Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    I read the first issue couple issues but was afraid it would turn into the fan service heavy anime so I stopped reading. If its more toned down than the anime I will definitely check it out cuz I like the overall story.
    The manga is much more plot-driven, Tsukune is still everyone's love interest but I never felt that it was fan-service over content the way the anime was. From what I remember about the anime it was pretty much always: Moka transforms (in a fanservice-heavy sequence) and squashes the villain of weak in seconds. In the manga the villains gradually get stronger, team-work between the girls becomes more necessary and even Tsukune has to start finding ways to power up, rather than remaining the eternal damsel-in-distress. You start getting plots where the stakes are fate-of-the-world or at least fate of one member of the group being serious enough for the rest of the girls to set aside their rivalry to go to the rescue of whichever character is taking their turn at being in distress.

Ruby ends up being the designated fan-service character, but it's usually played for laughs: Ruby's personality is the most conservative of the girls, she's barely even a real member of the harem, more like an adviser/older sister to the group... Then she suddenly shows her hidden S&M leanings to everyone's shock.

The manga is very much superior to the anime IMO

Some fanservice seems to almost replace aspects of a character that isn't treated well, they start to develop the character but then just quit and leave her look and outfit, or lack thereof to define her. Sekerei's fun to watch, mostly because the fanservice is used for humor and it's just there...and I wonder how the personality of the main guy affects the fanservice, like in most harem anime the main guy isn't that forward and anytime that any of the ladies is even close to naked they get all flustered and all...kind of like the main guy of Girls Bravo...I wonder how much/if it'd change much if the guy was much more forward in that respect...Linebarrel of Iron is another one that has several bits of fanservice that's used mostly for laughs and to embarass the main guy. Even an anime like Fairy Tale has serveral instances of fanservice, though imho none of them dominate the story.
    W/B Warpath/Siryn Sam/Tabitha I'll go now............................................... ...

Lover of fine stories Mahou Otaku's Avatar

I don't see anything wrong with fan service, I think it's funny in most cases. Scenes that are completely impossible in real life occurring (seriously, how many times can you accidentally trip and rip someones shirt/pull down their pants in a week?) and the reactions are generally fun to read.

In some cases, fan service can add to the atmosphere in romantic manga. Look at Suzuka and the drama it went through and how it had fan service sprinkled through at certain points which added to the feel of the book.

However, I think it can be taken to extremes. Look at To Love Ru: Darkness, my god, that's nothing but pure fan service without any disguises. I think the mangaka thinks, "Okay, I need this particular ecchi situation, now let me think of some extremely improbable story to surround it with to get them to that point).

I'm kind of surprised that some anime don't have a little section in them to explain to people the meanings of some animeisms, like what it means when a character gets a nosebleed and all...something like that for fanservice. Sure Suzuka has some fanservice but after all the characters are in high school so they can only go so far and it's not really the focus of the book...then again look at Negima and there's plenty of it in there over the different versions...always like Fairy Tail as well, Erza and Lucy for starters have plenty of fanservice...even the ladies get some in that anime given how often Grey likes to take his clothes off...
    W/B Warpath/Siryn Sam/Tabitha I'll go now............................................... ...

IMO, fanservice is a gimmick--one dictated for solely for sales or because the story is a fantasy that isn't meant to be taken remotely seriously. Like most things, there are degrees of it from the subtle to the ridiculous, and there are people who like it and people who hate it. But that kind of describes most things in life, really...
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

It's funny when some anime make fun of the fanservice when it shows up, then there are those that don't care and are just wall to wall fanservice, though some of them are still fun to watch.

Would it count as fanservice on some level if as per on Qwaser of somethign or other as I can't remember the anime's full name right now, but it's another of those anime where there's a special person that's a fighter with special powers, only this time when they pair up with their handler they power up using a very odd item, breast milk...

While not pertaining to fanservice specifically, I always HATED the "nerdy, perverted kid who always gets all the girls, and has a nosebleed every five freaking minutes" trope. To me, that's just a excuse for giving fanservice a "comedic role" in an episode when it's quite obvious that it is forced and overused a bazillion times. It's up there with "the monotone girl who never smiles but always gets all the attention".

Quote Originally Posted by TheLemsterPju View Post
    While not pertaining to fanservice specifically, I always HATED the "nerdy, perverted kid who always gets all the girls, and has a nosebleed every five freaking minutes" trope.
    *High Fives*

...though really it would be better if the kid was perverted. Most guys that get all the attention are like 'even though you're totally hot and I'm a teenage male, I'm going to act like sex is the scariest thing ever'.

Archnemesis of Reason FarBeyondC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheLemsterPju View Post
    It's up there with "the monotone girl who never smiles but always gets all the attention".
    But not even that can hold a candle to fanservice centered around those who age and appearance fails to match- in either direction. At least, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    *High Fives*

...though really it would be better if the kid was perverted. Most guys that get all the attention are like 'even though you're totally hot and I'm a teenage male, I'm going to act like sex is the scariest thing ever'.
    But perverted guys aren't allowed to get girls.

That's like... the law!

A law that guys like Sakurai Tomoki, Ousawa Akatsuki, and several others I can't remember at the moment break gloriously.
    "That which does not grow falls into decay."

Utopia - Tetra Eisengard
    Lockdown - Kalak Fenras

Quote Originally Posted by FarBeyondC View Post
    But perverted guys aren't allowed to get girls.

That's like... the law!

A law that guys like Sakurai Tomoki, Ousawa Akatsuki, and several others I can't remember at the moment break gloriously.
    Heh, good ol' Tomoki.

And Issei:

And Sugisaki Ken, can't forget the guy whose stated goal is making a Harem:

TBH I find the concept of Harem anime genre to be absolutely appalling and at best unappealing.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    TBH I find the concept of Harem anime genre to be absolutely appalling and at best unappealing.
    Different tastes and all.

Personally I find it fun.

Fanservice does not bother me at all. If it's there, than it's there. I'm more reading the manga just to enjoy the story and or characters anyways (For example: Negima).

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Different tastes and all.

Personally I find it fun.
    To me collecting women like they are objects is offensive, male id driven bullsh!t. However not all Harem manga comes off that way and there is enjoyable harem manga that treats the male/female relationship with respect and tact, even despite some gratuitous panty shots and/or nudity.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison