Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Avengers Arena: News and Speculation (Possible Spoilers)

Okay, by now everybody has already know/heard the news regarding the Newest MARVEL NOW! Series (with some of the AA "Students" shown) here.

The only thing that I'm curious about is.......what about the rest....?!??

BANNED

I am sickened by this new book. Absolutely sickened, and want no part of it.

I'm with you here, S/D.

Notice how the only guy who looks like Juston has a red cross on his face.
    Me: Please Marvel, give some spotlight to your 21th century creations instead of killing them every month.
    Marvel: Avengers Arena, lol!
    Classy as always, Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    I am sickened by this new book. Absolutely sickened, and want no part of it.
    Really? I mean when was the last time anyone was actually killed by Arcade of all folks? I figure it'll be like the typical survival arc in any story before they go back to school or whatever, maybe killing one or two new characters made just to die.
    Bring back the Blue Marvel!

My Adam, the Blue Marvel youtube video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLAvJiuOXWo

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Really? I mean when was the last time anyone was actually killed by Arcade of all folks? I figure it'll be like the typical survival arc in any story before they go back to school or whatever, maybe killing one or two new characters made just to die.
    Read the interview. The premise is "WE'RE GONNA KILL A LOT FO CHARACTERS".

Wow. So many characters I like (though a few I hate) and so little interest. What's the point of reading and getting invested in the characters if you're just going to kill them off? And Kev Walker art, to boot. Really disappointing.

I really torn about this title. I really love Hazmat and Mettle and thelast issues of AA made me like Juston and X-23 a lot, but I don't want to see them killed, I don't know the writer and the art is just OK. What's your opinion on the writer guys? I haven't read anything from him...

Wow, so much for a happy ending for Mettle and Hazmat.

Alonso hates teenagers.

Pretty much unloading several magazines on their feet.
    Songbird Appreciation Thread

Support Avengers Academy!

Quote Originally Posted by Luck911 View Post
    Any academy thread right now would lead into discussion about Arena,That where the characters are simple as that...As soon as you say Hazmat,Mettle and Reptil it would lead to discussion.You about them,You can choose to talk about something else it is same thread.Seriously Finesse,Striker,Lightspeed,Pym etc just talk about something else the thread will go on that course.I disagree on your opinion on Arena too but anyways

Would people read a new Academy book without the kids in Arena?
    They read Academy with completely new characters, so I would say so.

Quote Originally Posted by gregyo View Post
    They read Academy with completely new characters, so I would say so.
    I meant more the specific group who was left back

Finesse,Lightspeed,Striker,White Tiger with Spider girl,Power Man,She Hulk,Thunderstrike,Hollow maybe Veil

The book got pretty big extend cast and even with out kids in Arena i thought the book was viable still,Who knows they could possible add Nova and weirdly create White Tiger,Power Man,Spider Girl and Nova thing that is going on the cartoon.They have options i think for book which is why i wonder why they didn't try it

I meant more the specific group who was left back

Finesse,Lightspeed,Striker,White Tiger with Spider girl,Power Man,She Hulk,Thunderstrike,Hollow maybe Veil

The book got pretty big extend cast and even with out kids in Arena i thought the book was viable still,Who knows they could possible add Nova and weirdly create White Tiger,Power Man,Spider Girl and Nova thing that is going on the cartoon.They have options i think for book which is why i wonder why they didn't try it
    Whilst Arena was going on?

You'd be getting a lot of people wondering why the book wasn't just about them going after Arcade and their friends. Can't really make that work without making the others look like d-bags.

Without that though, a new version on the school set up? I think so, yeah. People are still buying WatXM, it's not like it's fallen completely off the chart. It's still viable. Hell, take a different route, and show the old characters just starting out in heroism on their own. With so few new characters, and most of them getting introduced as 'established' heroes, who've been working for a while off panel, I'd say you could get some milage out of 'how do people get started at this?'

Would people read a new Academy book without the kids in Arena?
    If it was as good as Academy and not just set up to kill all the characters, then yes, I'd guess they would. I'd love to see Gage do some new version of Academy, maybe with Vision in charge, since he's nowhere in Marvel NOW.

Any academy thread right now would lead into discussion about Arena,That where the characters are simple as that...As soon as you say Hazmat,Mettle and Reptil it would lead to discussion.You about them,You can choose to talk about something else it is same thread.Seriously Finesse,Striker,Lightspeed,Pym etc just talk about something else the thread will go on that course.I disagree on your opinion on Arena too but anyways
    Yes, but an Arena thread leads to discussion about all the characters in the Arena, which includes the BA kids, the Runaways, DH and others. An Academy thread can focus on other stuff more easily, and might get a bit less argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Croakamancer View Post
    And I will never tire of how many Arena fans, instead of holding the book itself up as an example of quality, feel the need to throw insults at dissenters. ;)

Seriously, I for one can deal with character death. I don't always like it, but I'm a big fan of the Inititive in part because it used character death so well. I was fooled by several moments in The Runaways V1 into thinking characters were dead (when they broke Gert's glasses, I thought they snapped her neck) but didn't complain, didn't stop reading. Hells, I come to this from reading 40k novels, which remain a personal favourite indulgence. :) And yet here I am, still finding this series very, very wanting.

Opposition to Arena is not solely based on disliking character death. It's based on many things, how those characters are being killed, the reasoning behind it. And, on my part at least, the fact that it's simply not a well written story thus far, at least to my mind.

Also, I agree, we could do with an Avengers Academy thread. How does one start up an appreciation thread around these parts?
    I like Zeta Gundam where it has half of the cast dying horribly in the last two episodes and the main gets put into a coma. I still dislike Arena because the entire story is driven off of killing people who aren't popular enough to be ressurected and revolves around it