View Poll Results: Favorite Anniversary Issue

Voters
45. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • ASM #100

2 4.44%
  • ASM #200

4 8.89%
  • ASM #300

12 26.67%
  • ASM #400

6 13.33%
  • ASM #500

8 17.78%
  • ASM #600

5 11.11%
  • ASM #700

3 6.67%
  • PP:SSM #100

0 0%
  • PP:SSM #200

4 8.89%
  • Web #100

1 2.22%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Not really--you needed to have read the buildup from Marv Wolfman's previous issues to really appreciate the payoff of #200.
    I don't know as it had anymore build up than Venom's appearance in 300 did.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

There were hints about ASM #200 in the lead up issues, but I would not call them necessary in a story sense. The burglar story really hits the reader right out of the blue. Wolfman was really good at telling stories, but he didn't really tell a saga during his ASM run. For that, I would point to New Teen Titans.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Not really--you needed to have read the buildup from Marv Wolfman's previous issues to really appreciate the payoff of #200.
    Not sure if you "needed" it but the buildup from roughly #195 really helped the emotional impact of #200. Reading Peter's reactions to Aunt May's "death" and the scenes with the nurshing home and "Dr. Rinehart" really helped build Marv Wolfman's tale beautifully.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Actually, I bought it from a back issue bin when I was a kid and understood it well enough. Everything you need to know is there via recap.

I think it's a brilliant and criminally underrated story, where everything comes full circle for Peter. It's also one of those gems that could easily function as the 'last' Spider-Man story. He deals with the burglar, meets up with the security guard from AF15, and comes to appreciate his powers as more of a blessing than a curse.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    I don't know as it had anymore build up than Venom's appearance in 300 did.
    Less of a buildup, if memory serves. It's a Mysterio story up to that point, and then BAM! Burglar.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Less of a buildup, if memory serves. It's a Mysterio story up to that point, and then BAM! Burglar.
    For some sharp-eyed readers, though, they may have picked up on the Burglar reappearance much earlier. As early as ASM #170 (IIRC), the Burglar was shown "casing out" May Parker's house. He was not identified but was clearly illustrated and shown to have an interest in the house through those wacky thought balloons so prevalent in 1970's comics.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I loved that story and, really, all of JMD's mega-arc that led up to it. Honestly, though, I was never a huge fan of Sal Buscema's art. I know I am in the minority here but there was just something about it that I could never warm up to; it certainly is not bad but I never thought he was the story-teller that JR SR was with his art nor did he master cityscapes and draw action scenes like Ross Andru. I think had JMD been teamed with another artist for those Spec issues, I would have liked them even more.
    Totally agree on the SB artwork. And I'm a SB fan, especially from his Hulk run. His Spec Spidey stuff always looked to "stiff" to me, for lack of a better word. It was adequate & serviceable but nothing stood out, especially in the late 80s/early 90s compared to the more flashy styles that were emerging. When Siekenciviekciekeich took over the inking things degenerated to the point where most issues were unreadable.

This poll is rigged! If this special normal-sized issue was listed as a choice it would win easily.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goblinshobbyams250.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	107315
    IT'S GREAT! STEAL IT!
    BOOSTER GOLD (Michael Jon Carter), HAWKEYE (Clint Barton), IRON FIST (Daniel Rand), MOON KNIGHT (Marc Spector aka Steven Grant aka Jake Lockley), NIGHTCRAWLER (Kurt Wagner),
    NOVA (Richard Rider)

Well said. It seems that anniversary issues that simply focus on a well-told (and self-contained) story may be products of a bygone era.
    Amazing Spider-Man #600 wasn't that long ago.

In most cases, I do think it's better for anniversary issues to be self-contained, or the beginning of a new storyline. It's just better for new readers that way.

I can appreciate exceptions, as the conclusion is sometimes more deserving of publicity than the beginning (See ASM 200, 500 and 700).

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    There was the whole mystery of Aunt May's death. The burglar had also made cameo appearances back in Len Wein's run.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

Not sure if you "needed" it but the buildup from roughly #195 really helped the emotional impact of #200. Reading Peter's reactions to Aunt May's "death" and the scenes with the nurshing home and "Dr. Rinehart" really helped build Marv Wolfman's tale beautifully.
    Huh. I always thought of #195 - #200 as one long arc. Been awhile since I've read it though. Should get those issues out again.

Huh. I always thought of #195 - #200 as one long arc. Been awhile since I've read it though. Should get those issues out again.
    They released them in a premium hardcover pretty recently.
    Last edited by Rob Thompson; 01-17-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Honestly? I do too but I was speaking more from the vantage point of whether or not one "needed" to read #195-199 to get the impact of #200; and I suppose it is not essential though, as I said earlier, I do believe it greatly enhances the story of #200 if you do.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Anniversaries are annual. Increments of 100 are just increments of 100.

I'm going to go with #600, it had a strong self-contained feature length lead story, and the best backups.

01. Asm#400
    02. Ppssm#200
    03. Asm#200
    04. Ppssm#100
    05. Asm#300
    06. Asm#700
    07. Asm#600
    08. Asm#100
    09. Asm#500
    10. Wsm#100

Quote Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
    Anniversaries are annual. Increments of 100 are just increments of 100.

I'm going to go with #600, it had a strong self-contained feature length lead story, and the best backups.
    They use the word on the cover.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?