Hybrid View

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default When Words Collide - Jan 14, 2013

As Grant Morrison's run on "Action Comics" nears its end, Tim looks back on the series meant to establish Superman's role in the New 52 and wonders where it all went wrong.

Full article here.

never read it. from what you say, it seems like mostly corporate decisions affected this book. didn't even know it was ending...
    Comic Book Deaths 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SvM6adTeY

Bring back Ultimate DAZZLER!!

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Oddly enough I feel like Tim's post was fractured and inconsistent with what came before it. Follow up with #17?

And yeah the art was a total squander even with the help from good collaborators like Andy and Ha

Supes and Action have never been my cup of tea, even before the disastrous "New 52". I was a Bat fan. As much as others lauded Morrison on the Bat titles, I detested him. He writes, in my opinion, like a smarmy teenager who already knows the story. He's just showing off that he knows more back history than you and will cram it all into a story, even if it makes no sense...
    Oooops, I digress...
    I think the things the author of this piece finds disturbing about Action, under Grant Morrison, are indicative of problems throughout the "New 52". Poorly planned books and story themes have led to early cancellations, artist and writer shifts have left disjointed stories.
    Long time DC fans, who had an understanding of continuity, were tossed to the curb for a "reboot" so new fans could jump on. Now when a story drags or art suffers, there is no attachment to keep fans buying and reading the books. I have no time invested in "New 52" so it's no loss to me to walk away.
    I had 40+ years invested in the old DC so I would keep buying and reading thru some half baked story lines because I had an investment in what was happening. I, and others, were shown the curb 18 months ago. Is it my loss or DC's? I know how I feel about it....

Those problems are legit, but they are still amazing comics, cant wait to read the whole run over a weekend.

Tim, have you read all the issues, together?
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

So this is a Superman that doesn't correspond with Morrison's pre-New 52 visions of him, but wait, he shouldn't be a man of the people (which he was in his original Action 1 debut), but wait the artist is the problem because he's just not good enough (like he was in Identity Crisis???), but wait, this Superman should hold to the same mythos as Batman in the pre-52 version, but wait, Lex Luthor isn't terribly bad yet ( and shouldn't have the opportunity to GROW into an evil guy) but wait why isn't Morrison leading to my own personal (misinterpreted) vision of Superman which is a composite from various unrelated works published prior to the New 52?
    Dear CBR, in the future can you please provide meaningful articles that are not crafted by someone with ADD and actually have some verifiable comic background from at least the past 10 years? 5 years?! PLEASE???????? None of us enjoy these whiney nit-picky extremely personal type of ramblings.

Well thought out and strong concluding paragraph. My friends and I agree, the art has paced this series into oblivion. I've ever had a good handle on what Morrison was trying to do with this. Really how could he ever top all-star?
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by DocSpin View Post
    So this is a Superman that doesn't correspond with Morrison's pre-New 52 visions of him, but wait, he shouldn't be a man of the people (which he was in his original Action 1 debut), but wait the artist is the problem because he's just not good enough (like he was in Identity Crisis???), but wait, this Superman should hold to the same mythos as Batman in the pre-52 version, but wait, Lex Luthor isn't terribly bad yet ( and shouldn't have the opportunity to GROW into an evil guy) but wait why isn't Morrison leading to my own personal (misinterpreted) vision of Superman which is a composite from various unrelated works published prior to the New 52?
    Dear CBR, in the future can you please provide meaningful articles that are not crafted by someone with ADD and actually have some verifiable comic background from at least the past 10 years? 5 years?! PLEASE???????? None of us enjoy these whiney nit-picky extremely personal type of ramblings.
    This. While it may not have been good as All-star run it was pretty straight forward in it being a showing how the golden ae superman becomes more like the silver/New 52 Superman. I like how they showcase Lex's genius and how he developed into a dangerous threat(taking Superman down exactly at 8:00 fulfilling his promise to General Lane) or how he made recreated Brainiac. This is a new Superman and a perfect reimagining of the Superman universe(compared to Geoff John's Superman origin and John Byrne man of steel comic). Should it have a few captions like JL#1 and JL#7 and Action Comics#1 annual did. Sure and could Rag Morales art been a little better yes. But it wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be.
    A Comic book fan till I die.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSpin View Post
    None of us enjoy these whiney nit-picky extremely personal type of ramblings.
    So you decide to respond to what you feel is a "whiney nit-picky extremely personal type of rambling" by whining and nit-picking in an extremely personal manner.

