Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DAMSELS...Worth a look??

Been seeing a few cover variants and such on ebay,was wondering if anyone has the first 4/5 issues so far?

What do you think??

RALPH.

Haven't read it, but it's written by Leah Daughter-of-Alan Moore and her husband. She didn't inherit any of his talent. Which is why I haven't read it.

However, if it looks like it might be your thing, try it. You're a better judge of your tastes than we are.
    Last edited by DonC; 01-14-2013 at 04:19 PM.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

I dropped the book after the first issue.

BANNED

I've read the first 3 issues, and it's pretty good. Have yet to catch up though.
    Last edited by Mr. Holmes; 01-15-2013 at 08:48 AM.

I do like the artwork.

Would be a nice destraction from superheroes :)

RALPH.

I've been reading it. Pretty good with an interesting mystery.
    Dream Boy's Dynamic Divas:
    Wonder Woman. Amethyst. Starfire. Spider Woman. Dazzler. Hellcat. Witchblade. Black Canary. Donna Troy. Wonder Girl. Huntress. Karma. Danielle Moonstar. Magik. Magma. Jean Grey. Psylocke. She-Hulk. Emma Frost. Ms. Marvel. Supergirl. Catwoman. Wolfsbane. Firestar. Fire & Ice. Dr. Light. Arachne. Snowbird. Tigra. The Wasp. Dream Girl. Saturn Girl. Marvel Girl. Polaris. Looker. Vampirella. Red Sonja. Zatanna. Dawnstar.

"Sometimes the best man for the job is a woman."

I'm lukewarm towards it. It's been interesting and has gorgeous artwork, but has yet to really wow me.
    My blog where I mostly do comic reviews

Vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit

Mixed response then.

still,aside from some of the variants,they,re cheap on ebay,so I might bite.
    it just looks so different from my usual reads,could be good.

Cheers guys.
    RALPH.

The Devil's Advocate aguynamedjames's Avatar

Everyone needs to do themselves a favor and read this series, I picked up Issue 1 because a preview of it had awesome art, now finished issue 7, i've been hooked the whole way. The art and colors are amazing throughout, and more importantly its high caliber story-telling.

Its an awesome title that is somewhat underappreciated, since almost all comic critics are morons, and most people are so used to reading only super hero stuff, Generally, any thing that isn't a superhero has to be mindless sex or violence. "edgy or dark". I'm a grown man and I read titles from 4 company's. With all honesty I can say that Damsels, a story of colorful fairy tale princesses is the best thing I'm reading.

Quote Originally Posted by aguynamedjames View Post
    Everyone needs to do themselves a favor and read this series, I picked up Issue 1 because a preview of it had awesome art, now finished issue 7, i've been hooked the whole way. The art and colors are amazing throughout, and more importantly its high caliber story-telling.

Its an awesome title that is somewhat underappreciated, since almost all comic critics are morons, and most people are so used to reading only super hero stuff, Generally, any thing that isn't a superhero has to be mindless sex or violence. "edgy or dark". I'm a grown man and I read titles from 4 company's. With all honesty I can say that Damsels, a story of colorful fairy tale princesses is the best thing I'm reading.
    I noticed this in some Dynamite house ads the other day... how does it compare to Fables?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire2099 View Post
    I noticed this in some Dynamite house ads the other day... how does it compare to Fables?
    Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I hope you've checked it out in meantime. To answer your question. I can't honestly answer your question. I flipped through a couple of issues of Fables, I know a lot of people like it, but it didn't hook me. And again, The only reason I picked up Issue #1 of Damsels was because of the preview and I wanted to try something different.

I'll put it this way, If you think it sounds interesting then pick up a few issues, Whats the worst that can happen? If you don't like it your out what..6-9 dollars? If you do like it, and I feel confident that many people who read it will, then you've found a great new story and world to immerse yourself in.

I read about 20 titles from 4 companies each month. Damsels is the ONLY one that has never disappointed me, The only other title that comes close to such a boast is Simon Spurrier's superb X-men Legacy, but even that had a less then adequate first Issue. They are very different types of stories obviously. I've enjoyed every issue of Damsels and it always manages to make me want to come back for more. I know opinions are like assholes (everybody has one) but its just my take on it.

I mean its obviously not super heroes, yet it has plenty of heroics. Leah and John take the underlying elements and themes of the classic fairy tales and really make it their own. A story that knows its roots but is also unique.

Also, In my opinion the story is fairly "girl power-y". This doesn't bother me since its impossible for me to be insecure because of my awesomness. However I think many of the mostly male, mostly super hero reading comic fans might be hesistant.

