View Poll Results: Would you read an all female Avengers Book?

Voters
110. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • No, My Avengers must include the main 4 Bros (Cap, Hulk, Iron, Thor)

5 4.55%
  • Yes, I like girls.

68 61.82%
  • No, the Avenger women are fairly uninteresting and not powerful.

13 11.82%
  • Unsure, it would depend on the roster.

33 30.00%
  • No, I do not like girls.

4 3.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    It IS true. However you look at it, the Avengers women are friends - often close friends, but still just friends. The X-women are family. Its a wholly different dynamic, and its what will make Wood's book work, in a way that a thematically similar Avengers book just never could, or Fearless Defenders ever will.
    That's not the question being posed. The Avengers aren't family but the book works. This isn't a comparison of the Avengers females vs the X-females and like I said many of the X-ladies aren't as close as some think. Some friends have as close a bond as some families. And any Avengers or Defenders female book wouldn't be built upon the same premise as the X-ladies so there is no point for the comparison. The X-books more like a family? I won't argue you that. But saying that the Avengers females friendship is any less meaningful to them is something I don't agree with.
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

Same family is only FF. Avengers and X-Men are friends.

Scarlet Witch, My #1 =) CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Eh... depends specifically which characters you're talking about.

I honestly think Jessica Jones and Carol are just as close if not closer than any 2 X-Women you want to name.
    Good Examples X-Pac.

You also have very Close Friendships between Carol and Wanda.

Janet and Jeniffer(She Hulk).

Wanda and Janet.

"While I live... and until I die... I am an Avenger !"

Scarlet Witch - Avengers Vol. 1 - #84

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post

Wanda and Janet.

I think Wanda and Jan look a little too close there.

To a certain degree... I think a lot of us just forget about the close friendships that have been on the team just because the characters involved (Jan, Wanda, Jen) haven't been too actively used on the team in the past decade. Carol and Jessica Jones was a Bendis thing. Carol and Jessica Drew is the only one he really used that has a foundation in pre-Bendis years.

I do agree that the relationship between a lot of the X-Women is different than the relationship between a lot of the Avengers women... but I don't think that's a bad thing. It's a just a thing. The books should have a slightly different vibe and there's a way for that to happen. A lot of the bonds on the Avengers are between two specific characters and not the group as a whole. So there's a thematic element for this hypothetical book: developing a group bond.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    To a certain degree... I think a lot of us just forget about the close friendships that have been on the team just because the characters involved (Jan, Wanda, Jen) haven't been too actively used on the team in the past decade. Carol and Jessica Jones was a Bendis thing. Carol and Jessica Drew is the only one he really used that has a foundation in pre-Bendis years.

I do agree that the relationship between a lot of the X-Women is different than the relationship between a lot of the Avengers women... but I don't think that's a bad thing. It's a just a thing. The books should have a slightly different vibe and there's a way for that to happen. A lot of the bonds on the Avengers are between two specific characters and not the group as a whole. So there's a thematic element for this hypothetical book: developing a group bond.
    But it is not only the fans who forget, each writer who takes over tends to forget too. One writer can spend years building a freindship and the next writer will completely ignore it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think Wanda and Jan look a little too close there.
    You're implying you wouldn't hug Wasp to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    But it is not only the fans who forget, each writer who takes over tends to forget too. One writer can spend years building a freindship and the next writer will completely ignore it.
    That doesn't take away from the established friendship. Danny and Luke have been separated for years but their bond is still strong. No matter what a writer does, unless he turns them into bitter enemies, the bond of friendship between Carol, Wanda, Jan, Jen, J Drew is still there.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by marvell2100 View Post
    That doesn't take away from the established friendship. Danny and Luke have been separated for years but their bond is still strong. No matter what a writer does, unless he turns them into bitter enemies, the bond of friendship between Carol, Wanda, Jan, Jen, J Drew is still there.
    But does it matter unless the writer uses it?

But does it matter unless the writer uses it?
    Yes it does. Just because one writer won't use it doesn't mean another one won't.

I was rereading a bunch of Wonder Woman last night. There was a line in there somewhere. (I'm paraphrasing here.)

"Belief in the woman doesn't have to mean hatred of the man."

I'd rather the concept be approached with a positive tone than a divisive one.
    I don't think that would last though. That's why I answered that the book would have to have a tension hook. If it was just a lame old female group doing what guys do but with less gusto, then no one would buy it. If you want your female team to sit up and be noticed, give them tension. Make the females renegades, who may only last for a couple of arcs until the boys reel them in and disband them. Because that's what I think will happen. But in the mean time, the females have made a point. The boys always get to be the ones who design the end game of the Event, and girls all sit around and look pretty. Once the female team has done a Simon Williams, all of a sudden everyone is on their toes, and the next time the boys club imposes themselves, the females can parade out the expletives about how Cap is just so obviously boys club about himself. Maybe start the team up again, to infuriate the boys.

