- Died in your Arms Tonight
    - One Moment in Time
    - Big Time
    - Matters of Life and Death
    - The Fantastic Spider-Man
    - Spider-Island
    - Spider-Man/Black Cat: The Evil that Men do

Total: 94

Amazing #368-373 - Invasion Of the Spider Slayers. Awesome Bagley art and some fun to be had with the various crappy robots and Peter's parents hanging about. I'd love some more singles from this era, may hunt them down soon enough. I think, between floppies and trades, I'm only missing 25 between #300 and #400.

Anyway, 169 total; also read Superior #3 today. Best issue yet and the one that's filled me with hope for the series the most.

Superior Spider-Man #2: Solid standalone exploring Mary Jane's relationship with Spider-Men.
    7/10

Superior Spider-Man #3: A Superior Spider-Man issue that may appear on "Best of" lists in its own right.
    9/10

Spider-Man/ Doctor Octopus: Negative Exposure #1-5: Great standalone mini-series by BKV. His master manipulator take on Doc Ock is fantastic, and I also like the take on the Marvel Universe through the eyes of others.
    9/10

Ultimate Spider-Man #19-20: Fantastic. Things get bad for Miles's dad. And then Venom shows up. Great examples of a young superhero out of his league.
    9/10

Venom #31: This may as well be Cullenn Bunn's first issue. Hell, that might have been an improvement. Fun new beginning for the Flash Thompson Venom in Philadelphia. I especially like the debut of Mother Superior.
    8/10

Spider-Man Issue Count: 44 issues.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

I figure I'll read the Lee/ Ditko Amazing Spider-Man, and Untold Tales of Spider-Man in the order in which the stories are set, before proceeding with Lee/ Romita's Amazing Spider-Man.

And there are a few other Untold tales.
    Webspinners #7-9 is set right before Peter's graduation, so that's sometime around Amazing Spider-Man #25-28.
    Webspinners #1-3 is set between Amazing Spider-Man #38 and #39.
    There are two mini-series in which early stories are retold: Chapter One and Blue. One of those minis is much better than the other.

Is there anything I'm forgetting?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Read the World's Greatest Super Hero trade today collecting last summer's Point One issues which was ups and downs but worth a buy, and the ten issues of Avenging that make up the first two trades (so ignoring #6, #8 and #11). New favourite series right there. SO much fun.

Mets, your plan is something I'd like to do if I'd not read so many of those issues so recently. Maybe in the 500 For '14!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets;16589342[B
    Ultimate Spider-Man #19-20: [/B]Fantastic. Things get bad for Miles's dad. And then Venom shows up. Great examples of a young superhero out of his league.
    I read #19 recently and totally agree: Fantastic!

Also, I have been slowly rereading Amazing Spider-man from the beginning. School is really taking away from my Spidey reading time.

Amazing Fantasy #15-18
    Amazing Spider-man #1-7, 682-687, 695-699, 699.1, 700
    Marvel Knights Spider-man #1-12
    Spider-man: Ends of the Earth #1
    Spider-men #1-5
    Ultimate Comics: Spider-man #16, 16.1, 17-19
    Untold Tales of Spider-man #1-25, 96' and 97' Annuals
    Untold Tales of Spider-man: Strange Encounter
    The backup Untold Tales of Spider-man story from Amazing Spider-man Annual #37(not including in count)

Total: 76

Fear Itself: Spidey #1-3
    Avenging #6
    Superior #3
    Grim Hunt premiere edition which ASM 634-637, Gauntlet Origins: Kraven, Loose Ends, and a Prologue

New Total 26
    All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day."
    -Joker

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol 1. #7-14

Total: 34
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Spider-Man #24: Mostly mediocre one-shot by Mackie, which sets up later arcs. Doppleganger and Demogoblin both recur in Maximum Carnage. "Beware the Rage of a Desperate Man" features the return of Macendale. In retrospect it's remarkable how often Mackie featured the Macendale Hobgoblin.
    5/10

Captain America #137-138: Having read the preceding years worth of Cap stories, this seems to be proof that Spidey makes everything better. His presence livens up the Cap books at the tail end of Stan Lee's run as Cap was teaming up with Falcon and moping on about being a relic.
    8/10

Amazing Spider-Man #1-3: The first two issues are better than I remember. This early Peter Parker is a different type of superhero, a guy who considers the possibility he'll be the villain and who just wants to support his Aunt May. The third issue, with the first appearance of Doc Ock, was just as good as I remember.
    ASM #1: 9/10. ASM #2: 8/10. ASM #3: 9/10.

