Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Thunderbolts #3 *Spoilers*

Ok, this issue took me a second read to really like. I think my biggest issue is that it opens with Deadpool being back on Madripoor with Rulk (as seen in the preview pages), but without any context it seems very jarring when last we saw him he was shot in the head when he and Elektra attempted to gain entry to General Awa's palace.

Rulk reveals to Deadpool that he has Stern, but asks if he opened an enigmatic green cargo crate next to the one Stern is in. When Deadpool says no, Rulk says he figured 'she' would have opened it for him. We get a brief glimpse of this 'she' in the shadows of the cargo crate, and I suppose we are to assume it's Mercy.

It's after this little segment that we get the recap page (which should have been at the very beginning, imo), and it's here that we the real, if truncated story: Deadpool was left behind when he was shot, and so after Awa's men made off with Elektra he returned to Rulk.

Along with revealing Stern, Rulk reveals that there is something that Stern knows that he needs, and that he's juicing him up on some gamma cocktail that is also apparently keeping him dumb. Deadpool remarks that when Frank finds out, he'll put a whole in Stern's head. Rulk replies that when that happens, he'll deal with Frank. They load up Stern and head off back to Kata Jaya.

On Kata Jaya, we get the random scene of Frank instructing some rebels to gun down a chained up monkey, but none of them do so until he releases it and it attacks the rebels. Since this was apparently the last stage of their unseen training montage, they are all set to ambush a weapons depot. They succeed, though one of the rebels is killed and another is injured. There is a great moment here where Flash is driving the truck up to the compound and the guard asks to see his credentials; Flash proceeds to tell him that he's got his papers right here...and then proceeds to produce papers. Not LOL worthy, but it was entertaining and slightly unexpected, as I thought he'd let the symbiote take over and start wreaking havoc right there.

As Rulk, Deadpool, and Sterns meet up with Flash and Frank, Rulk reveals that Elektra's capture was part of the plan and that the info he needs from Sterns regards his brother. We jump to Elektra for a afew panels, who is talking to someone off panel insisting that if Elektra truly knew what she was up against, she wouldn't have signed on. He also proceeds to tell her that her role as a trojan horse was incredibly obvious, and as we finally get to see him in all of his hulked out glory, insists that she call him Madman (aka Philip Sterns, the Leader's brother). This scene gives me just a bit of an old Bond vibe as he calls her Ms. Natchios. I fully expected his next words to be along the lines of "Ms. Natchios...I expect you to die!"

We jump back to the rest of the team, with Deadpool calming Flash down as he realizes who Sterns is. In the process a gunshot goes off, and everyone turns to look to Frank, who has indeed put a bullet in Sterns' head.

The issue ends here, and I think we're going to get quite a bit of action in the next couple of issues.

The art continues to grow on me, and I really am going to miss Dillon on this title. I've just come to really appreciate his style, and imo he's made the style and tone of this book very distinctive.

All in all I would still give this issue a middling score; I still don't feel like its quite got its legs underneath it.

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    Ok, this issue took me a second read to really like. I think my biggest issue is that it opens with Deadpool being back on Madripoor with Rulk (as seen in the preview pages), but without any context it seems very jarring when last we saw him he was shot in the head when he and Elektra attempted to gain entry to General Awa's palace.

Rulk reveals to Deadpool that he has Stern, but asks if he opened an enigmatic green cargo crate next to the one Stern is in. When Deadpool says no, Rulk says he figured 'she' would have opened it for him. We get a brief glimpse of this 'she' in the shadows of the cargo crate, and I suppose we are to assume it's Mercy.

It's after this little segment that we get the recap page (which should have been at the very beginning, imo), and it's here that we the real, if truncated story: Deadpool was left behind when he was shot, and so after Awa's men made off with Elektra he returned to Rulk.

Along with revealing Stern, Rulk reveals that there is something that Stern knows that he needs, and that he's juicing him up on some gamma cocktail that is also apparently keeping him dumb. Deadpool remarks that when Frank finds out, he'll put a whole in Stern's head. Rulk replies that when that happens, he'll deal with Frank. They load up Stern and head off back to Kata Jaya.

On Kata Jaya, we get the random scene of Frank instructing some rebels to gun down a chained up monkey, but none of them do so until he releases it and it attacks the rebels. Since this was apparently the last stage of their unseen training montage, they are all set to ambush a weapons depot. They succeed, though one of the rebels is killed and another is injured. There is a great moment here where Flash is driving the truck up to the compound and the guard asks to see his credentials; Flash proceeds to tell him that he's got his papers right here...and then proceeds to produce papers. Not LOL worthy, but it was entertaining and slightly unexpected, as I thought he'd let the symbiote take over and start wreaking havoc right there.

