View Poll Results: Who is the better Thor Artist

Voters
47. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • ESAD RIBIC

29 61.70%
  • OLIVIER COIPEL

18 38.30%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

Both of them draw a great Thor. Coipel draws a more divine and regal Thor, whereas Ribic draws more of a raw warrior Thor.

I think Coipel is getting jobbed a bit by the coloring. I've seen his Thor stuff penciled and it looks incredible, but it loses a lot of detail once it's colored.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

Quote Originally Posted by DeadXMan View Post
    Jack Kirby
    Quoted for truth.
    Daredevil, Hawkguy, Secret Avengers, Black Widow, Moon Knight, Magneto, Punisher, Wonder Woman, The Wake, Batman, Velvet, Jupiter's Legacy, Black Science,Starlight and Zero.

Ribić's. It gives more ethereal and fantasy feel. Smokey. I believe he's a Norse god when I see him.
    Coipel's is just overgrown jock with a broken nose.

BANNED

They are both pretty damn good.

But in this case I'm gonna have to say Esad based on the work he has been putting out latley on Thor: God of Thunder.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

I think Coipel's looks more godly, and Ribic's just looks like a normal guy. And many of Ribic's poses look horribly awkward.

And I don't like the painted art. I want it to stay out of "my" comic books.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I like Coipel a lot, but after reading the current Thor I find that Ribic's Thor is becoming iconic for me, and totally defining my idea of the character.
    "That's the thing about the Phoenix. There always has to be destruction... Before rebirth. " - Scott Summers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    Ribic is a perfectly acceptable cover artist, but I find his sequential interior art to be sorely lacking. I think the fact that his work is painted covers up for some of his flaws as a storyteller.
    where has his panel by panel story telling failed you if i may ask? the only time i think his worked failed me like that was in the 3-4 issues of Uncanny X-force he did interiors for, and it was the colorist fault not his, the colors where toooo similar to each other, and everything blended togethor

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    And I don't like the painted art. I want it to stay out of "my" comic books.
    to both of you at least in regards to Thor: God of Thunder, ONLY the covers are painted, the interiors where normal comic styles illustrated

BANNED

Even during JMS's Run, i thought Marko Dejurdivic was superior to coipel, just cant get past his terrible faces/heads
    he sometimes draws good female faces, but his males Ugh

Coipel. I don't care for Ribic's painted style, though the pic at the top looks nice.

I like them both, but I prefer Coipel. Ribic's Thor looks a bit too much like a brute.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Coipel. I don't care for Ribic's painted style, though the pic at the top looks nice.
    All his work looks beautiful like that picture.

Ribic. On pretty much any other book that both have drawn, I'd probably go with Coipel, but as someone else once put it, "Coipel's Thor looks like Brian Urlacher in a blonde wig."

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Default ROFL, Urlacher

Ribic's Thor is much more a man of action, if less "godlike." I'm very grateful that between November and now, he's knocked out 4 issues.

This reminds me of Pierce Brosnan vs Daniel Craig

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    Ribic's Thor is much more a man of action, if less "godlike." I'm very grateful that between November and now, he's knocked out 4 issues.
    What worries me about that is if the work schedule will force them to have a fill-in artist soon. I would much rather have one issue a month and ONLY Ribic on the comic, but I guess $3.99 a month from a comic isn't enough for Marvel.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title