Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Yeah, it is. It's like how Sandman Mystery Theatre worked. It was numbered as an ongoing, but every story had a new name. It was Tarantula, then The Face, then The Brute, then The Vamp and so on. But it still had ongoing numbering, and the stories were linked.

Just like B.P.R.D. is now.
    I meant that it wasn't a monthly ongoing. Until last year, BPRD wasn't, but looking over the issues, it does look they've gotten an issue or one-shot featuring the regular BPRD cast out every month. It looks like it will be the same this year, so for all intensive purposes, I will consider BPRD a monthly ongoing moving forward. (SMT was always a monthly.)

The bulk of the series wasn't a monthly ongoing, however. It was serial mini-series that fit together into an ongoing series. That's more of what I would to see from Vertigo books. Start with a pilot mini, calculate the numbers from the individual issues and tpb, then start a second series, evaluate, and on and on.

BANNED

How does the rights reverting work at Vertigo? If they just don't print the book in a certain amount of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    How does the rights reverting work at Vertigo? If they just don't print the book in a certain amount of time?
    It's a combination of factors: Vertigo no longer publishing the book, a grant of rights revision, and a small payment. I'm not sure if there's a set period of time that has to elapse, but I'd assume it would probably be around five years. Steve Seagle mentioned that releasing The Crusades was sped up because Paul Levitz was leaving the company, so they pushed through the paperwork and payment. It was one of Paul's last acts as President of DC.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    One of the things I think that Vertigo has been doing well with its latest announcements is pushing more mini-series. For an imprint that basically runs on tpb sales, I'm not sure that ongoing monthly series are really the way to go anymore. Most Vertigo readers are kinda past that need for a monthly fix, so why hold on to a outdated method of distribution. Plan a series, run its first arc as mini, then calculate everything after the initial tpbs sales. It's kinda like what Dark Horse has done with the Mignola-verse, which has since become an empire, but not a monthly one. It also eliminates the need for fill-in artists and the like.

I've been arguing this since the '90s, though.

Im reading right now through the library Vertigo crime GNs and seeing new minies by Vertigo is good. For us old Vertigo fans we are used to stories in trade form, they dont have to be ongoing. Just give me a good story.

Seeing you rate New Edwardian's is cancelled or was it a mini? I didnt follow it news wise when it was new. Saucer Country i tried but i couldnt feel it either.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    Seeing you rate New Edwardian's is cancelled or was it a mini?
    New Deadwardians was a mini.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    New Deadwardians was a mini.
    Good i like a finished story. There needs to be more comics like that, never ending stories is enough with superhero, SF comics.
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    Good i like a finished story. There needs to be more comics like that, never ending stories is enough with superhero, SF comics.
    A finished story is worthless if the story or the art is bad. And I felt New Deadwardians, based off the first issue, was pretty dang poor.

A comic should run for as long as it needs to. Whether that's three issues, six, 10, 12, 24, 60 or 700. A mini-series is not inherently better than an ongoing, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    A finished story is worthless if the story or the art is bad. And I felt New Deadwardians, based off the first issue, was pretty dang poor.

A comic should run for as long as it needs to. Whether that's three issues, six, 10, 12, 24, 60 or 700. A mini-series is not inherently better than an ongoing, and vice versa.
    I wasnt talking this series being better because a mini but a good finished story is better than never ending superhero story because There is always reboots that diminish a quality story like Daredvil Born Again or Batman The Dark Knight Returns can never happen because Batman Will never get old and lose his war on crime.

Im a fan of superhero but it works as neverending genre story because its fun action genre. A story in other genres need a good ending. The best Vertigo usually are stories made for 60 issues run and eventual meaningful end planned.
    Pull List: