Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars, #1

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Star Wars, #1

Set shortly after the destruction of the first Death Star, "Star Wars" #1 by Brian Wood and Carlos D'Anda delivers a very solid, incredibly fun read for fans of the original trilogy.

Full article here.

I can't wait to read this tonight. I'm excited about the focus on Leia, as Wood writes great female leads. If this comic ends up being great, I really hope Marvel keeps it going when they take the Star Wars license from Dark Horse.

I gave this more or less the same grade, an 8.5. Really dug the Darth Vader confusion between the dark side and loving a son. Check out my review here with pictures if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by nosocialize100; 01-09-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

I must have missed the parts where Vader is confused between the darkside and loving his son. All I remember is him getting bashed by Palpatine and then looking out the window and saying "Skywalker." Which to me means he's pissed at Skywalker and wants to find him.

I think what you need to understand is that his series will not explore Vaders confusion. Since the idea behind the series is that ESB hasn't happened yet, and thus nobody knows Luke is Vaders son. We the reader are supposed to play along, and the premise is based off not knowing anything that comes after ANH. The series is written as if ESB hasn't even been written yet. In other words Vader will likely be hunting Skywalker, but we don't know why until ESB.

and I for one liked the recap. It definitly shows that DH is really making this new comer friendly, and is going for a broader audience.
    Last edited by The Nuke; 01-09-2013 at 12:17 PM.

The curious one.

I looked at it but I really didn't feel like picking it up because of ESB. There can't really be any surprises or tension knowing that Luke and Leia are really brother and sister and Darth's his father and... well everything. I'm not sure what new ground that they can cover.

So, when will Han Solo reach Aduba 8 ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Nuke View Post
    I must have missed the parts where Vader is confused between the darkside and loving his son. All I remember is him getting bashed by Palpatine and then looking out the window and saying "Skywalker." Which to me means he's pissed at Skywalker and wants to find him.

I think what you need to understand is that his series will not explore Vaders confusion. Since the idea behind the series is that ESB hasn't happened yet, and thus nobody knows Luke is Vaders son. We the reader are supposed to play along, and the premise is based off not knowing anything that comes after ANH. The series is written as if ESB hasn't even been written yet. In other words Vader will likely be hunting Skywalker, but we don't know why until ESB.

and I for one liked the recap. It definitly shows that DH is really making this new comer friendly, and is going for a broader audience.
    But maybe vader senses he is his son?
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Can't it just be that Vader recognized his own name? Also that the kid was hanging with his old master? It's not like he's got amnesia.

I liked this book. I think it could do with a bit less of the narrative caption boxes, and Leia flying an x-wing threw me off at first, but they made it work. Hopefully the spy storyline pans out, but they only introduced (sort of) one new character, so I wonder who it could possssibllyyyyyy beeeee...

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    But maybe vader senses he is his son?
    Maybe he does, but that's not the point. The series is written as if we know nothing about what is to happen to these characters, and I doubt Wood will give away the twist to a movie whose existence he's ignoring. He's already said that we might see some brother and sister flirt action, because as of now we don't know Luke and Leia are brother and sister.
    Last edited by The Nuke; 01-09-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Maybe he does, but that's not the point. The series is written has if we know nothing about what is to happen to these characters, and I doubt Wood will give away the twist to a movie whose existence he's ignoring. He's already said that we might see some brother and sister flirt action, because as of now we don't know Luke and Leia are brother and sister.
    I see. Well I haven't read anything by Wood and read the comic for what it delivers.

Maybe he does, but that's not the point. The series is written has if we know nothing about what is to happen to these characters, and I doubt Wood will give away the twist to a movie whose existence he's ignoring. He's already said that we might see some brother and sister flirt action, because as of now we don't know Luke and Leia are brother and sister.
    Like Number_5 said though, Vader would still surely recognize his own name. We aren't "supposed" to know the fact that he's stating his son's name, but to anyone buying these comics it's common knowledge and I doubt Wood is just going to presuppose we claim ignorance or ignore that fact.

