Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Bisley Reflects On 35 Years Of "2000 AD"

Influential artist Simon Bisley discusses his work on "2000 AD," his apparent obsession with anti-heroes, his unlikely love of Captain America and teases a possible return to the pages of "2000 AD."

Full article here.

God, I love Bisley:

"Well, I didn't even realize that my collaboration with Pat was so fruitful until I was older, I'm 50 now. I appreciate Pat much, much more than when I was younger. When I was younger I was just full of spunk, man. I was full of energy. I just wanted to go. I could stop buses, I could do anything. I was as strong as three men. I had no consideration for anything or anybody; it was just all about me. Now that I'm older, I reflect and think that, yeah, Pat was a great writer and is a great writer. He's always an interesting person."

Nobody else answers a question like that.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

I don't know Bisley, but what a fun interview. This makes me want to check his work out. And I really want to see him take on that Captain America story!
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

I fell in *love* with his work from that A.B.C. Warriors story! (and in love with the characters too - especially Pineapples. It's no wonder though since he's Biz's fav) I used to just crank up the Iron Maiden and drink in all the chaos and "grit!" It kinda sucks to say this, but nothing else he's done since has really given me the same reaction. (but that's the thing about first times, isn't it??)

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I don't know Bisley, but what a fun interview. This makes me want to check his work out. And I really want to see him take on that Captain America story!
    I'd recommend starting with Slaine: The Horned God.

Always love the way Bisley interviews like he draws.

Great interview and while I wasn't a fan of his cover for 1800 it'll be interesting to see what he does next and always nice to see the alumni of 2000ad bigging the Galaxies Greatest up.

The first two books of Horned God are just superb.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Interviews like he draws, that's a good way to put it.

He seems like a really cool person and I need to check out Tower Chronicles. I would love to see him and Grant do Captain America. So many non-Americans are weird when it comes to the character.

Quote Originally Posted by colin.ynwa View Post
    Great interview and while I wasn't a fan of his cover for 1800 it'll be interesting to see what he does next and always nice to see the alumni of 2000ad bigging the Galaxies Greatest up.
    Yeah, something was seriously wrong with his rendition of Anderson. Mind you, if he did the Batman/Dredd comic I'm thinking of, Bisley cannot do Anderson in any way, shape or form without massively screwing it up.

But he does Old Stony Face very well.

Oo fuck!!!! What a pure Bisley interview!!!!! I really love this guy!!!! He always has the balls to go further than any artists today (except Frank Miller).

I hope to see his art anew in 2000 AD which is also available on iPad, for the US customers who have problems to have their weekly Progs.
    And, yep, 2000 AD is the best worldwide comics magazine. No kidding. It's a pure pleasure for the eyes. Each week, since 35 years!!!!

Bisley!!!! Man!!!! Go home and do some shitty gory fucked stories like you love to do!!!!!! I am waiting, Man!!!!
    2000 AD of course!!!
    All Hail The Mighty Tharg

Very good article!
    Lovely to hear his honest love for his 2000ad work and 2000ad itself :)

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Goddamn, Bisley is so fucking cool; I want to meet him.

Bisley's art, like Kirby's art, is so full of energy, power and oomph; I could stare at both their works for ages.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Bisley rocks.
    DROKK IT!!

Never been a huge fan of Bisley, but I can apprciate him in certain lights. That being said, his excitement is contagious.