazzy suit and fedora, I don't think it's the 1950's anymore, and if female super-characters get into a physical confrontation, they can certainly be expected to get as good as they give. In fairness, it's also not quite in Spidey's nature to go right in and start punching everyone in sight, particularly if the situation can be diffused by simply webbing an offending party up. I don't really see this as a big issue.
    And nobody mentioning the beating he gave SpiderWomen.
    Also in that case he had good reason, he had to save Earth.

It always makes me uneasy when Spider-Man hits supervillians who are women. I don't know. Maybe its the way the artists draw the women. I know what my feminist professor would say. She'd simultaneously stick up for Peter and women. She'd say, "Well what about the women hitting him?"

The MJ scene made me sick and should have never reached print.
    Kevin Nichols is jealous of my friendship with Oldschool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    Well women wanted equality.

Im pretty sure MJ slapped Peter more than once in a comic somewhere.
    I seriously doubt MJ slapped Peter anywhere in a comic.After all how do you slap a man who can physically
    sense danger to himself.

Pretty sure comics should represent heroes as role models in most cases. Unless its an adult rated issue with adult themes handled with care.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Edit: Oops, I misread something.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 01-16-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan2695 View Post
    I seriously doubt MJ slapped Peter anywhere in a comic.After all how do you slap a man who can physically
    sense danger to himself.
    Easily. If a non-powered woman is angry at Peter Parker and tries to slap him do you really think he is going to vault out of the way or something?
    Life looks better in black and white.

I'm not bothered by the occasional visuals.

The Clone Saga thing wasn't as horrible in context. Although it wasn't that good either.

With Storm in Astonishing X-Men, this was meant to surprise readers. And the explanation was that he needed to get her attention. It could have been done with any character. There is something vaguely sexist to suggest that it should only be limited to male characters
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    Pretty sure comics should represent heroes as role models in most cases. Unless its an adult rated issue with adult themes handled with care.
    I don't know about role models. Spidey does lots of things that people shouldn't necessarily look up to. He's often selfish, he's been known to go back on his word, and he spent years unethically selling pics to JJJ. I prefer to think of the heros (or any protagonist really) as relatable. Even if the hero is someone that I have nothing in common with (Daredevil, Wolverine, Punisher, etc.) there is something about the character that makes me identify with him. Incidentally, I don't think that Dardevil, Wolberine, or the Punisher are particularly great role models either.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

They're all fictional. No women are hurt in the making of a comic. People have this strange habit of projecting real world ethics and values onto pencil and ink drawings.
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm not bothered by the occasional visuals.

The Clone Saga thing wasn't as horrible in context. Although it wasn't that good either.

With Storm in Astonishing X-Men, this was meant to surprise readers. And the explanation was that he needed to get her attention. It could have been done with any character. There is something vaguely sexist to suggest that it should only be limited to male characters
    So you think it's sexist to condemn Spider-Man for hitting Storm in the face and that he should hit men and women in the face equally? Man that's crazy. The scene was distasteful and offensive. Even in context. It was plain wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
    They're all fictional. No women are hurt in the making of a comic. People have this strange habit of projecting real world ethics and values onto pencil and ink drawings.
    Not people... just me.
    Beside was all know that Cardiac would have found another way.
    Check out the O.A.W. Report at www.majinoaw.blogspot.com. You want to see why I say the things I do or understand what's in my head... this is the place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    Well women wanted equality.

Im pretty sure MJ slapped Peter more than once in a comic somewhere.
    Because clearly, if someone wants to be treated equitably and with respect, they deserve to be abused.

I don't think discussing the ethical conundrums of fictional characters a bad thing personally, and I don't think everyone is saying every character must behave ethically, it's just an interesting topic as far as comic book forum topics go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    I don't know about role models. Spidey does lots of things that people shouldn't necessarily look up to. He's often selfish, he's been known to go back on his word, and he spent years unethically selling pics to JJJ. I prefer to think of the heros (or any protagonist really) as relatable. Even if the hero is someone that I have nothing in common with (Daredevil, Wolverine, Punisher, etc.) there is something about the character that makes me identify with him. Incidentally, I don't think that Dardevil, Wolberine, or the Punisher are particularly great role models either.
    What's wrong with Wolverine

But even if it's handled in a way that most would agree as "correct", you don't think rape belongs anywhere in comics. For the most part, neither do I.

Hint: No women are raped in the making of a comic.
    Kevin Nichols is jealous of my friendship with Oldschool.

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RyanParkerMan View Post
    But even if it's handled in a way that most would agree as "correct", you don't think rape belongs anywhere in comics. For the most part, neither do I.

Hint: No women are raped in the making of a comic.
    I don't find rape entertaining. It's not about ethics or morals. It's not fun to read about. It's not fun to watch in movies or on TV.

Spider-Man punching Storm, entertaining or not? I don't know. I can't say I ever noticed until somebody brought it up on the internet. Because for some reason, in a genre based around everyone punching each other to solve their problems, punching the girl is somehow too far.
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

SW