The twist is that Vader at this point is still so far detached from that designation; he utters the name with such vitriol which suggests that we as readers are to take what we know from the movies and imbue it with more profundity. To be fair, Wood's narration is, "The word comes unbidden to his lips... and he has yet to understand what it means," but who is he kidding?

i thought this was a very strong first issue. looking forward to coming issues. i'm most interested in the han and chewie storyline.

free digital code on a 2.99 book was a pleasant surprise.
    SPACE FOR RENT!

I haven't read this comic yet, won't get it until Friday. Just wanted to chime in that I don't think Wood is saying WE are supposed to not know what happens in Episodes 5, 6, but just keep in mind the characters don't know. Dramatic irony will probably be used which requires us to know what happens.

About Vader "not knowing what it means" when he utters Skywalker, it's probably because he's very confused as he was the last Skywalker. It isn't until ESB that Vader realizes he has a son, so I hope Wood doesn't contradict that. This scene is different in the previous versions of ESB, but in the version you see now Vader is talking with Palpatine and he tells Vader "The son of anakin skywalker" and Vader says "How is that possible?".

So if Vader is hunting a Skywalker in these books, I hope they keep the motive simply as "Who can this be?" because as far as Vader knows Padme was killed before giving birth.

I thought it a terrific debut issue. The idea of a spy in the Alliance is intriguing, and I liked Mon Mothma basically giving Leia free range to pursue the matter however she sees fit. Brian Wood did a good job setting up the general premise while also squeezing in a good number of characters. Perhaps Han and Chewie were shoehorned in, but I just love seeing them no matter how briefly. Carlos D'anda's art is great. Love the visual style and the way he draws the characters. This is probably the most bad ass-looking Vader I've seen in a comic. I'm definitely on board for however long this title runs. For whatever it's worth, here's my own review on my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by abysslord View Post
    I haven't read this comic yet, won't get it until Friday. Just wanted to chime in that I don't think Wood is saying WE are supposed to not know what happens in Episodes 5, 6, but just keep in mind the characters don't know. Dramatic irony will probably be used which requires us to know what happens.
    That's almost exactly what Wood said in an interview. He clarified that this wasn't a reboot or ignoring the sequels, saying, "Yes, we, the fans, all know what happens to these characters. But from their POV, none of that stuff has been written and it's an uncertain future for them." (paraphrasing)
    Last edited by Michael24; 01-09-2013 at 03:05 PM.
    PULL LIST: Ghostbusters, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, The Shadow, Star Wars, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Like Number_5 said though, Vader would still surely recognize his own name. We aren't "supposed" to know the fact that he's stating his son's name, but to anyone buying these comics it's common knowledge and I doubt Wood is just going to presuppose we claim ignorance or ignore that fact.

The twist is that Vader at this point is still so far detached from that designation; he utters the name with such vitriol which suggests that we as readers are to take what we know from the movies and imbue it with more profundity. To be fair, Wood's narration is, "The word comes unbidden to his lips... and he has yet to understand what it means," but who is he kidding?
    I should also add that the book is being written as if the only STar Wars movie released is STAR WARS. That being the 1977 movie. So Darth Vader saying "HIS' name is inaccurate. Because since I've only seen the first movie, I know nothing about Darth Vader. If fact ladies and gentelmen I think he's a robot.

That's what I mean. There is no prequels, there is no Anakin Skywalker, and there is no known relationship between Vader and Luke. Woods playing this up big time. We're suppose to go into this without knowing anything that came before or after ANH, and that's the way it will be written. So Vader saying Skywalker,"His own name," means nothing and will probably remain that way until ESB.

Well Vader saying his own name does mean one thing. It means he knows the name of the pilot who destroyed the Death Star, and was the cause of his demotion. In other words, Vader pissed.
    Last edited by The Nuke; 01-09-2013 at 04:44 PM.