Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I'm most dischuffed with this Fury. OK, she'll be reformed but given the New 52's fondness for darker-tinged heroes will likely retain a berserker side. Like Wonder Woman. Like Wonder Girl. How refreshing it would've been to have had a girl next door Donna type (though Robinson's Donna was very off in JLA), or some kind of weird throwback to the Golden Age Amazons, always inventing and philosophising, with great good humour.

I did a blog review of the issue, if anyone is really bored!
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 01-11-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: deleted reply to deleted post
    Comic bletherings by me at: http://dangermart.blogspot.com/

Hi Mart. Nice to see you (in an interweb sort of way).

And no, Mart, there is no room for non-berserker Amazons or girl next door types. This is the NU52. Edgy. Or something.

eta - Your "chicken in a basket" comment still makes me laugh. Funniest thing I've ever read in a review. But know, I can't see your name and not think "chicken in a basket."
    Last edited by americanwonder; 01-10-2013 at 06:32 AM.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    The narrative makes a point of going back-and-forth between Superman and Wonder Woman with both thinking about what they've lost. But no mention of a lost daughter? That doesn't sound like any mother I know.
    I'll probably end up agreeing with you about that if it turns out that Wonder Woman knew that she lost her daughter to Steppanwolf. But, if she thought, for example, thinks her infant died in the crib due to causes that had nothing to do with Apokolips, then, not so much. We'll see.

I'd say this is more the sad origin of Fury, not her fate. Her fate is going to lead her on a much different, more than likely much lighter path.

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    I'll probably end up agreeing with you about that if it turns out that Wonder Woman knew that she lost her daughter to Steppanwolf. But, if she thought, for example, thinks her infant died in the crib due to causes that had nothing to do with Apokolips, then, not so much. We'll see.
    Oh, just give in and agree with me NOW (Marvel says, NOW is all the rage). Sure, it can be painful to agree with me, but I know you want to. And you can always change your mind later and say, "I told you so."

Personally, I don't think Diana would need to know specifically that she lost her daughter to Steppanwolf for her to remember a lost daughter in a time like this. If she lost lil' Fury due to any type of 'men behaving baddly' situation (eg, kidnapping), I'd think that it would be prominantly in her mind any other time folks were behaving badly (eg, this war), especially when she's remembering what she's lost due to folks behaving badly.

In other words, she may not have even lost Fury to this particular war, but when she's remembering what she has lost due to these types of conflicts, I can't imagine her not thinking of Fury.
    - Longfellow

Veteran Member

Oh, just give in and agree with me NOW (Marvel says, NOW is all the rage). Sure, it can be painful to agree with me, but I know you want to. And you can always change your mind later and say, "I told you so."
    Hey, I actually enjoy the rare occasion (like the question of whether Wonder Woman needs a permanent secret ID) when we agree. So far, though, this ain't one of those times. Truthfully, I'll be a little surprised if we find out that Wonder Woman knew Steppanwolf had anything to do with her daughter. Since we know that Robinson intended all along to introduce the Fury, Wonder Woman's anger at the abduction, if she knew about it,would have been a significant omission from #1; and while it's true that mistakes happen, such an obvious mistake would be at least mildly surprising.

Personally, I don't think Diana would need to know specifically that she lost her daughter to Steppanwolf for her to remember a lost daughter in a time like this.
    I agree that she wouldn't need to, but without her knowing that, I don't think she had to--or at least, I don't think it had to be at the very forefront of her mind or in her few lines of dialogue.

If she lost lil' Fury due to any type of 'men behaving baddly' situation (eg, kidnapping), I'd think that it would be prominantly in her mind any other time folks were behaving badly (eg, this war), especially when she's remembering what she's lost due to folks behaving badly.
    What if, as far as she knew, she lost her infant to illness or accident, perhaps even in chidbirth? I wouldn't put it past Steppanwolf to corrupt a nurse or even come up with a fake corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight
    I'd say this is more the sad origin of Fury, not her fate. Her fate is going to lead her on a much different, more than likely much lighter path.
    Nicely said.
    Last edited by slvn; 01-10-2013 at 06:44 AM.

Hey, I actually enjoy the rare occasion (like the question of whether Wonder Woman needs a permanent secret ID) when we agree...
    Those times just confuse me, good thing they don't happen very often. ;)

... Truthfully, I'll be a little surprised if we find out that Wonder Woman knew Steppanwolf had anything to do with her daughter...
    I, too, doubt that WW knew Steppanwolf was directly involved. But when she's remembering people she's lost? Yeah, she's going to think of a lost daughter (her only child?). For instance, news stories of a shooting or tragic accident often remind parents of the child they've lost even when the news story has nothing to do with it.