See how that would work better than just the female team recently put together that fought the Red Hulk? They disappeared after 3 appearances because boys club politics forbade them to cross borders to deliver aid personally. They should have done a P5 on everybody and let the UN work out the consequences.
    Last edited by jackolover; 01-16-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

The curious one.

I can't think of it at the moment but I don't think any women are in the Illuminati. That I think is marvel's attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I don't think that would last though. That's why I answered that the book would have to have a tension hook. If it was just a lame old female group doing what guys do but with less gusto, then no one would buy it. If you want your female team to sit up and be noticed, give them tension. Make the females renegades, who may only last for a couple of arcs until the boys reel them in and disband them. Because that's what I think will happen. But in the mean time, the females have made a point. The boys always get to be the ones who design the end game of the Event, and girls all sit around and look pretty. Once the female team has done a Simon Williams, all of a sudden everyone is on their toes, and the next time the boys club imposes themselves, the females can parade out the expletives about how Cap is just so obviously boys club about himself. Maybe start the team up again, to infuriate the boys.

See how that would work better than just the female team recently put together that fought the Red Hulk? They disappeared after 3 appearances because boys club politics forbade them to cross borders to deliver aid personally. They should have done a P5 on everybody and let the UN work out the consequences.
    The writers may not have done the best job of handling the Avengers' women in the past decade or so, but I don't think Steve Rogers has ever really shown signs of being a raging misogynist. There are so, so, so many ways to develop tension in a plot... but relying on one that tears down the nature of one character (or set of characters) in order to lift up another set of character is something I can rarely get behind. Also, from the marketing standpoint making the book blatantly man-hating can be very alienating to a lot of readers.

Here's a challenge: name enough instances where Steve (or the Avengers leadership) has treated the female Avengers differently specifically BECAUSE of their gender to establish a trend.

Gender issues and feminism in comics is something that is very important to me. But, it's always such a delicate thing. Creating issues where they don't actually exist sometimes is actually more harmful than helpful.

... and if the girls are just doing what the guys do... why exactly do we assume they'd be doing it with less gusto?

I can't think of it at the moment but I don't think any women are in the Illuminati. That I think is marvel's attitude.
    That used to bother me. Admittedly, it doesn't as much anymore. It was pointed out that the Illuminati isn't necessarily supposed to be portrayed as a good thing. It's supposed to be representative of an inappropriate balance of power. Given that, it works. If that truly is the attitude of Marvel, I'd wonder where all of these female-centric titles are coming from.
    Last edited by lilyinblue; 01-16-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Scarlet Witch, My #1 =) CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

The writers may not have done the best job of handling the Avengers' women in the past decade or so, but I don't think Steve Rogers has ever really shown signs of being a raging misogynist. There are so, so, so many ways to develop tension in a plot... but relying on one that tears down the nature of one character (or set of characters) in order to lift up another set of character is something I can rarely get behind. Also, from the marketing standpoint making the book blatantly man-hating can be very alienating to a lot of readers.

Here's a challenge: name enough instances where Steve (or the Avengers leadership) has treated the female Avengers differently specifically BECAUSE of their gender to establish a trend.

Gender issues and feminism in comics is something that is very important to me. But, it's always such a delicate thing. Creating issues where they don't actually exist sometimes is actually more harmful than helpful.

... and if the girls are just doing what the guys do... why exactly do we assume they'd be doing it with less gusto?
    That is a Nice way of putting it lilyinblue, Thanks.

In the end I don't every really see Capt doing that to any woman, he has always been an old school gentleman, but none of the old school negative beliefs towards the opposite Gender. That is why he is called "The Boy-Scout", he does what he thinks is right and best by the highest degree possible.

Female Avengers to me have shown great ability to both led and hold a comic book audience just as well as the X-Women, and I am Really Excited for that book as well. The book should not just be done for the heck of it, but should have a deep, but Fun meaning to it. An Event brings them together, a get together, something different that leads to an all female team of Avengers.

Heck, what you just said, some Female Avengers have not had it good in the last decade and that could be meaning to the book as well too. Don't know how that could be written, but something interesting to consider.

I just know if and when a book is announced, I will be one of the 1st on the Bandwagon, you can count on that!
    Last edited by CJStriker; 01-16-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    "While I live... and until I die... I am an Avenger !"

Scarlet Witch - Avengers Vol. 1 - #84

I'd love to see Kelly Sue Deconnick do an all-Female arc in Avengers Assemble to test the waters on this.
    Favorite Characters: Natasha Romanova, Caron Danvers, Dinah Lance, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop
    Favorite Books: Black Widow, Lazarus, Velvet, Captain Marvel, Red Sonja, Rat Queens