Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Because the all the Robins sell better.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Because the all the Robins sell better.
    Considering that Barbara Gordon had not actually had her own continuing Batgirl title before the re-boot and is now the top selling female lead character in DC, I would not myself assume that a title featuring one or both of Cass and Steph would necessarily do worse than any featuring the male Robins.

They would, and they have. And with out being Batgirl they would be even harder sells. I know a lot of posters like to think its personal, but its not. Its just about money. All the Robins still exist because there is more money in it for them to have all the Robins still exist.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-17-2013 at 11:44 AM.

They would, and they have. And with out being Batgirl they would be even harder sells.
    That was not in this continuity, I have read that most titles are selling more than their nearest equivalent before the re-boot. The only way to be certain is to try it and see. I understand that Gail Simone pitched a sort of next generation "Birds of Prey" featuring them and other younger female characters.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

They would, and they have. And with out being Batgirl they would be even harder sells. I know a lot of posters like to think its personal, but its not. Its just about money. All the Robins still exist because there is more money in it for them to have all the Robins still exist.
    Removing the former Batgirl characters from continuity altogether or having a non-canon appearance of one changed in Smallville seems more like a personal thing in editorial. Not giving them a title can be equated to a business decision. Erasing them and blacklisting their use anywhere seems a bit more. Frankly I suspect a Cass and Steph title might have done as well as this version of Birds of Prey they are trying to save with a new creative team.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickfighter View Post
    Removing the former Batgirl characters from continuity altogether or having a non-canon appearance of one changed in Smallville seems more like a personal thing in editorial. Not giving them a title can be equated to a business decision. Erasing them and blacklisting their use anywhere seems a bit more. Frankly I suspect a Cass and Steph title might have done as well as this version of Birds of Prey they are trying to save with a new creative team.
    A Birds of Prey led by Black Canary with Stephanie and Cass, featuring Batgirl occasionally and maybe retaining Starling as she seems popular, could do well with the right creative team.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Well, well, it seems that Gail was almost considered to get BOTH Birds Of Prey as well as Batgirl, but because of the increasing friction between the writers and editorial staff at DC she refused because of the current editor on BOP.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/...-at-dc-comics/

As for Jim Zubkavich he just didn’t have anyone to buffer him on Birds Of Prey so got canned. I’m told that DC decided that, given recent criticism, they wanted a female writer on the book. Gail Simone, the natural choice given her history was considered to take over the book, wasn’t willing to work with with the editor, after her experience on Firestorm which she walked off.
    Last edited by batGRRRl4ever; 01-18-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

DC just never gets it. It's not about having a female writer on a female book. A man can fully understand the female and feminist perspective. Hell, sometimes a female will completely NOT understand the general female and feminist perspective. I just really don't want Christy on BoP. Sword of Sorcery is just SO dull and boring. At least with the first writer, he made it fun and exciting at points. Hate to see this book go even lower in quality.

I'm really happy with Marx on BoP. I was going to drop it but now I'm keeping it. Although I'll stop getting SoS, it's not because of Marx's job. I guess I don't like fantasy comics that much and $3.99 doesn't help. But after 4 issues of SoS I really like Marx's writting. Her dialogues are real, her characters have depth and each has their own voice. Her world-building is good as well and really imaginative. Can't wait to see what she'll bring to BoP and how she'll handle Batgirl, a favorite character of mine.

It's a complete load of crap really. I really don't mind writers being replaced on books in rapid succession, it happens and there's never not a reason but for Christ's sake don't announce a writer, let him do several interviews that get readers (That's US!) excited and then pull him off before he even gets an issue done. I'm sure DC had it's reasons but it really does not look like it.

I would love to see Mr. Zub have another shot at a Big 2 book one of these days but I can only hope he'll be treated better than this.

Anyway, no BOP for me.

BANNED

According to Bleeding Cool, "it's reasons" amount to wanting a female writer on the book. This is what happens when DC caves into the lunatic, wannabe-feminist crowd on the internet.

I was never going to buy Birds of Prey because I'll never be able to accept what DC has done to the female Bat-characters, so hopefully Mr. Zub is put on a different book.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Well, well, it seems that Gail was almost considered to get BOTH Birds Of Prey as well as Batgirl, but because of the increasing friction between the writers and editorial staff at DC she refused because of the current editor on BOP.

As for Jim Zubkavich he just didnít have anyone to buffer him on Birds Of Prey so got canned. Iím told that DC decided that, given recent criticism, they wanted a female writer on the book. Gail Simone, the natural choice given her history was considered to take over the book, wasnít willing to work with with the editor, after her experience on Firestorm which she walked off.
    If you like the DC universe, that is a scary article. The editorial staff is not only over bearing and disruptive, but can't get it together themselves. The editors appear to be jerking around writers to the extent that the writers don't even feel like they can make a good book that is representative of their abilities and vision.

It also makes me wonder about Duane S. Under him, the book suffered. I railed on him on the boards. But Gail Simone wouldn't take over the book, a beloved run where she was fantastic, because she wouldn't work with this editor. So then you wonder, does anybody stand a chance with this idiot? Does this editor cause so much chaos with a team book that the writer will spend more time trying to piece together the crazy directions to make sense than writing a script?

Meanwhile, Marvel is picking up the decent DC writers because while Marvel is giving direction and making sure no one goes rogue, they are not micromanaging the writers and the writers are given a voice.

I may need to try out a Marvel comic. Do any of them not center around mutants and pathetic misunderstood sad sacks?
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robbin View Post
    I may need to try out a Marvel comic. Do any of them not center around mutants and pathetic misunderstood sad sacks?
    Try "Hawkeye", Everyone loves "Hawkeye" even people who hate Hawkeye love "Hawkeye"

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post

As for Jim Zubkavich he just didn’t have anyone to buffer him on Birds Of Prey so got canned. I’m told that DC decided that, given recent criticism, they wanted a female writer on the book. Gail Simone, the natural choice given her history was considered to take over the book, wasn’t willing to work with with the editor, after her experience on Firestorm which she walked off.
    Hmm, isn't that interesting.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Try "Hawkeye", Everyone loves "Hawkeye" even people who hate Hawkeye love "Hawkeye"
    Are you kidding? I LOVE Hawkeye: the sensitivity, the sense of humor, the cavalier disrespect for pompous authority? He was awesome. Plus, he rarely lost a patient.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel