Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robcastor729 View Post
    I just want more Harvest. I know I'm the only one, but I hope Harvest appears
    No,i want more Harvest too,but only to find out who he is,and how he created SB.
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Bring back kon-el/Conner kent

Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iopy View Post
    No, actually you're not. I've been hoping the Superboy book would get back to being about his history, origins, and all the other unanswered questions that were set up early in the run instead of where it went after issue #6. It looks like we're finally going there, so after the H'El crossover is finished I'll be adding the book to my pull list again.
    This book has one of the strongest characters,but has been delivered in a less than adequate way,and yeah it bothers me to no end,but it is still good enough to have the great character carry the inadequate team on the book.
    I am a loyal SB fan from 93 until they kill him,and keep him dead for good,but i dont think that will happen,even though it hasnt really been shown,i think DC knows he has potential beyind just another super legacy character.
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Bring back kon-el/Conner kent

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Superman 15 terrible? To each his own I guess...
    The portrayal of Lex was good but Lobdell was trying way too hard to make him seem like a genius. The whole issue was just one uninteresting decompressed conversation with a Superman that's kind of a twat and a really, really dumb Superboy. A massive waste of my time and money.

Lol like I said to each his (or her) own.

......I mean....I liked it...

BANNED

Superman wasn't "a twat" he's just brash and not portrayed as a vanilla white bread. Superboy likewise is extremely intelligent under Lobdell, he's just out of his depth in this issue.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Yeah I'll echo everyone else. I really enjoyed Superman #15. I think Lobdell is doing some solid stuff and the art is to die for.

I'll be getting all these, with the exception of Superboy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Superman wasn't "a twat" he's just brash and not portrayed as a vanilla white bread.
    Don't mind that portrayal at all. I like him in Action a lot in fact. But Lobdell simply writes a Superdick.

Superboy likewise is extremely intelligent under Lobdell, he's just out of his depth in this issue.
    Never read his Superboy so I can't judge that (do you have to read the Culling to understand it?).

There has not been a single issue of his own book or Teen Titans in which, in my opinion, Superboy has been portrayed nor illustrated as good as he was in Superboy #15. Rocafort had no qualms drawing him to genuinely look like a boy, and he was written with a whimsy, almost carefree nature despite being smart enough to know he was in a sticky situation which I haven't seen since the Kessel days. And while he displayed a taste of attitude, it didn't overdo it. This all being admittedly odd since the same guy who wrote him here writes him regularly in Teen Titans. Yet there Lobdell seems to, at least to this point, try too hard to make him a badass loner. But his portrayal in Superman #15 which to me beats out "Grrr...I'm a weapon and angsty and why can't I just be normal" any day of the week. Here's hoping what he did with him in this issue catches on to the TT appearances.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-19-2013 at 04:23 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    Don't mind that portrayal at all. I like him in Action a lot in fact. But Lobdell simply writes a Superdick.
    Nothing "simply" about it, he's pretty much written as someone with straights and flaws as all characters should be written as.

BANNED

Nothing "simply" about it, he's pretty much written as someone with straights and flaws as all characters should be written as.
    I actually quite like Superman being pushed to the edge, it can and has made some good stories (I don't mind For Tomorrow that much) but I dislike Superman spying on Lois for no good reason other than he's still got a crush. I'm glad he quit the Daily Planet but that scene was written terribly and it comes off as him just being pissed about Lois and coming up with a "fodder" argument on the spot. Lobdell works well on things like Red Hood but I don't think he's got a good voice for Superman. He got a good tone but poor characterisation of the main character. You can have a character with flaws and still make him likable but if you make his flaws too big he becomes unlikable. That's exactly what Superman is in the book, flawed and unlikable.

BANNED

I actually quite like Superman being pushed to the edge, it can and has made some good stories (I don't mind For Tomorrow that much) but I dislike Superman spying on Lois for no good reason other than he's still got a crush.
    That's not the reason. He was pretty much in a frustrated attitude after talking to Perry and he made a lapse in decision making. It's not about being pushed to the edge, it's about not being perfect period.

'm glad he quit the Daily Planet but that scene was written terribly and it comes off as him just being pissed about Lois and coming up with a "fodder" argument on the spot.
    I didn't get the impression it had anything to do with Lois. They had been building up to this kind of thing since the Perez/Jurgen runs (don't know if it was intentional, but the tention between him and Edge had been there from the start).

You can have a character with flaws and still make him likable but if you make his flaws too big he becomes unlikable. That's exactly what Superman is in the book, flawed and unlikable.
    Somehow I doubt the people complaining about his characterization here would accept any flaws in Superman.

BANNED

That's not the reason. He was pretty much in a frustrated attitude after talking to Perry and he made a lapse in decision making. It's not about being pushed to the edge, it's about not being perfect period.
    If it was a lapse he shouldn't have brought it up in the next issue.

I didn't get the impression it had anything to do with Lois. They had been building up to this kind of thing since the Perez/Jurgen runs (don't know if it was intentional, but the tention between him and Edge had been there from the start).
    Then what was the point of having that scene? I simply arguement would have done the job. Why not have Edge side with Lois and have that be the thing that made him wuit. I see no reason for him to read her texts. The argument they were having before he read he texts seemed to break their friendship if that was what he was intending.

Somehow I doubt the people complaining about his characterization here would accept any flaws in Superman.
    I hate a flawed Superman so much I didn't have any problems with him giving in and working with the government in DKR.

BANNED

Defalco on Superboy has been pretty bad. The rest of the Superman books seem fine though.

BANNED

If it was a lapse he shouldn't have brought it up in the next issue.
    Lapse or not, it still happened.

Then what was the point of having that scene? I simply arguement would have done the job. Why not have Edge side with Lois and have that be the thing that made him wuit. I see no reason for him to read her texts. The argument they were having before he read he texts seemed to break their friendship if that was what he was intending.
    Not sure I understand what you're getting at. Clark had been reluctant to the idea of working for Edge and a major corporation since the first issue of the book, when Perez was writing it. Quitting the Planet was a pretty natural extension of that; I don't think it had much to do with Lois.

I hate a flawed Superman so much I didn't have any problems with him giving in and working with the government in DKR.
    Flawed as the DKR Superman might be, he was still way too bland and ineffectual for my tastes compared to the New 52 version.

BANNED

Lapse or not, it still happened.
    Yeah and he should have been ashamed of it and not mentioned it later. He should have tried his best to forget about it.

Not sure I understand what you're getting at. Clark had been reluctant to the idea of working for Edge and a major corporation since the first issue of the book, when Perez was writing it. Quitting the Planet was a pretty natural extension of that; I don't think it had much to do with Lois.
    If quitting was a natural extension then Lobdell wouldn't have felt the need to put the text part of that scene in. It looked like the thing that set him off.

Flawed as the DKR Superman might be, he was still way too bland and ineffectual for my tastes compared to the New 52 version.
    Stopping a nuke is so ineffectual.