Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default EXCLUSIVE: It's "Game On" For Hopeless & Walker's "Avengers Arena"

CBR debuts an exclusive first look at Dave Johnson's teaser image for Dennis Hopeless and Kev Walker's "Avengers Arena," featuring X-23, Nico Minoru, Darkhawk and Hazmat trapped in a game of death.

Full article here.

I love that Marvel's giving all of the second arcs some big time promotion. One notable absence though, no Red She-Hulk.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Ummm. Spoiler Alert???
    I haven't read issue number 3 yet......... :(
    JOIN the discussion, TRACK your Collection, and do it for FREE... ComicBookRealm.com. Tell them Donuil23 sent you!

I would totally play that board game

Most intriguing is the presence of Darkhawk on Johnson's image, a bit o a surprise since this week's "Avengers Arena" #3 left the hero stabbed through the chest, presumably the latest casualty of Arcade's Murderworld teenage battle royale.
    In my view, it's not weird for two reasons:

1. The health bar never went out. It's not clear if he's actually dead or not.
    2. If he is dead, it should be noted that he wasn't simply "stabbed through the chest." Whatever it was that got Chris ripped the Darkhawk amulet from him. So, in effect, if Chris is dead, "Darkhawk" would still be appearing as whoever killed him has the amulet.

Quote Originally Posted by donuil23 View Post
    Ummm. Spoiler Alert???
    In fairness, it's been about 30 hours since CBR's usual "no spoilers" policy (10 AM day of release) and you probably shouldn't be reading articles about future plots from a comic that came out yesterday if you want to avoid spoilers.

ETA:

"The story structure borrows a lot from the TV show "Lost," especially in these first 2 arcs. You'll get glimpses of who the kids were back home while watching Murderworld slowly change them in the here and now."
    So glad Hopeless outright said this. I've been calling it since the initial solicits and saying it repeatedly through the first three issues: For all the comparisons to Battle Royale and Hunger Games, this book reminds me of Lost more than anything. Especially now with issue 3 with some mysterious entity stalking them in the jungle.
    Last edited by 0bsessions; 01-10-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Didn't we just get some teaser stuff 3 days ago?

Decent cover otherwise, but frankly no amount of hype is going to change opinions now. Things are pretty much set in the "Who likes it" and "Who doesn't" camp. It's not exactly a title that can be new reader friendly at that point. It's a curious decision for Marvel to keep it up like this. At least they appear to recognize the most popular o the cast members (and among them some of the major ones I want to survive).

I'll be shocked if Arcade gets a cover.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post
    Decent cover otherwise, but frankly no amount of hype is going to change opinions now. Things are pretty much set in the "Who likes it" and "Who doesn't" camp.
    Things were set in the "who likes it" and "who doesn't" within six hours of the title being announced, at least among the vocal majorities.

Despite that, you have to continue to market a book, that's just common sense. I'm actually enjoying the title, but I can say I wouldn't continue if they didn't give me reason to be interested about the future. Likewise, there's apt to be others who may pick it up that aren't currently; it's not so black and white as you'd like to assume.

I'm glad Walker is doing the second arc When I first saw this teaser I was worried there would be a rotation (like other teasers recently shown for second arcs, I think, unless I dreamt it or something).
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART

Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    Things were set in the "who likes it" and "who doesn't" within six hours of the title being announced, at least among the vocal majorities.

Despite that, you have to continue to market a book, that's just common sense. I'm actually enjoying the title, but I can say I wouldn't continue if they didn't give me reason to be interested about the future. Likewise, there's apt to be others who may pick it up that aren't currently; it's not so black and white as you'd like to assume.
    Quite true on several points, I still find it odd that, at least from my perspective, there's proportionally more such 'updates' for this title than there are for things like the core avengers titles.

I could be wrong, of course, but I do not care to slog through and check. Then again, most of these exclusives seem to come to CBR rather than Comicvine or other places from what I've seen.

It may attract new readers, but the standard for most titles is to go down and then level off (if they ever do) over time in this day and age. 'least from what I've seen (but I'm sure there are exceptions).

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

Weirdly a bunch of in the don't like it camp love to talk about it,I can rattle of list of books i don't like in fact ,I have sort dislike for new Wonder Woman but i don't find myself on the boards posting about it. Weridly in every area thread you see people supposedly dislike posting in it

Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    There are a few people who weren't sure until they tried the first issue (but a lot seemed to have liked it), although for the most part it was like this within hours of the announcement, which was quite a bit of fun on the boards.
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART

I could be wrong, of course, but I do not care to slog through and check. Then again, most of these exclusives seem to come to CBR rather than Comicvine or other places from what I've seen.
    That may be, but that's because this is more of a fringe title. Avengers is going to sell one way or the other, as long as people know it's on the stands.

Avengers Arena, though, needs more PR to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    I love that Marvel's giving all of the second arcs some big time promotion. One notable absence though, no Red She-Hulk.
    Or Dark Avengers, or Avengers, Avengers Assemble, etc. . You are assuming they are done with these promotions, when the likely aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by donuil23 View Post
    Ummm. Spoiler Alert???
    He in the next issue, so he probably isn't dead.
    Last edited by Venom Melendez; 01-10-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Quite true on several points, I still find it odd that, at least from my perspective, there's proportionally more such 'updates' for this title than there are for things like the core avengers titles.
    That's probably just your perception. Besides Arena, Fearless Defenders, Morbius and UXF also got articles/interviews this week on CBR. Then there are all of the other teasers they dropped this week. It could also be that CBR sees how many hits Avengers Arena threads get and seeks interviews from the creators.
    Last edited by BrotherUnitNo_4; 01-10-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    That's probably just your perception. Besides Arena, Fearless Defenders, Morbius and UXF also got articles/interviews this week on CBR. Then there are all of the other teasers they dropped this week. It could also be that CBR sees how many hits Avengers Arena threads get and seeks interviews from the creators.
    I was talking about primarily since the start of Marvel NOW! but your proposed solutions are equally likely until someone pins its down and looks it over.
    Last edited by Majin Gojira; 01-10-2013 at 02:06 PM.