Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    One thing's sure, after seeing the numbers provided by the Mayo report on CBR...

Event Books aren't going anywhere. In the short term, that's clearly what sells.
    Right. To expand - What mainstream comics offer that other competing media don't is universe wide continuity. And they can delegate a certain number of books as "important to continuity" and they WILL sell.

Although I've always wondered why the big 2 don't just label everything an event book....
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    Right. To expand - What mainstream comics offer that other competing media don't is universe wide continuity. And they can delegate a certain number of books as "important to continuity" and they WILL sell.

Although I've always wondered why the big 2 don't just label everything an event book....
    the big events are so dumb you can follow the continuity in a 300 word synopsis online without buying them:)

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

This guy wasn't too happy with his Amazing Spidey #700...oh dear....

But if this trends...should keep prices high for the remaining copies
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    This guy wasn't too happy with his Amazing Spidey #700...oh dear...
    I heard about some collectible issues being burning hot, but this is ridiculous!
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Veteran Member

I think I might give the new Hawkeye series a try once it comes out in trade. I liked the dialogue and artwork in the last preview, which is the first I've seen of it. For once, the updated version doesn't seem completely at odds with the character I recall from the old comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    I heard about some collectible issues being burning hot, but this is ridiculous!
    As long as he's not threatening to kill the writers children...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

I was saving up money for the downpayment on my first house when DC did Flashpoint and then the New 52. Flashpoint looked like a load of crap, but I was curious about the New 52. Because of the house, it was a bad time for me to spend a bunch of money on comics, so I sat out the New 52 and waited to see what people had to say about it here at CBR. And the local public library eventually started carrying some New 52 trades. Based on what I've heard and what I've read, it was a wasted effort by DC. The new stuff isn't all bad, but they threw out too many good things without replacing them with equally good things. The Doom Patrol is gone. The Teen Titans got retconned away, or at least all of their good stories never happened now. The elder statesmen of the JSA are gone, along with some great legacy heroes. Gone, gone, gone. It was a bad trade. I might still try some DC stuff here and there, but the DCnU in general doesn't interest me, so I am only going to buy stories by great creative teams and just ignore all the rest.

Marvel NOW has some neat ideas and some good creative teams, but I just don't trust Marvel to entertain me anymore. I might try Daredevil or Superior Spider-man or Hickman's Avengers, but most of Marvel has been dead to me for years. The event fatigue became ridiculous, and Quesada let Bendis crap all over my favorite team for several years.

Vertigo looks like it's winding down, and there aren't many indie comics that interest me right now.

I guess that I'm basically done with new comics, at least for now. There are plenty of fine reprint collections that I would like to eventually buy, so that's where my spending will be focused.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

For what it's worth, I thought that DC had a better idea a few years ago, when they did 52 and OYL. That was a great way to offer a jumping on point for new readers, but most writers dropped the ball on the OYL part, and DC failed to market it properly. They did a much better job with the marketing of the DCnU.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

I was thinking about it last night. I've bought 90% of the DCnU since the beginning. I'm going to carve it back to Batman, Action, Wonder Woman, JL Dark, JLA, New Guardians, Aquaman, Stormwatch, All Star Western, Earth 2, and Dial H.

Going to pick up Daredevil, Cap, Thor, Avengers & New Avengers. That's big for me.

Keeping all Valiants and the Shadow.

Adding Catalyst Comics, Saga, The Massive, Mind Mgmnt, the Manhattan Projects and more I can't think of at the moment.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    For what it's worth, I thought that DC had a better idea a few years ago, when they did 52 and OYL. That was a great way to offer a jumping on point for new readers, but most writers dropped the ball on the OYL part, and DC failed to market it properly. They did a much better job with the marketing of the DCnU.
    It's surprising I'm actually in a role of defending the nuDCU, but coming up with a monumental change (like COIE, OYL and Flashpoint) is a part of the process and future writers need to follow through. The word about COIE and OYL is that writers didn't really follow through and failed to exploit the event to its full potential. nuDC, on the other hand, has been criticized for being editorially driven and failing to give the writes leeway to write their stories.

It's a darned if you do, darned if you don't situation for DC as they'll get crap either way
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

Shellhead really good posts! For myself I guess my biggest criticism of the DCNU 52 is that its so generic and unexciting. I miss the larger than life aspect of the old DC Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    I admit I've never read SiP. A new sketchbook of Moore's is advertised over at Bud Plant (http://budsartbooks.com/prod.cfm/pc/TERHS/cid/1) and the samples are very nice. How do the storylines compare to what Los Bros do?
    STRANGERS IN PARADISE= ANAIS NIN + JUDITH KRANTZ+ALPHONSE MUCHA

LOVE AND ROCKETS= GABRIEL GARCIA MARQUEZ+ KURT VONNEGUT+ ARCHIE COMICS+PABLO PICASSO

At least that's how I see 'em!
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by LEADER DESSLOK View Post
    STRANGERS IN PARADISE= ANAIS NIN + JUDITH KRANTZ+ALPHONSE MUCHA

LOVE AND ROCKETS= GABRIEL GARCIA MARQUEZ+ KURT VONNEGUT+ ARCHIE COMICS+PABLO PICASSO

At least that's how I see 'em!
    I love Mucha, but Terry Moore's style always strikes me as dull and drab. Doesn't appeal to me at all.

OTOH, I've never liked Archie comics much, but I'm a huge admirer of Love and Rockets and pretty much everything the Hernandez brothers have done.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    I love Mucha, but Terry Moore's style always strikes me as dull and drab. Doesn't appeal to me at all.

OTOH, I've never liked Archie comics much, but I'm a huge admirer of Love and Rockets and pretty much everything the Hernandez brothers have done.
    Sorry, DESSLOK, I just realised that this might have come across as if I was going out of my way to be antagonistic, but I didn't mean it that way at all. I like hearing observations like this and was just sort of marveling at how different my reaction to those artists - Moore, Mucha, the Hernandezes, the Archie artists, etc - is to yours.

And of course you're totally correct that L&R was influenced by Dan deCarlo and other Archie artists; I'm pretty sure I remember interviews where Jaime talked about that and I wouldn't be surprised if Gilbert was a fan as well.

I have to admit that I've never noticed any Mucha in Terry Moore's stuff, but then I really haven't looked at Moore that much, so that's probably down to my own ignorance of his work.

Sherwood Forest on Earth2 & Jersey Pine Barren Earth 18

I used to like Titans,Spiderman,Green Arrow,and Youngblood but they have all changed since the last time I bought so I'm going to check out the comic shop on Wednesday and let you know.