Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

I think we can go ahead now and just crown Kieron Gillen the X-King of 2012.

*sigh* Now I'm missing his Uncanny all over again.
    FULCRUM: An ongoing fantasy saga by Niels van Eekelen, out on Kindle and Smashwords in all e-book formats!

Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

Honorable Mention

Jason Aaron! (25 points, 3 first place votes)

His beard still can beat up Alan Moore’s beard. Jason Aaron wrapped up his long run on Wolverine, that many rated as one of the best in a decade, if not more, and this year continued on his tales from the JGSHL, as well as being one of the many driving forces behind AvX. While he has dropped a bit further down on his list, some of that might be from the fact that he writes stories that revolve around Wolverine, and Kade Kilgore’s Hellfire Club. That’s like writing with one arm tied behind your back, this year.

Honorable Mention

James Asmus! (27 points, 4 first place votes)

James Asmus was on Generation Hope when Marvel announced its cancellation, and I’ve seen commenters state that the book “went out at its peak” around this forum. As high of a compliment as that might seem, he’s also currently writing the new Gambit series that has done wonders for revitalizing the character, by focusing not on some of his murky past, but instead, introducing all-new characters like Joelle and Borya Cich into the fray, and having Gambit clash with the likes of Pete Wisdom and MI:13, for a complete change of pace.

Go figure, letting step outside his own narrative and live for the moment as a thief is a fun read.

The Top Four…

Third Runner-up…

Brian Wood!(43 points, 4 first place votes)

X-Men (vol. 3) went from being the Least Favorite X-Men titles, to having people declare it one of the best. Storm was given her own squad to lead, and showed more backbone than she has since T’Challa put a ring on it a few years back. With characters like Pixie and Domino getting their share of the spotlight, and guest-stars like Sabra showing up, the guy’s doing his due diligence for the whole cast.

But he’s also not afraid to show that every character has an agenda, and the conflict can come from within, when he has Ororo and Piotr wrestling at 30,000 feet in a Blackbird. Old friends literally at each other’s throats.

You may have heard he’s writing an “all X-Women” book this week with Oliver Coipel. That may be the leading “SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY” thing to look back on this time next year.

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

Second Runner-up…

Peter David!(43 points, 6 first place votes)

Every damned year, you can count on Peter A. David to be on the medal stand in the “Best Writer” category for X-Factor. All four years. And here he is again, after a year where he killed, resurrected, married off, and then inserted his main character into a satanic Armageddon upon the Earth. He took chances with his cast, taking on Polaris and Havok for the first time in a decade, and taking the bold choice to break them up to focus on Lorna. He wrote a Pip the Troll solo issue. He’s made Strong Guy interesting. He made Theresa Cassidy into a Celtic demigoddess of death. He got Wolfsbane to not suck quite so much, and to go be a mom. He wrote a story where Shatterstar fought an assassin from the Mojoverse, and people wanted to see it play out, going forward.

I don’t know what else to say about his work on the title, but hope we keep getting more and say this:

Get well, Mr. David.

First Runner-up…

Rick Remender!(50 points, 4 first place votes)

Last year’s winner in this category, Rick Remender will have to settle for a silver this year. His Uncanny X-Force run was one of the best on any title the past few years, with 35 issues of action, horror, and its protagonists being put through the wringer. In 2012, it was “The Dark Angel Saga” that readers overwhelmingly awarded these awards to, in a variety of categories.

This year, he gave us “The Trial of Fantomex”, taking us into the Captain Britain mythos and Otherworld, and then returned to Cavern X so that the new Brotherhood could put a shot across the bow and send X-Force scrambling into another timeline (close enough, Gateway. Thanks for the save), only to return to Earth and have to save Genesis II from being corrupted into becoming Apocalypse, in spite of all that Fantomex tried to do to prove nurture trumps nature.

So who took home the gold this year?

The Voters’ Pick for Best Writer of 2012 is…

Kieron Gillen! (173 points, 49 first place votes)
    I don’t think I’ve ever had a point total in the X-Book Awards that high. EVER. 173 points. 80 people voted, total, in this category. 49 of those people said, “Kieron Gillen is THE best writer.”

Math tabulation aside, I pointed out in the write-up of Uncanny X-Men (vol. 2) winning best title, all the moments that qualified it. Well, also add AvX’s “High Point of the Year” where we got “Cyclops was right”, to the list. (Plus the jailbreak from that series, which just missed an honorable mention).

Starting to get the idea? He can take any two characters in a scene, and tell you so much about them just by having them serve as foils for each other, as proven during “Tabula Rasa”. His villains are a treat to read dialogue on (Unit and Sinister are so, so much fun when he has them), and his heroes are flawed, yet fascinating (“The Passion of Cyclops“ and AvX: Consequences show you how Scott‘s a bit broken, but damned compelling to read about). Kieron Gillen’s first arc of Uncanny X-Men managed to pull it out of the “Least Favorite X-Title” category where it had lingered for two years, last year. This year, he put it back on top of the franchise for fans, for the first time in YEARS.

Which more than earns him a tsunami of votes, and nabs him “Best Writer of 2012”. Mr. Gillen, we here on CBR’s X-Forum salute you. Thank you for all your efforts.

Updated Tuesdays.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    That's usually what people say when I end up announcing him during this award. Like clockwork.
    He is. The writers are not hot, however.

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valeria Kementari View Post
    Clay Mann is hot
    Emanuela Lupacchino isn't too shabby herself.
    Top 10:Cyclops. Nightcrawler. Magik. Juggernaut (Cain Marko). Magneto. Hulk. Mr.Sinister. Emma Frost. Deadpool. Legion.

Perhaps we should discuss their work for the year, rather than who we would or wouldn't kick out of bed, y'all.

Updated Tuesdays.

Why was Opena eligible, let alone WON in his category? He only did covers.

That puzzled me as well. Since the Dark Angel Saga wrapped up he's been doing covers until Avengers launched. He and Dean White are an incredible team, but he should've won for last year, not this one >_>

Gutted that Kieron is gone. What a loss to the X-Books!
    http://blanchett.t15.org
    Please pledge only 5 days left for Kirsten Vangness' hilarious Kill Me Deadly movie!http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lm-noir-comedy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Why was Opena eligible, let alone WON in his category? He only did covers.
    Uncanny X-Force #18 and #19 both were released in early 2012. He did do pencils on those. But other than that, yeah, all covers all year.

Updated Tuesdays.

UXF #18 came out in November 2011. Check the connecting Regenesis covers for proofs.

† LINSUS X ZAYNT MALIK † Chase_Stein's Avatar

This ended well. Congrats Kieron Gillen!
    "It doesn’t matter [if] you’re...Asian..., you can make it here in America if you’re willing to try." - Obama

Fantastic work, Worstblogever.
    Thanks so much for putting this all together.
    People voting Logan worst hero of the year is just terrible, but that matter notwithstanding, pretty happy with the results.
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    UXF #18 came out in November 2011. Check the connecting Regenesis covers for proofs.
    In any event, covers are enough to make someone eligible. Past that, you'll have to take it up with all the people who voted him to win.

Updated Tuesdays.

Thanks worstblogever, this has been a lot of fun to read.