Default Dial H 8 SPOILERS/DISCUSSION

Whats to say, other than that this title is brilliant? Flame War is one of the best identities yet, HILARIOUS. "The Foul Mouthed Five! Trashtalk! Together we are The Insult!".

The Centipede is a brilliant character, and while I think I basically called his powers last issue (though the memories are already, so maybe not) I love how off kilter and strange they are. The characters are vibrant. The plot is intriguing.

This is what comics are supposed to be. Personal. Off kilter. Riddled with creativity. Accented with cultural, political and economic commentary.

Just wonderful stuff, everybody. Pick it up.

More thoughts later.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

How was Ponticelli's art on this one?

Good, if you like his art. No surprises, you know?

I preferred the original artist, but like Ponticelli just fine.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

BANNED

I loved this issue.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Well, that was awesome.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

You can tell they're Canadian cops, 'cause they say please when they point guns at you and make demands.

The Centipede is officially my favourite villain of the New 52. Makes me wonder what the Canadian government was planning on doing with that time machine...
    Same Day: Batgirl, Supergirl, WW, DemonK, JLD, Dial H, Earth 2, SoS
    Maybe Later: Action, GL, Aqua, DCUP, Titans, Firestorm, Animal, Swampy, Batwoman, Worlds F, JL, Flash, PhantomS, BoP, GL: NG

Great issue. I liked how Centipede's orgin was explained in this one. I can't wait for the next issue after reading the last page of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Famousringo View Post
    Makes me wonder what the Canadian government was planning on doing with that time machine...
    We were going to give every one who never got to have pets as kids free puppies and kittens. Honest...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

I so look forward to reading Dial H every month and my LCS didn't receive their copies this week on some shipping snafu :(
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

Wow! This arc opened up in a huge way now! How we went from last issue's goings-ons to this and so naturally is incredible. Given everything that happens in this issue, The Centipede's origin is done extremely well and we learn a great deal about him and I want to know more about him. His certainly the star of the issue, easily the most interesting character right now and his powers are awesome. The humor is also very on-point and, again, natural. Flame War, Trash Talk, and Wolf Ticket were very funny and still furthered continued that plot point. Very interested to find out who the new dialer is, the organization that took him, The Centipede's true intentions, and how Roxie/Nelson will deal with it all. Month after month this is the comic I look forward to and never disappoints. Can't wait for the next one.

With regard to the art change, I think Ponticelli overall does a good job and nails The Centipede, especially, as well as the heroes, but I did find his Roxie/Nelson, especially his Nelson, inconsistent. Maybe switch the inker and colorist to the ones from Frankenstein (Faucher on inks and Kalisz or Villarrubia as colorist) as I think that team gelled really well or it could just be the case of seeing how this art team grows and hopefully gets stronger as the issues go on.

This issue was awesome. I feel like Mieville has gotten a much better sense of pacing in the last few issues...the first arc was so dense and kind of threw too much at the reader at once, whereas the last three issues are spaced out a lot better and feel more like appropriate comic book pacing. Nelson's "Flame War" and insult stuff was hilarious and the Centipede was just CRAZY. Definitely one of the best new characters of the New 52. I remember seeing something about Dial H being referenced in the Flash, or vice-versa, and I can see that with Centipede's powers being similar to Barry's new "Speed Mind." The idea of a Dial H / Flash crossover is mindbogglingly awesome...Mieville doesn't strike me as someone who wants to do crossovers, but I'd love for Manapul & Buccellato to play in this sandbox for an issue or two.

Ponticelli's art was solid but definitely not the best I've seen from him. I know he had to finish up Frankenstein so I hope his art gets a bit better in following issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Roldan View Post
    How was Ponticelli's art on this one?
    He didn't do his own inks (Dan Green did them), which means it doesn't have that same, rough, messy look that proved so divisive on the first few issues of Frankenstein.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Good ish. Love that the bad guy's Canadian. That in and of itself is pretty hysterical. I like Ponticelli, but I prefer it when he inks his own work.
    If you're not reading Lazarus you should be.

Had to get my pull list late, so finally got to read this. :)

Flame War was hilarious.

Canada is up to no good?
    I always suspected...

;)

And our two protagonists continue the battle to maintain their sense of self.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams