Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    One of the things I think that Vertigo has been doing well with its latest announcements is pushing more mini-series. For an imprint that basically runs on tpb sales, I'm not sure that ongoing monthly series are really the way to go anymore. Most Vertigo readers are kinda past that need for a monthly fix, so why hold on to a outdated method of distribution. Plan a series, run its first arc as mini, then calculate everything after the initial tpbs sales. It's kinda like what Dark Horse has done with the Mignola-verse, which has since become an empire, but not a monthly one. It also eliminates the need for fill-in artists and the like.

I've been arguing this since the '90s, though.
    I wish I could say I've been arguing that all along, but yeah that's definitely the model that makes the most sense to me. Monthlies have gotten very outdated.

The Unwritten is fantastic. I hear some people are saying it's getting a little stagnant later in the run, but I've only read the first two volumes, but based on that it's my favorite book in comics.

I really didn't think this would get cancelled already. Vertigo doesn't seem to be a good place for new on-goings lately.

Quote Originally Posted by JessieMidnight View Post
    I really didn't think this would get cancelled already. Vertigo doesn't seem to be a good place for new on-goings lately.
    I liked the first two volumes of unwritten, like I Vampire, and the New Deadwardians, they did it again with a genre that should of been done.

Unwritten has gotten ahead of me, just like Fables I don't know if I want in... 100 Bullets was the last major Vertigo I commited to but I would have finished Saucer County...

It was time! I Zombie wrapped up respectfully, I hope this does too... I wonder if the Walking Dead is still good?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    So that's the end of Cornell at DC?
    Looks like it.
    Cornell has more Saucer Country, but he has stated he is waiting for the rights to revert fully to him.

BANNED

Makes sense, Saucer Country was pretty clearly a TV pitch.

Makes sense, Saucer Country was pretty clearly a TV pitch.
    And if it is at Vertigo, a TV or Movie about Ambush Bug has a better chance of being made.

Quote Originally Posted by fever00 View Post
    Again. So what's left of Vertigo is Fables and The Unwritten. A big announcement is coming soon. Either the line is cancelled and those books will be published by Mainstream DC, or a bunch of new books are coming. Either way, I'm never buying another Vertigo monthly (other than Fables/Fairest) again. Too much goddamn heartbreak has been involved over the last five years. If I feel like reading something from them, I'll either wait for the trade or download it illegally.
    I can't say I support what could be seen as your intention to download, but I do understand why you feel the way you feel. I know people say be happy with what you got from those stories, but for most, there's a limit to how far that philosophy will carry you. It's one thing if it happens to one, two, five or even a percentage of the titles you adore, but when you go through what seems like a whole pull list being decimated due to sales not being there, feeling that your dollars aren't worth a damn is an acceptable reaction to things. I know I'm going through the same thing with Marvel and DC's main Universes.
    Those who refuse to learn from History, will repeat History as they wonder "What the F*ck happened?"

My copy of the "Saucer Country" #1 never reached me, though as he will finish this arc I guess I will get them sooner or later anyway.
    Few enough Vertigo titles ....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    And if it is at Vertigo, a TV or Movie about Ambush Bug has a better chance of being made.
    Yeah that's what I was getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    It's kinda like what Dark Horse has done with the Mignola-verse, which has since become an empire, but not a monthly one. It also eliminates the need for fill-in artists and the like.
    Mignolaverse has been monthly for a while now, and it's actually a few titles per month as it currently stands (with even more coming later this year). Mignola's own title, Hellboy in Hell, is ongoing but will soon drop off a monthly schedule. It's also completely(?) under the control of Mignola and Allie (his editor). We're seeing new artists come to it constantly, and other artists return, so whilst there might not be any "fill-ins", the art style does change from mini-series to mini-series.

As for Saucer Country, I must confess I never really took to it. I bought the first issue, then later the first trade, but I was never champing at the bit for more. It just never really worked for me. I'm sad to see it go because Cornell, in particular, is a real talent, but at the same time I don't think it ever really did anything that made it stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Mignolaverse has been monthly for a while now, and it's actually a few titles per month as it currently stands (with even more coming later this year). Mignola's own title, Hellboy in Hell, is ongoing but will soon drop off a monthly schedule. It's also completely(?) under the control of Mignola and Allie (his editor). We're seeing new artists come to it constantly, and other artists return, so whilst there might not be any "fill-ins", the art style does change from mini-series to mini-series.
    But none of the books are actually monthlies. There may a Mignola-verse book running every month, but every individual book is a mini-series. The artists are specifically chosen to tell a specific story rather than beat a deadline.

Even though it picks up a new subtitle every arc, I'm pretty sure BPRD is an ongoing at this point.

BANNED

Sorry to digress, but since these threads always end up becoming about the state of Vertigo in general...is Fairiest any good? I got really bored with Fables.

Sorry to digress, but since these threads always end up becoming about the state of Vertigo in general...is Fairiest any good? I got really bored with Fables.
    If you didn't like Fables you're probably not going to get much out of Fairest.

As to the other things, typical case of 'the old days were better' doom gloomers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Even though it picks up a new subtitle every arc, I'm pretty sure BPRD is an ongoing at this point.
    Yeah, it is. It's like how Sandman Mystery Theatre worked. It was numbered as an ongoing, but every story had a new name. It was Tarantula, then The Face, then The Brute, then The Vamp and so on. But it still had ongoing numbering, and the stories were linked.

Just like B.P.R.D. is now.