Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Daredevil #22. Laugh out loud funny. Great issue. Could do with more Superior Spidey in other books.

ASM #658-662 (The Fantastic Spider-Man). Decent enough. Blogged about/ reviewed it at my blog

50. A tenth of the way there!

Quote Originally Posted by chicainery View Post
    I thought it would be cool to list the Spider-man books I've read so far:

Amazing Fantasy #16-18
    Amazing Spider-man #682-687, 695-699, 699.1, 700
    Marvel Knights Spider-man #1-12

Spider-man: Ends of the Earth #1
    Ultimate Comics: Spider-man #16, 16.1, 17-18
    Untold Tales of Spider-man #1-25, 96' and 97' Annuals
    Untold Tales of Spider-man: Strange Encounter
    The backup Untold Tales of Spider-man story from Amazing Spider-man Annual #37(not including in count)

Total: 62
    Amazing Fantasy #16-18
    Amazing Spider-man #682-687, 695-699, 699.1, 700
    Marvel Knights Spider-man #1-12
    Spider-man: Ends of the Earth #1
    Spider-men #1-5
    Ultimate Comics: Spider-man #16, 16.1, 17-18
    Untold Tales of Spider-man #1-25, 96' and 97' Annuals
    Untold Tales of Spider-man: Strange Encounter
    The backup Untold Tales of Spider-man story from Amazing Spider-man Annual #37(not including in count)

Add to this list: Spider-men #1-5. This was a really good crossover. The touching moments in issue #4 were outstanding. Loved it.

Total: 67

Also, I read the new Captain Marvel #1-5, which included an appearance by Spider-man in issue #1. I'm not counting this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    New Total: 22
    I bought a run of Fables off a guy so that has really slowed down my Spidey reading. I'm going to get going again soon. I thought I'd filled in my gaps from 150-present but I hadn't. I missed two issue by mistake. Thus once I get them I'll read from 150-200. Here is what I've read so far, it is mostly new stuff:

ASM 153
    Superior 1
    Avenging 16
    Daredevil 22
    Scarlet Spider 13
    USM 19

New Total: 28
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Daredevil 22 Avenging Spidey 16 Both fun reads
    Total: only 4
    Spectacular Spider-Man Annuals 4, 6 & 7 For some reason I really liked the story about Aunt May's old flame, Johnny Jerome, in #4. Issue 6 was ok, just a follow-up to the Ace character from the previous annual, and #7 was the honeymoon issue, which was just ok to me also.
    Web of Spider-Man Annuals 1,2,3, & 4 None of these really did much for me. Issue 3 is more of a Spidey handbook, which was probably handy at the time. Now it's just outdated. Issue 4 introduces Slug. The other two were average stories.

Total: 11

X-Men/Spider-Man #1-4 = A somewhat odd story that teams Kraven up with Sinister in an unlikely mixing of a distinctly X-Men villain and a distinctly Spider-Man villain. It didn't work that well for me. Honestly, though, its a clone story and those are a tough sell for me, typically. But the main thing that bothered me about this story was that it seemed very pointless.

X-Men #27 - First time the X-Men meet Spider-Man. Its just a page worth. They try to recruit him, but he says no, because he is not a team guy but prefers to remain a loner. Times have changed, haven't they?

X-Men #35 - First full X-Men story to feature Spider-Man, and it involves a misunderstanding that has them at odds with each other throughout most of the book. Mediocre story, fairly typical. Like many of the old X-Men stories, they call to mind just how refreshing the new X-Men really were when they came onto the scene. Spider-Man was easily the best thing about this story.

Total Spider-Man count: 26

Also, I read some more Ex Machina and Sandman Vol 2.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Spectacular Spider-Man Annuals 4, 6 & 7 For some reason I really liked the story about Aunt May's old flame, Johnny Jerome, in #4. Issue 6 was ok, just a follow-up to the Ace character from the previous annual, and #7 was the honeymoon issue, which was just ok to me also.
    Web of Spider-Man Annuals 1,2,3, & 4 None of these really did much for me. Issue 3 is more of a Spidey handbook, which was probably handy at the time. Now it's just outdated. Issue 4 introduces Slug. The other two were average stories.

