Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

I'm a little surprised at WW's sales. It's the norm to decline but it's a reboot. She has lost a lot of readers in less than a year. You know title like I Vampire was the critics darling but customers themselves did not seem to care for it. DC are trying to push this book too from interviews and blogs etc but it's not making people pick it up. But if a title like Aquaman can shoot up the charts, it can be done. I think it's a matter of getting the right artist/writer. Art is very important for this medium. Cliff Chiang is one of those artists I think you like or you don't. Orion coming in was heralded with excitement by some but then we saw no significant sales spike. So made no difference there. So one wonders who's buying currently. Why are people dropping it? I know I hear people say they never cared for WW at all liking this so have many older readers given up? The ones who cared for the iconic stuff Azz does not seem to care about? There are the casual and curious buyers who might pick up but something has to keep them coming back. I keep hearing decompression as a complaint. Dragging a story is going to make one lose readers. Comics take patience to collect. Maybe the GNs might do better. How is she doing digitally?
    Last edited by thepenguin; 01-24-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thepenguin View Post
    I'm a little surprised at WW's sales. It's the norm to decline but it's a reboot. She has lost a lot of readers in less than a year. You know title like I Vampire was the critics darling but customers themselves did not seem to care for it. DC are trying to push this book too from interviews and blogs etc but it's not making people pick it up. But if a title like Aquaman can shoot up the charts, it can be done....
    Aquaman didn't shoot up in the sales charts. It's been slowly going down (but still more stable than Wonder Woman at the moment).

Books that are declining harder than Wonder Woman include Justice League, Green Lantern, Action Comics, Detective Comics, all Marvel NOW books past #1...

Declining downwards is what comics do. Declining by 2-3% every month like Wonder Woman isn't exactly good but it's hardly the end of the world while the book is still selling about twice what it usually does.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Declining downwards is what comics do.
    I don't understand why people don't get this. Even Snyder's Batman and Johns' Justice League lose like 3k readers a month when there's not something to push up the sales that like a crossover or some other gimmick.

The most profound and liberating thing Mr. Azzarello has done for Wonder Woman is, by making her one-of-the-gods, she is no longer a servant, champion or avatar of gods, ..but, most refreshingly, HER OWN WOMAN and a truer champion of mankind, than ever. Wonder Woman is no longer anybody's PAWN and, in turn, can pursue her own agenda, making a stand where she likes, ..as hard as she likes. Finally, a truly free woman!

She is the most liberated she's been, since Marston, and her status as a warrior goddess - daughter of the King of the Gods - gives this new, appropriate freedom a solid foundation. It's the beginning of a new Wonder Woman era that all her fans should be looking forward, too.

Our traditionalist friends should stay tuned, if even at a distance.

That's why I'm still reading this comic. That and ORION, ..cuz he's the coolest.

Jack Kirby is king!
    Last edited by MelDyer; 01-31-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: clarity
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    The most profound and liberating thing Mr. Azzarello has done for Wonder Woman is, by making her one-of-the-gods, she is no longer a servant, champion or avatar of gods, ..but, most refreshingly, HER OWN WOMAN and a truer champion of mankind, than ever. Wonder Woman is no longer anybody's PAWN and, in turn, can pursue her own agenda, making a stand where she likes, ..as hard as she likes. Finally, a truly free woman!

She is the most liberated she's been, since Marston, and her status as a warrior goddess - daughter of the King of the Gods - gives this new, appropriate freedom a solid foundation. It's the beginning of a new Wonder Woman era that all her fans should be looking forward, too.

Our traditionalist friends should stay tuned, if even at a distance.
    This is wrong, of course

Anybody can punch out a god if they are a god themselves, but only somebody as courageous as Wonder Woman would stand up as a mortal and sock Zeus right in the jaw!

Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Can any one post a picture of when Diana planted the battle axe into Ares head?

Quote Originally Posted by This View Post

Quote Originally Posted by This View Post
    CHONK!

I dont think Wonder Woman's alleged status upgrade makes her more able to stand up to the gods. That's a strawman argument completely refuted by dozens of stories over the last quarter century, this one not least.

The essential point on which this view turns is that she is not in charge. The gods give orders and Diana follows them - apparently blindly, in the opinion of some. Its demonstrably wrong. The think I actually like about her as a worshipper of the Olympians, as horribly flawed as they are, is that is highlights her humility without undermining her self-confidence. Diana will defy the gods to do the right thing, but her innate sense of justice is so great even the Olympians realize the worth of it. I think Gail Simone struck a very important chord when she showed the gods will even go to war among themselves over to whom Diana gives her featly.

If you want a perfect analogy I would use the old Charlton Heston movie El Cid. Heston's character Rodrigo is a knight in the service of a king, but his honor and nobility are so great that others follow the king only because Rodrigo, The Cid, does. This scene, in which he confronts his new liege, is just incredible. It still gives me goose bumps, and shows just because you kneel doenst mean you are weak. Starts 3:50 seconds in. You tell me, who is the most powerful character here?

Last edited by brettc1; 02-01-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”

[from above]It's a great statement about a person who is selflessly noble. When he secures a city that is crucial to the defence of Spain, he sends its crown to his King even though the man had thrown his daughters and wife into prison. Again, it strikes a note sadly overlooked these days where we believe its important to make the loudest noise, that television tells us fame is everything and hedonism is a virtue. Starts 6 minutes in. Wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    CHONK!

I dont think Wonder Woman's alleged status upgrade makes her more able to stand up to the gods. That's a strawman argument completely refuted by dozens of stories over the last quarter century, this one not least.

The essential point on which this view turns is that she is not in charge. The gods give orders and Diana follows them - apparently blindly, in the opinion of some. Its demonstrably wrong. The think I actually like about her as a worshipper of the Olympians, as horribly flawed as they are, is that is highlights her humility without undermining her self-confidence. Diana will defy the gods to do the right thing, but her innate sense of justice is so great even the Olympians realize the worth of it. I think Gail Simone struck a very important chord when she showed the gods will even go to war among themselves over to whom Diana gives her featly.

If you want a perfect analogy I would use the old Charlton Heston movie El Cid. Heston's character Rodrigo is a knight in the service of a king, but his honor and nobility are so great that others follow the king only because Rodrigo, The Cid, does. This scene, in which he confronts his new liege, is just incredible. It still gives me goose bumps, and shows just because you kneel doenst mean you are weak. Starts 3:50 seconds in. You tell me, who is the most powerful character here?

And this is one reason I really do enjoy your posts*, good sir. Well done.

*well, sometimes; sometimes your posts drive me crazy. ;)
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    And this is one reason I really do enjoy your posts*, good sir. Well done.
    Sorry it took me so long to say thank you. Naturally once I started I had to watch the whole thing

*well, sometimes; sometimes your posts drive me crazy. ;)

Flirt

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From Room X View Post
    Its not impossible to be entertained by and fantasize about both Preacher and Stephanie Brown's Batgirl you know.
    You're fantasizing about Stephanie Brown? You dirty bird you...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    You're fantasizing about Stephanie Brown? You dirty bird you...
    Stephanie Batgirl was in college, so I see no problems there but no.