Strange Tales Annual 2: I read this in The Essential Human Torch, although it wasn't preserved very well. It's a fun enough early team-up between Spidey and the Torch, although a bit derivative since Spidey (who had only been in about four issues of his own book) had already been framed.
    7/10

Strange Tales #115: The other reason for Spider-Man fans to pick up The Essential Human Torch (aside from the first appearances of the Beetle and Paste-Pot Pete.) Lee and Ayers play up on the Torch/ Spidey rivalry, when Johnny decides to tackle an escaped Sandman. Enjoyable for what it says about him and how unusual the Marvel Universe is. This marks the first appearance of a Spider-Man villain in anyone else's title, and also leads to Sandman becoming a Fantastic Four foe, to the extent that Spidey considers him more of Torch's archenemy than his in Marvel Team-Up #1. This issue also includes the origin of Lee/ Ditko's other superhero Doctor Strange, a solid tale of a flawed man deciding to be a hero. Ditko's gritty fantasy art is exceptional.
    7/10

Spider-Man Issue Count: 52
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Superior Spider-Man #3 This is getting better and better.

Untold Tales of Spider-Man 1-15 I am loving these tales of Peter's early days as Spidey. This is just fun stuff. Since this series began right in the middle of the Clone Saga, the letters pages contain many readers blasting the core titles and swearing Spidey off forever, much like what you hear currently. I wonder how many of the current whiners are the same people from all those years ago?

Total 29

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Spider-Man #24: Mostly mediocre one-shot by Mackie, which sets up later arcs. Doppleganger and Demogoblin both recur in Maximum Carnage. "Beware the Rage of a Desperate Man" features the return of Macendale. In retrospect it's remarkable how often Mackie featured the Macendale Hobgoblin.
    Picked this up at a young age for the Bagley cover and felt cheated by what was inside.
    Last edited by Magnum_Valentino; 02-10-2013 at 07:13 PM.

I just recently re-read all of the Ultimate Spider-Man issues. So, that brings my total to 160. Going to re-read the Lee/Ditko era of the Amazing Spider-Man next. Then, I got some serious collecting to do to read the rest of what I want.
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Darman456 View Post
    I just recently re-read all of the Ultimate Spider-Man issues. So, that brings my total to 160. Going to re-read the Lee/Ditko era of the Amazing Spider-Man next. Then, I got some serious collecting to do to read the rest of what I want.
    Cool. Any stories you really liked? And any stories you didn't care for?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Cool. Any stories you really liked? And any stories you didn't care for?
    The early stuff was really fantastic. Pretty much enjoyed all of it through the Hollywood arc. I found Carnage and the Superstars (combination of two-parters and one-shots) to slow things down only to pick back up. The Hobgoblin arc was actually much better than I remember and is actually my favorite of all the arcs. Up until the Knights arc, the stories are on par, for me, with the first nine arcs. Knights slowed things down again and it only fastened the detoriation of interest I had in USM when Bagley left. Still, it was still enjoyable as the series as it was was really fun. After the relaunch, things got pretty "meh". I was just going through the stories, not caring much, until I got to the training. It only got better, to the point of a good conclusion in Death of Spider-Man. I read Fallout and found that greatly emotional and really good. But I couldn't bring myself to pick up any of Miles' stuff since I'm a huge Peter fanboy and the first arc I bought in regular form (usually I trade wait) failed to capture my interest. So, yeah.
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"With great power comes great responsibility."

I'm on a 90s blitz right now. Just read the whole clone saga/Ben Reilly books and all of Spectacular up to 253 (where the trades pick up again) and am now reading Amazing from 419. This is an era I knew little about and I have to say that it is very good. DeMatteis here may even be better than his run with Buscema and its nice to be discovering new stories with Peter and MJ together. I love the way they are written here and the supporting cast have been used perfectly. The Flash scenes are really emotional.

I can't wait to finish this era, but at the same time I don't want it to end