Total: 11
    ASM Annual 22- No comment

Total: 12

Spider-Man: Blue

This really is the quintessential Spider-Man story. It has it all. Pete's friendship with Harry, his love for gwen, and his inability to juggle them all. I'm really satisfied each time I read it.

I think that I'm going to tackle the J. Michael Straczynski run next. Love that one!
    Last edited by PxlatdPanlPunchr; 01-28-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PxlatdPanlPunchr View Post
    Spider-Man: Blue

This really is the quintessential Spider-Man story. It has it all. Pete's friendship with Harry, his love for gwen, and his inability to juggle them all. I'm really satisfied each time I read it.
    What's the best format for this? I think it was released in oversized hardcover, but that was a few years before the Premiere Hardcover edition. Does any edition have extras the others don't?

I actually bought them when they came out monthly. I haven't done any research on any collected editions. Honestly, the story is so good that it probably wouldn't matter how you read it. That's my opinion anyway.

ASM #663-665 and Free Comic Book Day '11, The Return Of Anti-Venom. I really liked the Betty Brant issue, and I'm a big fan of Ant-Venom too. Would like to see more of him.

Also read Spider-Man/ Human Torch 1-5. There's something intrinsicly funny about the sight of Spidey in the Spider-Mobile. Forever. That will never make me laugh. It's just so goofy. Spider-Man driving a regular car would look funny enough, but driving a car that looks like him - the car looks like A PERSON - it's just comedy all the way. That's a great series, everyone should read it. Mandatory. Go now!

59 so far. Think I'll count Remender's Venom, because I'm starting that to coincide with Spider-Island, which I'm looking forward to reading again like I kid seeing his favourite blockbuster for the first time since the cinema.

Does Spider-Man tie-ins, crossovers, limited series, and spin-offs such as Venom, Spider-Girl, Scarlet Spider, and Avenging Spider-Man counts?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    So I'm doing a 1000 comics in 2013 on a different board. I'm having fun with it. Over in the "What Spidey Comics have you read lately" I pitched the idea. Some people seemed interested so I thought I'd throw out the idea. I decided 1000 might be a lot so 500 seemed like a good number. We can call ourselves the "500 Club" when we get there. If you want to go above and beyond that is fine.

How it works:
    • Read a Spidey comic and post the list of what you read here
    • Next time just quote yourself and add to the total
    • Because it is a discussion board, tell us what you thought of the issues
    • Anything with Spidey in it is fare game, but have some discretion. If it is a brief appearance don't count it. Use your best judgement
    • New issues count too, but clearly if that is all your doing you won't make it to "500 Club" Status

I'll post my total up until this point in the next post.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by pikaman206 View Post
    Does Spider-Man tie-ins, crossovers, limited series, and spin-offs such as Venom, Spider-Girl, Scarlet Spider, and Avenging Spider-Man counts?
    Yes. As do guest-starr appearances.

I'd say the one exception to spin-offs counting is The Punisher, as that is a series that has becomes its own franchise.

I'm not sure about the rules for team books with Spidey. Or team books with Spider-Man characters (IE- Venom on Secret Avengers, Sandman as a reserve Avenger.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Read Venom v.1 last night and Superior #2 just now. Reviewed Venom (which is a GREAT series) and am doing so now for Superior. In short - I like it, but it feels... off, to me. I'll keep reading but I'm itching for Pete's comeback.

65 to date

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Yes. As do guest-starr appearances.

I'd say the one exception to spin-offs counting is The Punisher, as that is a series that has becomes its own franchises.

I'm not sure about the rules for team books with Spidey. Or team books with Spider-Man characters (IE- Venom on Secret Avengers, Sandman as a reserve Avenger.)
    I don't think we need to be that strict. But if Spidey is just a background character then I don't really think it should count. Like I've said use your discretion. This shouldn't feel like a chore but be for fun.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!