As Rulk, Deadpool, and Sterns meet up with Flash and Frank, Rulk reveals that Elektra's capture was part of the plan and that the info he needs from Sterns regards his brother. We jump to Elektra for a afew panels, who is talking to someone off panel insisting that if Elektra truly knew what she was up against, she wouldn't have signed on. He also proceeds to tell her that her role as a trojan horse was incredibly obvious, and as we finally get to see him in all of his hulked out glory, insists that she call him Madman (aka Philip Sterns, the Leader's brother). This scene gives me just a bit of an old Bond vibe as he calls her Ms. Natchios. I fully expected his next words to be along the lines of "Ms. Natchios...I expect you to die!"

We jump back to the rest of the team, with Deadpool calming Flash down as he realizes who Sterns is. In the process a gunshot goes off, and everyone turns to look to Frank, who has indeed put a bullet in Sterns' head.

The issue ends here, and I think we're going to get quite a bit of action in the next couple of issues.

The art continues to grow on me, and I really am going to miss Dillon on this title. I've just come to really appreciate his style, and imo he's made the style and tone of this book very distinctive.

All in all I would still give this issue a middling score; I still don't feel like its quite got its legs underneath it.
    I am so glad Madman is back. Countdown was one of my favorite storylines in the Hulk, which introduced the world to the character. Awesome. I'm proud of Marvel for going back and using these old characters instead of creating new ones. Can Cardiac be far behind?
    Check out the O.A.W. Report at www.majinoaw.blogspot.com. You want to see why I say the things I do or understand what's in my head... this is the place to go.

Well I'm gonna have to get this via my library in trade, sounds like its had a really poor start to be honest ;(
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Yeah, it probably had one of the weakest starts out of the whole Marvel NOW initiative. I will still be positive and think that it has the chance to be a really strong book.

I like the way the story's going better than I expected. Perhaps a split into two rival factions is coming. Marvel loves hero vs hero stuff, or in this case anti-hero vs anti-hero. Perhaps some team members side with Frank's decision, and others don't.

My subscription should be starting with issue #4 or #5. Then, I'll have to wait one to two weeks per issue.
    Marvel: Daredevil, Punisher, Uncanny Avengers, Wolverine & the X-Men, Cyclops, Hawkeye, Superior/Amazing Spider-Man (Trading for)
    Image: East of West, Lazarus, Jupiter's Legacy, Starlight

The only thing still making me interested is the roster. That's all.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Well, that's what drew most of us in and is what's keeping most of us staying. If there were a better, long-term option for Punisher fans I really doubt they'd be reading this book. Maybe that's why they canceled his on-going...

Well I'll keep hope and try the trade.

I do think that the story will flow better in trade format.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Yeah pretty much this, though Way's interpretation (his Deadpool being one of the worst and Venom being a generic soldier type) of the cast is horrible and Dillon on a superhero comic is never a good thing.

Phil Noto should give it a nice new paint job though. Too bad the foundation is mouldy as all hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    Well, that's what drew most of us in and is what's keeping most of us staying. If there were a better, long-term option for Punisher fans I really doubt they'd be reading this book. Maybe that's why they canceled his on-going...
    Perhaps. That's the main reason I'm reading this.
    Marvel: Daredevil, Punisher, Uncanny Avengers, Wolverine & the X-Men, Cyclops, Hawkeye, Superior/Amazing Spider-Man (Trading for)

The art is not doing it for me, and waaaay too much red, just glaring to look at. Plot was a bit weak and the punisher training sequence was just off. There just isnt enough to keep me interested in this book.

Quote Originally Posted by drakeon View Post
    The art is not doing it for me, and waaaay too much red, just glaring to look at. Plot was a bit weak and the punisher training sequence was just off. There just isnt enough to keep me interested in this book.
    The training sequence was a bit odd. The rest of the book was ok. I'm looking forward to Noto, but not much to the romance unless it's done well.

eh didn't really care for this issue. that said, i did enjoy the previous issues and i'm not dropping the book. as others have pointed out, the Punisher training sequence did feel a bit off.

this issue was horrible, then ending sucked and the art its starting to look horrendous, everybody looks like Frank!
    the ONLY reason I'm still picking 4 up is because of the team and because they have the Deadpool I actually like, a doofus but not a looney tunes doofus