View Poll Results: Rate Superior Spider-Man #1

Voters
77. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Didn't like ASM #700 but liked SSM #1

14 18.18%
  • Liked ASM #700 but disliked SSM #1

3 3.90%
  • Liked them both! Can't wait for more!

41 53.25%
  • Thumbs down on both!

19 24.68%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I gave Superior Spider-Man a thumbs up, until the last page where it made me completely lose interest.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I suppose we could do another, more typical poll in which we grade SSM #1 A to F. But I thought the reveal in SSM #1 deserved a side-by-side comparison to ASM #700----how did you feel about it in relation to ASM #700, Raph? That's sort of what I was going for in this poll.
    Yeah, I guess I can see where you were going with things. But it kinda makes the options limited for me.

As far as how I felt about it comparatively, I thought the revelation in SSM somewhat undermined 700's ending a bit honestly. It was revealed too soon in my honest thoughts., making 700's death seem much more like a fake shock death to rile everyone up.

I also knew almost exactly what was coming at the end of SSM, so I suppose my lack of surprise kinda left me feeling, "meh" when I finally came to it, you know?

So overall, I liked ASM #700, except the ending due to how Peter "died", while I liked SSM #1, except the ending due to how Peter's "Ghost" was revealed too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    Yeah, I guess I can see where you were going with things. But it kinda makes the options limited for me.

As far as how I felt about it comparatively, I thought the revelation in SSM somewhat undermined 700's ending a bit honestly. It was revealed too soon in my honest thoughts., making 700's death seem much more like a fake shock death to rile everyone up.

I also knew almost exactly what was coming at the end of SSM, so I suppose my lack of surprise kinda left me feeling, "meh" when I finally came to it, you know?

So overall, I liked ASM #700, except the ending due to how Peter "died", while I liked SSM #1, except the ending due to how Peter's "Ghost" was revealed too soon.
    I can understand both those feelings. Honestly? Maybe it's just because I am older than the average fan here and I lived (as an adult) through the "death of Superman" and Bane cripples Bruce Batman days and so many fake-outs and temporary replacements since then but.....the endings of both issues didn't ruin the enjoyment of the stories for me. Both endings were guessed at but not just me but many on these boards but, as I said, that doesn't matter if a tale is told well and I thought Slott is in mid-season form right now so I am digging the ride. Hopefully, you will enjoy what he has in store the rest of the way now that the table is set and we know Peter's new (for now) status quo.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Superior was Amazing
    Amazing was... well... inferior

Didn't read #700 so I can't really vote, but on a numerical scale I'd give Superior #1 an 8/10.

Wasn't insanely fond of 'ghost' Peter at the end but the whole rest of the book was fantastic.

Yup!! Did you get any variant covers? My LCS did not have any (and the other LCS near me was sold clean out by 12noon yesterday of all issues!) but I had to order the Skottie Young variant from Ebay for $8!
    Yeah, I got all eight covers. I wasn't such a huge fan of the Quesada covers though, so I put them up on ebay.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

I can understand both those feelings. Honestly? Maybe it's just because I am older than the average fan here and I lived (as an adult) through the "death of Superman" and Bane cripples Bruce Batman days and so many fake-outs and temporary replacements since then but.....the endings of both issues didn't ruin the enjoyment of the stories for me. Both endings were guessed at but not just me but many on these boards but, as I said, that doesn't matter if a tale is told well and I thought Slott is in mid-season form right now so I am digging the ride. Hopefully, you will enjoy what he has in store the rest of the way now that the table is set and we know Peter's new (for now) status quo.

Yeah, I've been through those as well, and not too long ago re-read Knightfall funny enough, so yeah, it's nothing about being new to it for me. I think I'm more just not overly surprised by this particular development.

But like I said in that other topic with you, I'm here for now, and I'm interested in how Slott will handle things going forward.

Yup!! Did you get any variant covers? My LCS did not have any (and the other LCS near me was sold clean out by 12noon yesterday of all issues!) but I had to order the Skottie Young variant from Ebay for $8!
    I got lucky and got both Quesada variants from my LCS. I asked about the 1:150 last week and he held it for me and then gave me a great deal on the 1:100. I'll probably end up trading the 1:100 for some back issues. Lots of holes to fill in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    Yeah, I got all eight covers. I wasn't such a huge fan of the Quesada covers though, so I put them up on ebay.
    I wanted the Camuncoli variant but haven't seen it anywhere yet; do you know what price that is going for?
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Seems I'm one of the two so far who enjoyed ASM #700 but didn't like SSM #1. Amazing was a bit sad, but the story played out very well, had me legitimately interested in how Superior would unfold, and had me totally okay with Peter being out of the picture for a while. All the worse that Superior was a big step backwards: Otto was already heading back to villain territory, his dialogue was downright painful to read, and that last page showed just how little faith Marvel and Slott have that Superior has any chance of sticking: it came across as a cheap ploy to hold onto fans of Peter, not the must-read twist they seem to want it to be. A shame, because the series showed promise, only to promptly throw it out within an issue. (Worth saying that both Ramos and Stegman were great on art; a shame Stegman's art got stuck with such lousy writing.)

I didn't enjoy SSM1, I only liked the MJ scenes.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

I just tend to think SSM1 represents a hook that's well executed whereas ASM700 wasn't.

ASM 700 gives us a Peter Parker who not only loses but is pretty chill about it and has more faith in his last ditch effort than he probably should. The Peter Parker I know would have promised to find a way back in ASM 700. Ock's vow to do right by Peter and his family doesn't make a lot of sense except in the context of SSM1. It felt both hokey and confusing.

Whereas SSM1 gave us a Peter who's going to fight to get his life back.

Also, I think we'd have been better served if the Heaven scene had somehow fallen between Peter's death and his return.

At any rate, SSM1 rocked, which is probably better for the book than the inverse.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I just tend to think SSM1 represents a hook that's well executed whereas ASM700 wasn't.

ASM 700 gives us a Peter Parker who not only loses but is pretty chill about it and has more faith in his last ditch effort than he probably should. The Peter Parker I know would have promised to find a way back in ASM 700. Ock's vow to do right by Peter and his family doesn't make a lot of sense except in the context of SSM1. It felt both hokey and confusing.

Whereas SSM1 gave us a Peter who's going to fight to get his life back.

Also, I think we'd have been better served if the Heaven scene had somehow fallen between Peter's death and his return.

At any rate, SSM1 rocked, which is probably better for the book than the inverse.
    Even though I enjoyed #700 more than you did, you bring up salient points (especially the highlighted). I guess, with the benefit of hindsight, Marvel wanted the hoopla/outrage/sturm und drang to set the stage for SSM #1. And, yes, you are on point about it being fortunate that we didn't love #700 and then have SSM #1 found wanting.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Even though I enjoyed #700 more than you did, you bring up salient points (especially the highlighted). I guess, with the benefit of hindsight, Marvel wanted the hoopla/outrage/sturm und drang to set the stage for SSM #1. And, yes, you are on point about it being fortunate that we didn't love #700 and then have SSM #1 found wanting.
    I think Marvel did about as great as you can possibly do from a marketing standpoint. Their strategy was the equivalent of giving Superior Spider-Man the post Super-Bowl spot--and since SSM1 delivered, I think the momentum will continue for the forseeable future.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

I wanted the Camuncoli variant but haven't seen it anywhere yet; do you know what price that is going for?
    Less than $40 from what I've seen.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC