Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    I don't think Force Ghost Pete is a literal ghost either. I think it was just Slott and Ryan Stegman's way of illustrating that Peter somehow got back into his body but only on a subconscious level. In other words, while Doc Ock is the one who is driving, Force Ghost Pete is in the backseat going "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"
    Well they did mention a soul trapping device in 700 and I believe someone leaked that something about SS involving Doc Strange.

It was a decent issue,but not spectacular(heh).I loved how Slott writes Ock's thoughts and dialogue and seeing a more scientific and well prepared Spiderman,but really,i hate how dumb is MJ in this issue,considering that Ock wasn't trying hard to hide his personality.
    "I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Marriage-Tracer killer Dr. Chaos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xal View Post
    This is very disappointing to me. Not the comic but the reaction.
    SS#1 was good. (Well except again for MJ being oblivious and no one mentioning they all got impact web in the face last time.) But the ending reveal was terrible. It was done solely to appeal to the complaining, whiny, fan base that freaks out when things are changed. So from a financial standpoint the ending was a home run. I can't believe how many "Well I wasn't going to read SS but now I will," comments I've seen. From a writing standpoint this is awful. All emotional impact, or sense of drama related to how Pete will come back is now lost. It also reveals what SS really is. A cheap marketing ploy. (Maybe it's not, but that's how it comes off.) We can all expect next year to start with ASM vol 3. #25.

We all knew Pete was coming back, obviously. But the same can be said for almost any tv show, book, movie. We know that the majority of the time the protagonist will win, yet while we are watching/reading, you don't think about it. You get caught up in the moment. This was like Marvel putting a big stick at the beginning of their comic saying "We'd like to remind our readers that by the end of this story the superhero will defeat the super villain, so please stay calm."

I like SS, and will continue to read it. It will be interesting to see what happens when Otto has to deal with a villain he can't defeat via prep/evil lair trap style. What he will do when he can't simply run away. I can only hope that now that they have bowed down to kiss the raging fanboys feet that they won't bring ghost Pete up again until much further down the road.
    I actually appreciate the move/honesty from the book quite abit.

I mean, could there ever be anything more clearly see through and illusion of change as Doctor frickin Octopus becoming Spider-Man?
    I'm beginning to think that Hell is a comic book forum.

-Gitaroo_Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    I see some people surprised they didn't hold off this reveal longer but I don't think anybody would be willing to bank on Doc Ock becoming a huge successful Spider-Man ongoing (people didn't seem to want an Irredeemable Ant-Man, don't think they'll want someone a thousand times worse) without some assurance that this creep is going to be put in his place eventually.

It was a smart move to reassure people that Peter is still hanging around, they'll lose less readers that way. Not that I was going to leave the book but I can see why some might have wanted to if this hadn't come up.
    Yeah, I mean anyone who has read comics for very long knew Peter was going to come back eventually, I do give props to Slott and Marvel for not needlessly dragging out his return like other stories in which the hero dies or gets dispatched and is temporarily replaced. But still, the way it got revealed I thought was intentionally hysterical.

And I agree, at least with Force Ghost Pete, the idea of Doc Ock living it up in Peter's body is a little more bearable, but not by much because, yes, based on Doc Ock was written in this issue, he's REALLY going to annoy the hell out readers as the supposed "hero" of the title.
    Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Xal View Post
    Well they did mention a soul trapping device in 700 and I believe someone leaked that something about SS involving Doc Strange.
    It was in Avenging Spider-Man #15.1 actually. And yeah, that could've been a clue, in that maybe it gets revealed that Uatu Jackson accidentally brought Peter back. Or if not, as you said, that maybe this is how that supposed Bleeding Cool spoiler about Dr. Strange ties into this that he was the one who prevented Peter from passing on to the other side.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

So Parktavius didn't even last an issue?

700 ended weakly, and this ended weakly.

So far, I actually find Spock interesting, which is something that never, EVER came to mind when I was reading that shitstain on Spider-Man history that was Alpha. Maybe his 1950s silver age villain dialog will grate eventually, but this book has my interest as of now.

Ok, so is Peter the ghost going to allow Spock to kiss/fondle/grope/get to third base with MJ or not?

I like the execution and the concept so far. Slott renewed my faith by making Ock want to kill that bad guy. He's still evil, working as intended.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    It was in Avenging Spider-Man #15.1 actually. And yeah, that could've been a clue, in that maybe it gets revealed that Uatu Jackson accidentally brought Peter back. Or if not, as you said, that maybe this is how that supposed Bleeding Cool spoiler about Dr. Strange ties into this that he was the one who prevented Peter from passing on to the other side.
    Issue wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. Meh.

GRADE: C-

once and future

Pretty freaking hacky plot twist. I think Slott could have thought of something better than Peter as a force ghost.

Though I'm glad to see ASM #700 start to be reversed in the next issue.

Marriage-Tracer killer Dr. Chaos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Ok, so is Peter the ghost going to allow Spock to kiss/fondle/grope/get to third base with MJ or not?
    Doc Ock has a lot of control at the moment but it seems when he's most at danger of breaking Spider-Man's code, Peter might end up stopping him.

Seems like she might be able to repel his advances on her own, he's acting pretty damn creepy and sleazy. I would be amazed if she doesn't notice by the end of #2 and leave.
    Last edited by Dr. Chaos; 01-09-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    I'm beginning to think that Hell is a comic book forum.

-Gitaroo_Dude

Actually, I'm happy with this, and I don't have any reservations about this book anymore. It gives the sense that Marvel hasn't given up on Peter yet, and that Peter himself is still fighting the good fight.

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Issue wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. Meh.

GRADE: C-
    Agreed. Like I said earlier, I'm of two minds about this just like apparent premise.

double post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    Doc Ock has a lot of control at the moment but it seems when he's most at danger of breaking Spider-Man's code, Peter might end up stopping him.

Seems like she might be able to repel his advances on her own, he's acting pretty damn creepy and sleazy. I would be amazed if she doesn't notice by the end of #2 and leave.
    Or, considering how it does say "Peter and Mary Jane together again," maybe somehow Peter briefly regains control in-between the dinner date and the fight with the new Sinister Six--probably when Doc Ock passes out from the champagne--and tells a freaked-out MJ what happened. And MJ, wanting to help Peter, decides to play along and put up with SpOck's douchebaggery in order to spy on him.