Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CBG, r.i.p.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Default CBG, r.i.p.

Just saw a post by Tony Isabella on the Alter Ego list noting that Krause Publications is shutting down Comic Buyers Guide, which has been around god knows how many years (around 40?). Can't say I'm particularly surprised, given how the page-count has plummeted over the last 3 or 4 years` (not to mention the rough waters the entire print publication industry has been sailing; my own employer's magazine went from bimonthly to quarterly a couple of years ago, & going online-only remains on the table), but I am saddened.

My acquaintance with the mag dates back only to, I think, 2005 or so, but it was a welcome arrival in my mailbox every month, most recently just a few days ago (#1699, which turns out to be the final issue).
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 01-09-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Just saw a post by Tony Isabella on the Alter Ego list noting that Krause Publications is shutting down Comic Buyers Guide, which has been around god knows how many years (around 40?). Can't say I'm particularly surprised, given how the page-count has plummeted over the last 3 or 4 years` (not to mention the rough waters the entire print publication industry has been sailing; my own employer's magazine went from bimonthly to quarterly a couple of years ago, & going online-only remains on the table), but I am saddened.

My acquaintance with the mag dates back only to, I think, 2005 or so, but it was a welcome arrival in my mailbox every month, most recently just a few days ago (#1699, which turns out to be the final issue).
    It lasted 42 years. I started reading CBG in the late 80's and through a good part of the 90's. It the era before the internet, it was my main source of information about comics and comics history. When budgets became tight, I decided I would rather read comics than about comics, so I let my subscription lapse, and hadn't read an issue since. Still sad to see the passing of a comics institution.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

As it happens, I'm about midway through that even as I type, shaxper.

(Also, I just noticed that I apparently screwed up my shift key in titling this thread; it should, of course, be "CBG, RIP." *sigh*)
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 01-09-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I haven't read it in years. But it's still sad to see it go. When I was in junior high and high school a buddy had a subscription to CBG and I had one to Amazing Heroes. We'd read each others copies. Between the advent of the internet and the fact that I have zero access to new comics I just never felt the need to pursue it recently.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

It at least out lasted Wizard...if it had to go down...it at least beat Wizard in terms of lasting as long. RIP CBG.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

I had a subscription for about ten years in the late 90s and early aughts. Rest in peace, indeed.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

I was subscribing to CBG back in the late 70s up to about 2005. Each week upon its arrival I pored thru it for the Peter David column, Hembeck page, the latest comic announcements and tons of ads for old comics. Great memories

I saw an ad for Alan Light's The Comic Buyer's Guide in a DC comic I think. Wow ! A newspaper about comics. I was 14 and a freshman in high school. My mom said to request a free copy to see what it's like. I did. A couple of months later I got a copy. God I was excited ! Weekly news, interviews, and ads. I read my copy cover to cover and immediately placed my subscription.

My copy would usually come on a Saturday. I would be antsy waiting to see if my copy came.

I saved my copies until, years later, my now ex-wife pleaded with me to get rid of them, so I did. Of course, I now regret it to some degree, though they took up a lot of room.

Pre-Internet it was a vital part of fandom. I kept my subscription up until I was about a year or so into the Internet, so, about 16 years or so.

The issues I've seen now are nice, but kind of expensive for what you get.

Also, what books Krause has put out are more general audience-oriented than fan oriented IMO. I always thought they should reprint the best of series of interviews, news releases, fan art, etc. I'd snap that up.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

I think I must be one of the last people to actually still have a subscription. I've been subscribing since the last 80s and never stopped. I have very fond memories of running to the mailbox once a week to get my newest issue. It hasn't been quite the same in recent years. I especially missed the weekly format, but I still very much enjoy the columns by PAD, Captain Comics, Mr Silver Age and the letters pages.
    Anyone remember the debate between PAD and Todd McFarlane in the early 90s? And the kick-ass George Perez illustration of Hulk punching Spawn through a brick wall after the debate?

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    The issues I've seen now are nice, but kind of expensive for what you get.
    At cover price, definitely. Cut-rate subs through various brokers were always available, though, for IIRC around $18-$25 a year. I think I bought my last one through Amazon.

(The same applies to Fangoria, as it happens, for which I otherwise wouldn't dream of paying cover price for. Or at least I wouldn't have until it pretty much increased exponentially in quality about a year or two ago under Chris Alexander's editorship.)

-- Reptisaurus!

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

So what takes its place? I've seen some of the CBGs and plenty WIZARDS and my brothers had about 5 issues of Behind The Comics Scene...
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    So what takes its place? I've seen some of the CBGs and plenty WIZARDS and my brothers had about 5 issues of Behind The Comics Scene...
    Well, I guess the interwebs takes it's place, but it just won't be the same. The reports say that Maggie Thompson and Brent (not going to try to spell his last name) will stay active in comics, but I'm not sure what that actually means.

They'll probably keep the website alive, I would think.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    They'll probably keep the website alive, I would think.
    I wish they would but, this is from their press release: "The www.CBGXtra.com site and its Facebook page will exist as an archived resource administered by Antique Trader."
    So if it's an "Archived resource", I don't think it will be updated anymore.