Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars, #1

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Like Number_5 said though, Vader would still surely recognize his own name. We aren't "supposed" to know the fact that he's stating his son's name, but to anyone buying these comics it's common knowledge and I doubt Wood is just going to presuppose we claim ignorance or ignore that fact.

The twist is that Vader at this point is still so far detached from that designation; he utters the name with such vitriol which suggests that we as readers are to take what we know from the movies and imbue it with more profundity. To be fair, Wood's narration is, "The word comes unbidden to his lips... and he has yet to understand what it means," but who is he kidding?
    Vader never knew he had a son. He obviously found out by ESB. This will probably include the story of how that happened. For now, he is thinking that it might be a code name for a fighter pilot. Maybe he thinks the Rebels know he was Anakin and are trying to make him physiologically crazy over who this Skywalker is. For all he knows, it's just a coincidence.

I loved this! This was classic Star Wars. Can't wait for issue #2! You got Han and Chewie going on an adventure, which I'm sure we will learn about next issue, Leia being a freaking badass! I already see a little bit of Jedi Leia popping in for a quick second. Always good to see Wedge. Love that guy. Vader was portrayed very well. Read it while listening to a bunch of Star Wars songs, from the Crawl, to Rebel Fleet to our dear Darth Vader's theme. Bring it on!

P.S. 2.99 plus a digital copy for free? THIS is the true meaning of free *coughmarvelcough* not 3.99 for no reason and throw in a digital code to excuse it.

And Marvel, if you get the rights to Star Wars and don't continue this series, or any Star Wars series coming out now, I will be incredibly pissed at you.

As they put it perfectly on the cover, classic characters, all-new Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by SediarSago View Post
    Vader never knew he had a son. He obviously found out by ESB. This will probably include the story of how that happened.

Vader finds out in ESB when he talks to the Emperor, so that story has already been done.

Got to be honest I only found out about this a few days ago and REALLY wasn't interested but at the comic store, I kept going back to it and ended up just grabbing a copy. Checking the cover out more and reading the little blurb on the inside when I was on the way home, I thought it might be decent. Then by the time I finished dinner I actually couldn't wait to read it.

I have to say I LOVED it, felt like my childhood rushing back to me, every sound effect, every voice, every character. I actually can't wait to get the next one now and this is coming from someone who hasn't really liked any of the other Star Wars related comics I've read. Love the fact that Leia is a bad ass too.

Yeah Vader didn't know about Padme and his kid/s, the Emperor told him that Padme died and I'm guessing Vader would've presumed his child died in utero. He probably is thinking that it must be a call sign or code name because of that, or of course this could be him having his first hint of a confirmation that Luke could be his son, from his feeling in a new hope. By the time of ESB he knows and wants to turn him to the dark side or KILL HIM!!!

I thought this was a good first issue. More set-up but a nice start. The art was outstanding. I enjoyed Vader's scene a lot. My thought about Vader by the time of ESB, even with the new interaction between him and Palpatine on the DVD, is that he knew the pilot's name was Luke Skywalker but wouldn't completely accept it until he has it confirmed by the Emperor. He might have strongly suspected that Luke was his son but he might have also thought that it was some kind of final trick by his own master, having Luke run around with his name. Vader had to have strongly suspected it was his son but he needed to find Luke before he could confirm it.

Crap, my lcs was out.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Wouah : I am not a Star wars fan, but after having read this thread, I think I'll buy this issue this afternoon.
    Avengers, New Av., Mighty Av., Secret Av., Uncanny Av., Young Av., Inhumanity, Thor God of Thunder, Wolverine.

..for whom the bell tolls The Frozen Reptile's Avatar

I loved it. I haven't enjoyed a number one issue this much since New 52 Aquaman.

Leia has always been a strong character, but sometimes in the novels (Expanded Universe) it feels a little forced. I have a feeling that won't be the case here.
    "Make yourself comfortable, I haven’t time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.

I also hope, like I said in my review, that Wood treats the Han/Chewie relationship with respect. A lot of Expanded Universe writers tended to just treat Chewie like the family dog, which I believe contributed to the decision to kill him off in Vector Prime. However, writers like Brian Daley, A.C. Crispin and Timothy Zahn did a great job in their stories really cementing their relationship as honest-to-goodness friends who deeply care about each other. I hope Wood continues that tradition.
    PULL LIST: Ghostbusters, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, The Shadow, Star Wars, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Mainly set-up, but very strong, I thought. It's feel reminds me a bit of Garth Ennis & Gary Erskine's Dan Dare.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Michel View Post
    Wouah : I am not a Star wars fan, but after having read this thread, I think I'll buy this issue this afternoon.
    Do tell what you think of it.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Anybody notice that we never even saw R2-D2? The closest is an overheard shot (page 1) of Luke's X-wing where it looks like R2 is in the droid socket, but that's it. He's never even mentioned. I just thought it was interesting since we got a glimpse of every other main character from the original film.
    PULL LIST: Ghostbusters, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, The Shadow, Star Wars, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Anybody notice that we never even saw R2-D2? The closest is an overheard shot (page 1) of Luke's X-wing where it looks like R2 is in the droid socket, but that's it. He's never even mentioned. I just thought it was interesting since we got a glimpse of every other main character from the original film.
    Ironically, in Star Wars: Legacy, we never once saw C-3P0, nor was he ever mentioned.
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

I thought this was quite nice, quite familiar and actually telling a story I wanted to read, because the gap between ANH and TESB has always appealed to me - Jabba's Bounty! Boba Fett! Early and very 1970s stuff. So I really liked it all, right down to Luke and Leia dealing with some crazy roller-coaster emotional come-downs and Leia holding her own as a rebel.

The only thing that to me felt 'off' was Han Solo. His actions and what he's getting across feel perfectly Solo to me, but I can't really imagine his dialogue coming out of Harrison Ford's mouth and sounding right. Too much detail in his speech, not enough short-hand. Seems like Wood might find his groove after a few issues and watching the films a few more times with it in mind.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

These are my thoughts on my first STAR WARS comic: STAR WARS 1 REVIEW – Wood Makes Lucas Look Wooden. I'm interested to hear the thoughts of true aficionados.

I don't want to back order this if I don't have to (it was my fault for not adding it to my pull list after all). Does IDW reliably release trades of their Star Wars stuff?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...