Well, you're right about one thing. None of us want to read it. And there's about ten times as much whining in these comments as there is in that article. It's a wonder intelligent people come and actually write anything at this site when the response they get is this.

Anyway, nice article, Tim. I agree on most points, particularly the art. Looking back on my favorite bits of this run so far, Morales didn't draw a single one of them. A more consistent artist wouldn't have completely solved all of Action's problems, but it wouldn't have hurt, either.

Quote Originally Posted by superfriend View Post
    by the by, i would give Action Comics #9 a nod for best single issue of the year for 2012. elegaic, insightful and ambitious. somehow Morrison managed, along with Gene Ha, to break thru and get a signal out. and as faint as it was, it was a much-needed respite and gave some sense of closure for those of us moving on, along with Morrison, from the DC Universe.
    As far as DC comics go, I'd absolutely agree. That issue, more than any comparison to past Morrison comics like All-Star, makes me wonder what this run on Action could've been.
    Last edited by tylenoljones; 01-14-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Earth Fun (Party Earth) Mr_Wayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docspin View Post
    so this is a superman that doesn't correspond with morrison's pre-new 52 visions of him, but wait, he shouldn't be a man of the people (which he was in his original action 1 debut), but wait the artist is the problem because he's just not good enough (like he was in identity crisis???), but wait, this superman should hold to the same mythos as batman in the pre-52 version, but wait, lex luthor isn't terribly bad yet ( and shouldn't have the opportunity to grow into an evil guy) but wait why isn't morrison leading to my own personal (misinterpreted) vision of superman which is a composite from various unrelated works published prior to the new 52?
    Dear cbr, in the future can you please provide meaningful articles that are not crafted by someone with add and actually have some verifiable comic background from at least the past 10 years? 5 years?! Please???????? None of us enjoy these whiney nit-picky extremely personal type of ramblings.
    this!!!!!!
    I've always wanted to diversify the DCU, but usually when I do it, James Robinson comes along and kills them all. -Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoDaCosta View Post
    never read it. from what you say, it seems like mostly corporate decisions affected this book. didn't even know it was ending...
    I thought Morrison had free reign to do whatever he wanted (which frustrated George Perez and the others as they didn't even know what he had planned). If he was indeed mandated to make Superman an earthly scrapper, I can see how it fell apart...or if he had absolute creative control, then he simply tried something different and it didn't work out.

I have no problems with the book's writing, other than some weird transitions in issue #3 and the questionable decision to interrupt the first arc to tell that Legion two-parter (which was probably due to Morales' erratic schedule), but I agree about the inconsistent art.

Ever since issue #1, Morales has been completely incapable of drawing two consecutive issues by himself (back-ups excluded), and the few pages he gets do draw usually look rough and unfinished. This series really needed an artist who had a good synergy with Morrison and yet could deliver an issue every month, like Doug Mahnke. The one good thing I can say about the latest issues' art is that Brad Walker finally got the hang of drawing Superman's face, which looked terrible in the last pages of issue #8.

BANNED

The only thing I agree about is the art:

Yes, I'm disappointed that we didn't get 18-19 issues of T-Shirt and jeans Golden Age Superman. But that's not really a flaw in the writing, that's just preference/taste. Morrison clearly was never committed to doing that kind of Superman run. He's stated in interviews that this was about the bridge between that and the more DCU-conscious, fantastical Superman that we are more familiar with. Man torn between two worlds.

This Lex Luthor is just getting started. He's lived his life in a grounded reality before Superman, before aliens had overt contact with the world the way it happens in the first 8 issues of Action Comics. It's pretty clear Morrison based this Luthor on what Moore did with him in Swamp Thing. The genius consultant who comes up with the way to bring down the juggernaut. What's not to like? Furthermore, Superman #16 by Lobdell shows the state Luthor is in five years later, and he's more substantial than ever.

I don't know, I thought the use of the Fifth Dimension in Action Comics #15 was brilliant as hell. It's a different context from how it's done in RIP, which was a more grounded noir type of story and the nature of imagination/fifth dimension was left ambiguous enough that it still fits thematically with this version.