Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I dont really like the way issue 19 is being solicited...

I never take much stock in what solicits say myself. All to often I've found that they can be misleading in the same why that comic cover often are.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Great interview with Tynion:

http://redhoodsden.blogspot.com/2013...3-edition.html

Any worries are put to rest after this, he really gets the characters and the tone of the book

BANNED

James Tynion IV: I grew up on the X-Books in the 90s I think I still have a stack of my original Age of Apocalypse books lying around somewhere, but the X-Men were always my favorites. I would also pick up a stack of Young Justice books whenever I got the chance, because I absolutely loved those characters and couldn't get enough of them (I have that Sins of Youth trade on my shelf that's absolutely falling apart because I read it over and over). But those were in the "before James had a car" era when I could only get to my LCS in the Milwaukee suburbs once every couple of months.
    Aside from "Milwaukee suburbs" these words could have come right out of my mouth.

It was a mix of the Marvel Ultimate Universe, Winnick's Exiles, and Morrison's X-Men that got me into comics full-throttle, coming back to the shops week after week. I discovered the DC Universe through the rise of Geoff Johns, and my favorite book of his had to have been Teen Titans. Outside and around the corners of super-heroes, the work of Warren Ellis, Brian K. Vaughan, and Neil Gaiman made me fall head-over-heels in love with the comic book medium. Those are the guys who made me want to write comic books for the first time, and their stuff is probably the work I revisit the most.
    Ditto, though I'm not sure how a YJ fan could like Johns's Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Great interview with Tynion:

http://redhoodsden.blogspot.com/2013...3-edition.html

Any worries are put to rest after this, he really gets the characters and the tone of the book
    Just read it myself.

I've had a bigger chuckle over the book's haters reacting to this on Tumblr and being upset he's continuing with Lobdell's tone. Probably doesn't help that he likely grew up reading some of Lobdell's 90s work.
    Last edited by LoneNecromancer; 01-16-2013 at 11:14 AM.

BANNED

Do we think "Strange" refers to an Adam Strange appearance, or if he's just talking about the tone?

I was also thinking of Hugo Strange, but frankly, that isn't really a spoiler-y word!

Nice interview. It seems like RHATO is in good hands with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Do we think "Strange" refers to an Adam Strange appearance, or if he's just talking about the tone?
    Could be Adam or even Hugo Strange. Guess we'll have to see.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Just read it myself.

I've had a bigger chuckle over the book's haters reacting to this on Tumblr and being upset he's continuing with Lobdell's tone. Probably doesn't help that he likely grew up reading some of Lobdell's 90s work.
    I just searched Tumblr and saw no "hate" over this article.

Quote Originally Posted by scouter227 View Post
    I just searched Tumblr and saw no "hate" over this article.
    Really? Odd. But to be fair I only saw one or two people, maybe I just assumed there was more because it felt kind of standard at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Really? Odd. But to be fair I only saw one or two people, maybe I just assumed there was more because it felt kind of standard at this point.
    The best I can describe the atmosphere at tumblr is tentatively hopeful.
    Then again, the haters didn't hate for no reason. They might have even mellowed if the response from Lobdell had been more professional.

BANNED

Comic book fans are too stubborn to mellow for anything.

I've loved Tynion's work on Talon, and from my understanding after listening to an interview with him, it is, for the most part, his book.

Nothing against Lobdell, but I am super excited for this.

If Tynion keeps it high flying adventure and, most important, genre bending and 'big', we'll be fine. He seems to have the best of intentions, but we'll see if he's actually up to the task. "big monsters" and 'deadly assassins' are not really that 'big' to me, in comics.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I'd say the genre bending is the big thing. It's easily what sets it apart from the more generic bat books like Nightwing and Batgirl.