Page 51 of 198 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
    BANNED

sentinels are weapons of mass destruction and machines built to perpetrate hate crimes. anyone who disagrees doesn't have a clue.

I <3 Sentinels. I hope Juston becomes a Prime Sentinel of sorts now.
    Upcoming artist or writer? Want somewhere to share your work? Welcome to the Artists and Writers Showcase!!

Quote Originally Posted by alf_to_the_rescue View Post
    I <3 Sentinels. I hope Juston becomes a Prime Sentinel of sorts now.
    Would be an interesting twist as well.

❤ Walking with thee ❤ Ian Pressman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    Are people really unaware that the X-Men are a parable for man's inhumanity to man?

I'm a little saddened if that's really the case, and people need to expand their back catalogues and reading history more. But, if you don't see it, and you don't want to take my word for it, take Stan Lee's.

Stan Lee was being disingenuous. The original X-men core concept was 'teenage heroes' meant to capitalize on the success of Spider-man. He created the concept of mutants because he got tired of coming up with different origins for all the characters so he invented a one size fits all glove to snap around them. The original metaphor had nothing to do with civil rights, it was about teenage alienation. Civil rights didn't get shoehorned in until the late-sixties, when someone decided to get clever with his allegories.
    Last edited by Ian Pressman; 02-12-2013 at 08:44 AM.
    I can ruin you with two sentences.
    There is a clown watching you sleep.
    He isn't smiling.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Pressman View Post
    Stan Lee was being disingenuous. The original X-men core concept was 'teenage heroes' meant to capitalize on the success of Spider-man. He created the concept of mutants because he got tired of coming up with different origins for all the characters so he invented a one size fits all glove to snap around them. The original metaphor had nothing to do with civil rights, it was about teenage alienation. Civil rights didn't get shoehorned in until the late-sixties, when someone decided to get clever with his allegories.
    right, because iceman and beast getting lynched for being freaks in their origins was just a retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Pressman View Post
    So quote him.
    cpjudd.com

"Um, blah, blah, blah. And, Girl Power. Feminism, d'you know what I mean?"

❤ Walking with thee ❤ Ian Pressman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yanapryde View Post
    So quote him.
    It'd be more fun to quote people like Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby, and Pierce Rice. People who give honest assessments of his work without making historical revisions to make him seem visionary. Or original, while we're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    right, because iceman and beast getting lynched for being freaks in their origins was just a retcon.
    More like pitch forks and torches were old hat. If anything, it was racially insensitive and offensive.
    I can ruin you with two sentences.
    There is a clown watching you sleep.
    He isn't smiling.

Instead of derailing this thread any further, I'll just take my shovel and go stop poor Roland Barthes from spinning in his grave.

A sentinel is basically a walking death camp. It has the capactiy to kill hundreds of mutants, and the programming. It did not help matters that Juston's Sentinel will occasionally shout "Destroy all mutants". Hilarious.

And Gage compared Striker's homosexaulity to basically being a mass murdering robot of bigotry?

How that issue has any fans, I will never know.

Kill them both, preferably with X-23.

I love you. -stevensanders.

Josef: You are my morning sweetheart. - KieronGillen

sentinels are weapons of mass destruction and machines built to perpetrate hate crimes. anyone who disagrees doesn't have a clue.
    Is it wrong to want to root for one to have the capacity to change?

We've had a good guy Ultron, a good guy son-of-Ultron, why not a good guy Sentinel?

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonspider89 View Post
    X-Men is an allegory for minority rights in general.

Yes we know but how can a machine be racist? Hasn't Magneto reprogrammed the Sentinels in the past to hunt humans as well? And in Academy, Juston did show sorrow for what Sentinel represented and said he REPEATEDLY tried to reprogram that one program.

Think about it. Would you let your only friend or your childhood pet be mind wiped due to one defect and lose there personality and memory of them?
    If that defect was the urge to murder people becasue of their race I would want them to be mind-wiped, commit ed or otherwise made harmless
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonspider89 View Post
    How does it want????????

It is following a directive and the directive has not overwrite the other protocols. IF it somehow does then yes it should be terminated with extreme prejudice.

More along the line of a former dog involved in dog fights that has been rehabilitated and if it shows any violence it gets put down.

EDIT: YOU do realize he was mocking your past post when you mocked him right?? And you can't discuss the book. People have the rose colored glasses on.
    It has recently tried to murderer a mutant

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    It's not really shoehorning though, It was the central metaphor of the franchise for over 20 years
    It was as close to they could afford to get, starting from the origin stories

Key word being "machines." Machines can be rebuilt and re-purposed. I think trying to turn a weapon of war and terror into a symbol of hope and peace is a really heroic one. If anything, for me it's a much more compelling character hook than "like Wolverine, but with boobs."

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSebert View Post
    Key word being "machines." Machines can be rebuilt and re-purposed. I think trying to turn a weapon of war and terror into a symbol of hope and peace is a really heroic one. If anything, for me it's a much more compelling character hook than "like Wolverine, but with boobs."
    This sentinel is not sentient. One of it's directives is still "kill all mutants" Juston does not give a damn about mutants, there is no effort te reappropriate symbols of terror. He's just too awful to make real friends.

You want to read "evil robot turned good", great. Vision, Omega Sentinel, Jocasta, Danger. All examples of this story that aren't ham fisted and offensive.

There is a reason nobody even mentioned this guy for ...fifteen years or so? Terrible. Even worse, when given the drive, he still rebuilds it to look exactly like a sentinel. smdh.

I love you. -stevensanders.

Josef: You are my morning sweetheart. - KieronGillen