Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    I've read Silver Age stories set on Krypton that did not depict it as a morally perfect place free of all evil and sin.
    But at the time Superman saw it as a utopia and Krypton was described to the reader as such. Symbolically speaking, Krypton represents (or rather should represent) Superman's lost paradise/lost kingdom.

BANNED

Oh look guys, a Superman thread getting off track for shipping discussions. I'm shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by the Sun God View Post
    But at the time Superman saw it as a utopia and Krypton was described to the reader as such. Symbolically speaking, Krypton represents (or rather should represent) Superman's lost paradise/lost kingdom.
    Symbolism isn't an exact science. It is figurative which precisely means that Krypton was not literally perfect, and since a utopia is more a cultural byproduct than a genetic one, it's difficult to believe that the baby Kal-El carried within his genetic code the building blocks of a utopia. Instead, it has become almost common wisdom that his virtue is the result of the Kents' upbringing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    Oh look guys, a Superman thread getting off track for shipping discussions. I'm shocked.
    Please. The thread is about an interview where a creator specifically talked about the dynamic between Lois and Clark. The conversation now is about Superman's core morality and the extent to which he needs advice. It is not a wholly shipping based discussion and your complaining isn't doing anything to help guide the discussion in another direction. So do you have anything on topic to offer or would you prefer to exacerbate whatever problem you perceive with the thread with more counterproductive whining?

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    Symbolism isn't an exact science. It is figurative which precisely means that Krypton was not literally perfect, and since a utopia is more a cultural byproduct than a genetic one, it's difficult to believe that the baby Kal-El carried within his genetic code the building blocks of a utopia. Instead, it has become almost common wisdom that his virtue is the result of the Kents' upbringing.
    It changes depending on which version of the character we're referring. Or who writes the character.
    From Action Comics #8:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moral.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	107283

All-star Superman #9:

Name:	all.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	107284
    Last edited by the Sun God; 01-16-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

It changes depending on which version of the character we're referring. Or who writes the character.
    From Action Comics #8:

Name:	moral.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	107283
    Well, even that version later introduces Xa-Du the sociopathic Kryptonian doctor that changed people into zombies. So it's more of a general inclination than something that litterally prevents people from turning evil.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Well, even that version later introduces Xa-Du the sociopathic Kryptonian doctor that changed people into zombies. So it's more of a general inclination than something that litterally prevents people from turning evil.
    I don't deny this. (I understand that you are a Byrne's follower and consider Smallville the real and only utopian world of Superman. And his rural values his only moral).
    Last edited by the Sun God; 01-16-2013 at 02:56 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    Yeah I know this forum is now worse than the Wonder Woman one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah I know this forum is now worse than the Wonder Woman one.
    Reasonable, as all the trouble is due to WW.
    Rehire Grant Morrison for Superman.
    Give Lois her own BOOKS.
    Keep Scott Lobdell in Superverse forever.
    5.7 Million Likes. Please contribute for more: https://www.facebook.com/superman

I don't deny this. (I understand that you are a Byrne's follower and consider Smallville the real and only utopian world of Superman. And his rural values his only moral).
    Clever boy, heh? We got special treatements for clever boys on these parts, stranger.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Clever boy, heh? We got special treatements for clever boys on these parts, stranger.
    Special treatments? Which special treatments?
    There was a time when "Byrne's follower" was a compliment.

Special treatments? Which special treatments?
    There was a time when "Byrne's follower" was a compliment.
    'Seen Django Unchained? That kind of special treatment.
    Well, guess it still the case for some. Never been for me.

'Seen Django Unchained? That kind of special treatment.
    No, I havn't seen Django.

Well, guess it still the case for some. Never been for me.
    He was a good artist.

We begin to talk about Snyder and end up talking about Lois. Then, we talk about Krypton and finish talking about Byrne.
    Last edited by the Sun God; 01-16-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drokki View Post
    No.

I follow the superman tag on tumblr, and the superman and wondy blog, (which makes a lot, A LOT of posts under said tag) , during the time JL12 -13-14-15 were released has been constantly posting how secure of himself he is now that he's going after Diana, because of course, he was a wimp before. Following the Superman tag on tumblr meant many of us had to endure those constant arguments based only on shipping preferences.

So, when I saw that hellacre, one of the runners of that blog, brought this up again in this thread with this comment:

...Bringing up the whole issue again, which was that Superman, in the new52, is none of those things. Which I'm sure in their minds are attributed to not being with Lois Lane, judging by the logic of the previous posts I mentioned, I had to make a comment. So no, I'm not hating on something that no one has said and please, don't accuse me of making things up either.
    If you would have said beforehand that you were referring to comments you had seen elsewhere and not here, I wouldn't have accused you of anything. You make a blanket statement like that at a particular board, of course anyone's going to think you're broadly accusing people at that location of the comments.

No, I havn't seen Django.

He was a good artist.
    -Ain't that a shame.

-Yeah he was (although his style ain't my favourite.). Never liked much his ideas as a writer though.