The girl powery stuff also doesn't stop me from appreciating that some of the characters are very hot. One of the Main characters is a red head with dreadlocks, she has that "nice fat ass in jogging pants" look..you know what I mean? Yeah..you know what I mean. And don't get me started on the mermaid character. She is perfect, She has every quality that I could want in a woman: Scales, gills, fangs, air of desperation, and thinly masked lunacy...how hot is that?

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Haven't read it, but it's written by Leah Daughter-of-Alan Moore and her husband. She didn't inherit any of his talent. Which is why I haven't read it.
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion, so please don't think i'm insulting you, but I will strongly, but respectfully, disagree with you here.
    I don't think a comparison between Leah Moore and her father is really relevant since she writes completely differently then He did. In all honesty if she so desired she could drop the "My father is Alan Moore" card anytime she wanted to get ahead, but she doesn't.

I imagine its like being rock musician, but your father is Mick Jagger...or you've decided to make pimpin' your life's work, and your a really good pimp too, but everyone knows that your father is the famous 5th street Silky Bear, a pimp who ruled his bitches with an iron backhand...but also with compassion. I guess i'm just saying that it can't be easy to live in the shadow of a titan..also i'm saying pimpin' is in fact not easy.

One final thing. John Reppion is a real stand up, classy fellow. That has no bearing on the story per se, but I think its awesome. If you think some of my post here are over the top, head over the Dynamite Forums and read some of what I've written on the Damsels thread.

The batshit insanity pours out those posts in waves..seriously I've gone back and read some and found that I terrified myself. Despite that John Reppion has consistently posted and replied to post on that thread. Thanking people for support, giving updates and news about the story, and just generally being a fairly likeable person. 3.99 for a comic isn't breaking the bank, but I do think its nice when a creator will take time out of their schedule to respond to fans.

Again, no bearing on whether somebody will like the story, I think its just nice.
    the Damsels title, Leah Moore and John Reppion have significantly raised my opinion of not Only Dynamite Entertainment and fairy tales..but of England..which, after careful research I have discovered is not mythological and is in fact a real place that exists today. I was confused because its not in the United States and I thought the world ended outside of our borders.
    She was cold and perfect, like moonlit steel.

Damsels: Giant-Killer (a one shot) just came out and it is a pretty solid read. Good fairy tale type storyline with some clever adult themes (sort of what the main series goes for). I think Giant Killer is a little more clever than the main series, which tends to be a little blunt. The cover kind of stunk but the interiors were great. Personally, I'm a Dynamite fanboy and I find Damsels to be a refreshing break from the "dark/edgey + tna" style of stuff like Red Sonja and Vampirella (Red Sonja is my favorite series though, so you know >.>)

Damsels: Mermaids (which has a different author) has been better than the core book though IMO
    I knew I'd bury you one day, you sanctimonious, self-righteous pain! -- Lex Luthor

Quote Originally Posted by Algus View Post
    Damsels: Giant-Killer (a one shot) just came out and it is a pretty solid read. Good fairy tale type storyline with some clever adult themes (sort of what the main series goes for). I think Giant Killer is a little more clever than the main series, which tends to be a little blunt. The cover kind of stunk but the interiors were great. Personally, I'm a Dynamite fanboy and I find Damsels to be a refreshing break from the "dark/edgey + tna" style of stuff like Red Sonja and Vampirella (Red Sonja is my favorite series though, so you know >.>)

Damsels: Mermaids (which has a different author) has been better than the core book though IMO
    Thanks for the input on Giant Killer, I have too, got it tod..yesterday, Haven't read it yet, but no real worries about quality has Reppion and Moore have yet to disappoint me I have yet to question them.

I'm a dynamite Fanboy myself, I mean I read a lot of Marvel titles too but I feel an illogical loyalty to my DE titles. I wish some titles were pushed more, Damsels obviously, I think Uncanny is superb.

Also have you read any of the Damsels Mermaids?

I'm not sure whats going on there, I Liked the books, a lot actually, my only complaint is that the depiction of the little mermaid in that offshoot is not what I like. The art is awesome. But the Mermaid was perfectly beautiful as the quasi mutant that Aneke depicted her as.

There are a lot of twists and turns. I was not expecting the story to be that convoluted going in for some reason. I was quite fond of the art however. Pretty much from this point on, I will be suspicious of every character in that book since so far it has been mostly, "Haha! I tricked you!" ad nauseum. Like I said in my other post though, I actually like it more. It doesn't have to suffer the burden of trying to world-build though.

Both comics have been really good however. I'm excited for this franchise to develop and think it's pretty cool DE has been supporting it so well.
    I knew I'd bury you one day, you sanctimonious, self-righteous pain! -- Lex Luthor