View Poll Results: What should win BEST PICTURE?

Voters
40. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Amour

2 5.00%
  • Argo

6 15.00%
  • Beasts of the Southern Wind

2 5.00%
  • Django Unchained

6 15.00%
  • les Miserables

6 15.00%
  • Lincoln

5 12.50%
  • Life of Pi

6 15.00%
  • Silver Lining Handbook

6 15.00%
  • Zero Dark Thirty

1 2.50%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Walsh06 View Post
    I don't care if the globes aren't considered great. The fact that Argo and Ben beat Lincoln was just fantastic.
    Argo was surprisingly good, emotionally strong and pretty real film. I was impressed. Film like this is harder to make it right than big epos about historical person.

I didnt plan to see Argo and was convinced by my cousin and im glad i saw it. I hope to see it and films like Amour being awarded in awards more than just another film winning because of famous historical person. Daniel Day-Lewis is great but i have no interest in seeing Lincoln.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Seeing Life of Pi tonight for my birthday. SOOOOOO EXCITED!!! I love Ang Lee's work; and this looks gorgeous!

I wouldn't say that's completely true. Eminem, Annie Lennox, Elton John and Three 6 Mafia all won Best Song.
    Happy Birthday, and I hope you like it!

Are you seeing it in 3D? Have you read the book?

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by insidemyhead View Post
    Happy Birthday, and I hope you like it!
    Thank-you.

LIFE OF PI (2012)
    What a beautiful film. Just stunning. Funny, moving, powerful. I really have so much praise for it. There are so many great moments that I genuinely let out a "wow" or "ohhh" (I won't spoil them). And how it can shift from something so beautiful, to tragedy in a blink of an eye. I think Suraj Sharma did a fine job in such a difficult lead role; though I found myself less moved by him crying than I could have been (with a stronger actor). I am very sad Irrfan Khan ONCE AGAIN failed to bag any major nominations for his excellent low-key performance (also over-looked for Slumdog Millionaire (2008)); though Best Supporting Actor was a tough category to get in this year (even Leo failed to do it). I would love it to win Best Director (could this be the dark horse to topple Spielberg?) and Best Adapted Screenplay (as I said... "unfilmable"); but I'm mostly hoping it gets a clean sweep in Editing, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, and Visual Effects. WHY was it not up for Best Make-up? Pi's water-logged damaged skin looked very real.
    ~ rating: 4 out of 5 [grade: A-]

Quote Originally Posted by insidemyhead View Post
    Are you seeing it in 3D? Have you read the book?
    Yes, I saw it in 3D; and no; I hadn't read the book (though I do own it... one of those "been meaning to" things)

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    36Mafia won over Dolly Parton's fantastic song travelin' through
    Elton John also lost to the better Elton John that year. Circle of Life > Can you feel the love tonight also Madonna had a great original song that year, I'll Remember from With Honors and that got shut out.
    Lose Yourself actually lost to Bono at the GG's
    Based on Felicity Huffman's lack of Oscar win for her beautiful performance, I can only assume too few in the Academy even saw Transamerica (2005).

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    So Three Six Mafia and Elton John are pretentious?
    Why can't someone use that word the right fucking way?
    Actually, Three 6 Mafia and Elton John were brought up by me in response to Siddon saying "the Oscars always stick it to musicians". No-one called them pretentious.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-17-2013 at 03:01 AM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

So over that the Globes, Daniel Day Lewis beat J. Phoenix's performance for the Master. Really? I call bull. Has to be politics going on.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    So over that the Globes, Daniel Day Lewis beat J. Phoenix's performance for the Master. Really? I call bull. Has to be politics going on.
    I still think Phoenix will clinch it; will they really give Daniel Day-Lewis a third Oscar so soon (Meryl waiting 20 years for her, and Jack 15 years).
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

You mean, if some thinks one of the greatest actors of all time gave the best performance of the year...it's gotta be politics? Since DDL has two already, and it's not really a Hollywood insider, politics it's actually against him.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    You mean, if some thinks one of the greatest actors of all time gave the best performance of the year...it's gotta be politics? Since DDL has two already, and it's not really a Hollywood insider, politics it's actually against him.
    It wouldn't be the first time a Spielberg movie got lots of nominations and didn't win a single prize. the Color Purple (1985) was nominated for 11 Oscars; and didn't win a single one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Actually, Three 6 Mafia and Elton John were brought up by me in response to Siddon saying "the Oscars always stick it to musicians". No-one called them pretentious.
    He said they always go with the most pretentious artists, so I was just baffled by that.

Award shows are always political.

However, placing aside politics, Day-Lewis is a much, much, much better actor than Phoenix, so this is not surprising.

Finally found the oscar snub and Im quite annoyed by it too. The impossible should be up for multiple awards this year instead of just actress. Definitely film, sound editing and various sound ones, cinematography, screenplay and most importantly best supporting actor for Tom holland. He was outstanding as Lucas in it.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Award shows are always political.

However, placing aside politics, Day-Lewis is a much, much, much better actor than Phoenix, so this is not surprising.
    Phoenix's performances in The Master was much stronger IMO than DDL's performance as Lincoln. I'm sorry, even as someone who prefers DDL in general, Phoenix was snubbed.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Banking on Life of Pi walking away with Best Picture. Especially given the amount of praise it's been getting.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walsh06 View Post
    Finally found the oscar snub and Im quite annoyed by it too. The impossible should be up for multiple awards this year instead of just actress. Definitely film, sound editing and various sound ones, cinematography, screenplay and most importantly best supporting actor for Tom holland. He was outstanding as Lucas in it.
    Holland was great, but he was leading (no character appears in the movie as much as he did), which hurt his chances- the Academy likes little children, but not teenagers.

Phoenix's performances in The Master was much stronger IMO than DDL's performance as Lincoln. I'm sorry, even as someone who prefers DDL in general, Phoenix was snubbed.
    Phoenix was nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Banking on Life of Pi walking away with Best Picture. Especially given the amount of praise it's been getting.
    It has a chance- it's the movie that has made more money and foreign voters might dislike a perceived too "patriotic" attitude in films like Argo or Lincoln.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

I just saw Zero Dark Thirty. It was very good, but I doubt it will get Best Picture. That seems to be Lincoln or Pi's to lose.
    But Jessica Chastain has to be a lock for Best Actress. Anyone who doesn't vote for her gets put in the box...
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

Ya after I posted it I realised they registered him as lead instead of supporting. I kind of just assumed he was supporting but it does make sense. Its a pity as he was outstanding. Theres still no excuse for the others.

And I dont understand this love for Life of Pi. I mean I did enjoy it but it being favourite doesnt seem right to me. I havent seen amour but its bottom of my list from the other 8.

And for chastain she was good but Id stick with Jennifer Lawrence. although Quvenzhane wallis was pretty damn class.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development