What if, as far as she knew, she lost her infant to illness or accident, perhaps even in chidbirth? I wouldn't put it past Steppanwolf to corrupt a nurse or even come up with a fake corpse.
    This sounds more plausible (as an explanation for Diana wouldn't think of Fury in #1). But it also sounds more comic book convoluted (and not in a good way), imo. Points for imagination (you are a very creative thinker); but I'm still not buying into it.
    - Longfellow

Veteran Member

I, too, doubt that WW knew Steppanwolf was directly involved. But when she's remembering people she's lost?
    I don't think that in that speech she is just generally remembering people she's lost--I think she's specifically remembering people she has lost in this war, to the armies of Apokolips. Her daughter may always in her mind, but that doesn't mean she belongs in this speech.

Yeah, she's going to think of a lost daughter (her only child?). For instance, news stories of a shooting or tragic accident often remind parents of the child they've lost even when the news story has nothing to do with it.
    Right, but they don't necessarily discuss their earlier losses when discussing the current new story. And perhaps Batman is always thinking about the parents who were shot before his eyes when he was eight years old, but that doesn't mean he needs to include them explicitly in every utterance.

I don't think that in that speech she is just generally remembering people she's lost--I think she's specifically remembering people she has lost in this war, to the armies of Apokolips. Her daughter may always in her mind, but that doesn't mean she belongs in this speech.

Right, but they don't necessarily discuss their earlier losses when discussing the current new story. And perhaps Batman is always thinking about the parents who were shot before his eyes when he was eight years old, but that doesn't mean he needs to include them explicitly in every utterance.
    Did anybody mention her mother? I do not remember without rereading the issue, however, I am fairly certain that she didn't think about her mom either. What is she, chopped liver?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    Did anybody mention her mother? I do not remember without rereading the issue, however, I am fairly certain that she didn't think about her mom either. What is she, chopped liver?
    Yes. Yes, she is. On Earth 2, the previous Amazon queen pined for a daughter, and Athena answered her prayers, coming to her at dinner one night, taking her appetizer plate, and sculpting Hippolyta out of the chopped liver.
    Last edited by slvn; 01-10-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Yes. Yes, she is. On Earth 2, the previous Amazon queen pined for a daughter, and Athene answered her prayers, coming to her at dinner one night, taking her appetizer plate, and sculpting Hippolyta out of the chopped liver.
    Please refrain from answering like this without warning. I don't look so appealing with coffee spilling out of my nose!

Fury seems pretty boring to me. I want to see her smash crap with her fists more, I'm tired of her whip already. It does seem weird WW never brought her up but I guess they were trying to make this some big shock.

yes...THE Wonderman. RealWonderman's Avatar

I suppose we'll just have to see how it plays out. MAYBE this is all explained away by the writer in the upcoming issues.
    Are you sure that "by the grace of god" you survived? Maybe god was trying to GET you and missed??!!??
    Twitter: Ryan Klaus @RealWonderman

Plot Points and Possible Plot Holes Please :

*When did Steppenwolf and Diana get laid in order to give birth to this new Fury ?

*If Earth-2's Wonder Woman die five years ago how Fury grown up so fast and she get keep away from Diana or Paradise Island ?

*She wasn't supposed to be the daughter of Steve Trevor and therefore blonde too ? In case Steppenwolf's rape never happened.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Plot Points and Possible Plot Holes Please :

*When did Steppenwolf and Diana get laid in order to give birth to this new Fury ?

*If Earth-2's Wonder Woman die five years ago how Fury grown up so fast and she get keep away from Diana or Paradise Island ?

*She wasn't supposed to be the daughter of Steve Trevor and therefore blonde too ? In case Steppenwolf's rape never happened.
    You're getting ahead of yourself. We don't know how old she is, who the father was or how she was taken.

However after reading the issue again I think there is one note that should be addressed and it may answer a lot of questions. Stepenwolf says "My forces are still here, on Earth, those the world army haven't detained... They're scattered, running, hiding like cowards with no mind for me. All but one."
    He's talking about Fury and that means that she was in on the first battle. She's been on Earth, she was probably part of the invasion, how did she and Diana not run into each other? As I recall Diana only battled parademons, if you're going to invade wouldn't you send your most powerful fighter against theirs? Fury should have been going after Superman at least, if not Diana. Why hold her back? I think the answer to that would answer a lot of questions.