View Poll Results: What should win BEST PICTURE?

Voters
40. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Amour

2 5.00%
  • Argo

6 15.00%
  • Beasts of the Southern Wind

2 5.00%
  • Django Unchained

6 15.00%
  • les Miserables

6 15.00%
  • Lincoln

5 12.50%
  • Life of Pi

6 15.00%
  • Silver Lining Handbook

6 15.00%
  • Zero Dark Thirty

1 2.50%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Okay, so far I've seen:
    • les Miserables. Les Terribles more like. UGH! Awful! Anne Hathaway's "I Dream A Dream..." was the only high point; beautifully shot, well acted. It was the only time the "sing/speak" choice worked in the film.
    • Life of Pi. Gorgeous! So far (of the ones I've seen) it gets my vote (it won't win, but I would want it to). Ang Lee is a genius; only he could bring the "unfilmable" film to life.
    • Argo. Meh. It was good, very funny, Alan Arkin stole his scenes... but I didn't leave thinking "wow!" A solid film, yes. A great film... no.

Seeing Lincoln this weekend (though I don't want to), Django Unchained on Wednesday (EX-CI-TED!), and then Zero Dark Thirty the following weekend. And with that I've covered most of the Oscar runners (I'm sorry, Amour is not going to win; so I'm skipping it). Will try and rent Silver Lining Handbook and Beasts of the Southern Wind on DVD before the Oscars (though "Beasts..." won't win, but I want to see it). So far... I prefered Skyfall to all but Life of Pi. Robbed! ROBBED, I SAY!!!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-31-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

BANNED

Got dragged (or drugged, if you will) into seeing "Silver Linings Playdate" the other day and man, this is why the Oscars have no cred. Brad had the emotional range of a coma victim, Jen was pretty much all scowl, although Deniro was almost worth the price of a tiny portion of the admission.

If there had been a scene with a YouTube kitten driving a car whilst being pursued by an alien battlecruiser, this would have been a much better movie. It's probably the shortest movie I've seen of the heralded flix, but I want that hour and 40 minutes back.
    Last edited by Alan Smithee; 02-01-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
    If there had been a scene with a YouTube kitten driving a car whilst being pursued by an alien battlecruiser, this would have been a much better movie.
    Let's be fair: this applies to most movies.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Got dragged (or drugged, if you will) into seeing "Silver Linings Playdate" the other day and man, this is why the Oscars have no cred. Brad had the emotional range of a coma victim, Jen was pretty much all scowl, although Deniro was almost worth the price of a tiny portion of the admission.

If there had been a scene with a YouTube kitten driving a car whilst being pursued by an alien battlecruiser, this would have been a much better movie. It's probably the shortest movie I've seen of the heralded flix, but I want that hour and 40 minutes back.
    Thats just an idiotic comment really. A film that you personally didnt like but is loved by loads and critically acclaimed of course should be up for awards. They arent based on your personal preferences. Also first person I have heard who hated Bradley Cooper and JLaw. They were fantastic in it I thought, bringing weird and wonderful characters to life. And "all scowl" isnt really a complaint about her just a comment on her character which is true.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development

BANNED

dreaded double post.....
    Last edited by Alan Smithee; 02-02-2013 at 02:10 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Walsh06 View Post
    Thats just an idiotic comment really. A film that you personally didnt like but is loved by loads and critically acclaimed of course should be up for awards. They arent based on your personal preferences. Also first person I have heard who hated Bradley Cooper and JLaw. They were fantastic in it I thought, bringing weird and wonderful characters to life. And "all scowl" isnt really a complaint about her just a comment on her character which is true.
    I'm the first person to complain about Brad and Jen? Does this make me eligible for the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award? I'm feeling lucky. And what part did Jude Law play? Was he the guy in the shower who made Brad decide on "wan" as his only character trait? I love that people love this movie. It makes for a beautifully diverse world where the differently-abled can co-exist in peaceful harmony.

Admit it, though: Cat behind wheel of Hyundai, Chitauri skysurfer in pursuit, droll comment by Deniro--and suddenly "Chinatown" looks like a cartoon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Let's be fair: this applies to most movies.

Will you Canadians please do the world a favor and conquer it so we can have an era of common sense on a global scale?

pointless comment
    ummm....... why are you replying to me??
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Walsh06 View Post
    ummm....... why are you replying to me??

Whatever you're quoting under my username -- really, just "pointless comment?--didn't come from me. I responded twice by accident and deleted the redundant post, but I don't do two-word rebuttals. Thanks for asking, though.

I was summing it up in my own words. Your post was nonsense so I was wondering why you replied to me with it. I was trying to have a discussion on it but you clearly had no intention of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    Also pretty sure "The Help" works the other way around
    I'm also not seeing how Dances with Wolves fits into this. Other then giving them guns to fight a battle against another tribe, Kevin Coster's character doesn't exactly help them with anything, like Sandra Bullock's character did in the Blind Side. While, I can see from a story perspective why you could count this, I really don't like Schindler's List being compare with movies like Avatar.

Well I picked Django Unchained, heres why..... QT he for once made a movie that put him in the limelight since Pulp Fiction, which had a shot at winning, so for him to get notice again I'd like to see him get the gold for a movie that really stands out from the others, other then Life of Pi which was also one that doesn't fit the mold of the year in year out typical winners

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidwolfdog View Post
    Well I picked Django Unchained, heres why..... QT he for once made a movie that put him in the limelight since Pulp Fiction, which had a shot at winning, so for him to get notice again I'd like to see him get the gold for a movie that really stands out from the others, other then Life of Pi which was also one that doesn't fit the mold of the year in year out typical winners
    We all want QT to get the Oscar but the problem is that his films aren't artsy enough to those responsible in handing out the award.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

From the sounds of things Argo could give Life of Pi a run of it's money when it comes to Best Picture.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Will you Canadians please do the world a favor and conquer it so we can have an era of common sense on a global scale?
    Sorry: we'd love to help, but to conquer the world you kind of have to leave "common" sense behind, thus defeating the purpose in this case. Total catch-22 (say: did that film win an Oscar? that'd be awesome serendipity).
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...