Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Talking About "Sex" With Joe Casey

"Haunt" and "Gødland" writer Joe Casey spoke with CBR about his newest Image Comics series, the bluntly-titled "Sex" with artist Piotr Kowalski.

Full article here.

I'm actually much more interested after reading the article. I wonder if the title "Sex" will drive people away or attract them. I personally wouldn't have given it a second look if I didn't read the interview and am interested to see their take on "retired" superheroes. I suppose time will tell whether it will touch on what I hope it will or if it will feature superfluous sex just for sex's sake. It's cool to see Image backing titles like this and I agree with the disappointment in the big two not following suit. I understand we can't get "Sex" but their main branches are superhero centric and their indie-branches "Icon/Vertigo" are rife with issues but do produce good stories whilst constantly in a state of fear for being cancelled like many of their titles.
    Last edited by Bades; 01-14-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bades View Post
    I'm actually much more interested after reading the article. I wonder if the title "Sex" will drive people away or attract them.
    you're seeing that in the western face of things
    books like these are like butter over in europe
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Bades View Post
    I'm actually much more interested after reading the article. I wonder if the title "Sex" will drive people away or attract them. I personally wouldn't have given it a second look if I didn't read the interview and am interested to see their take on "retired" superheroes. I suppose time will tell whether it will touch on what I hope it will or if it will feature superfluous sex just for sex's sake. It's cool to see Image backing titles like this and I agree with the disappointment in the big two not following suit. I understand we can't get "Sex" but their main branches are superhero centric and their indie-branches "Icon/Vertigo" are rife with issues but do produce good stories whilst constantly in a state of fear for being cancelled like many of their titles.
    Your kind of making his point for him. Europe has comics like this everywhere. This subject is not something that should drive away people or attract them. Sex is no more outrageous then having breakfast.

BANNED

I'm interested. I'm cool with the subject of sex, but this better not be fanservice-heavy.

is sex really so fun and exciting that it can sustain an ongoing series?
    Pull: ASM MS.M Punisher SS AT MLP: FIM MLP: FF ANGR ANU UFF Loki

https://www.facebook.com/UltimateFF2014 (Unofficial Ultimate FF Page)

I'm up for anything Casey does, so I'm in.

DEAD MEANS DEAD DAMNIT Bedlam66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Animal Man View Post
    The fact that you even asked this speaks volumes, although I wouldn't say fun and exciting so much as interesting and engaging, but I'll go with the simple answer. Yes.
    -JLA MEMBER-

JPEG League of America

Syphre Zero:
    Bless us, oh Lord, and thank You for the gift of Ed Benes which You have bestowed upon us. Grant him his rightful reward and favor him as You have Michael Turner and all Your other children who draw women really, REALLY well.

http://www.badpressonline.com/
    CBR DC Wallpaper Thread Newsarama Wallpaper Thread CBR All Comic Art Wallpaper Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Animal Man View Post
    Yes, but not in the context you framed it. Did you read the interview?

Quote Originally Posted by Trilipush View Post
    Yes, but not in the context you framed it. Did you read the interview?
    Yes I did why?
    Pull: ASM MS.M Punisher SS AT MLP: FIM MLP: FF ANGR ANU UFF Loki

https://www.facebook.com/UltimateFF2014 (Unofficial Ultimate FF Page)

The term 'European comics' always kind of bugs me. It should be 'European (except for the UK) comics'. Probably too long winded though. But anyway...

I've pre-ordered the first issue of this, so hopefully it'll get off to a great start. Image is really drawing me in lately, so I'm glad to see myself being interested in more titles.
    Oversized Hardcover Videos!
    Latest uploads - The Planetary Omnibus, Invisibles Deluxe, Before Watchmen: Nite/Owl Dr Manhattan, Wasteland Apocalyptic Edition

Quote Originally Posted by TehJofus View Post
    The term 'European comics' always kind of bugs me. It should be 'European (except for the UK) comics'. Probably too long winded though. But anyway...
    Why? No one considers the UK as a European country.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_i4got View Post
    Why? No one considers the UK as a European country.
    The European Union would disagree. I'm not actually too bothered, I just think it's funny the way people say it.

But anyway, not wishing to derail the thread, was just a quick aside. Let's focus on Sex!
    Oversized Hardcover Videos!
    Latest uploads - The Planetary Omnibus, Invisibles Deluxe, Before Watchmen: Nite/Owl Dr Manhattan, Wasteland Apocalyptic Edition

Never heard of this writer before, so I can be neither excited or unexcited for him working on this.

Sex is... a tricky thing for me in comics. I don't sex scenes particularly interesting and are rather dull, no matter how much you try to tell me there is some symbolism or deeper meaning in it. Scalped is probably the only exception to the rule, but even then I don't care that much for it. So, Sex here could easily become immensely dull unless done right in some fashion. If it doesn't succeed in the first issue, then I'm immeditally writing this comic off. Sorry, but this comic has to be spectular right off bat or no one will take it seriously.

This does look pretty interesting. I particularly like the style and the way colour has been used in the presented pages.