Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Yeah, I couldn't buy into the idea that Ock suddenly felt all warm and gooey inside because he remembered Aunt May's wheatcakes.

Now there's more wiggle room with Pete being an active influence in Ock's life. It also frees up Slott to make Ock the villain in his own book if that's where he wants to go.
    Yup, it would be cool, cause conflict within the main character, they have couple very interesting routes they go go with, I'm confident Slott will be able to pull it off...

Quote Originally Posted by Lars C View Post
    We kinda knew Peter was still around in some capacity, didn't we? It's not like this made me think "OMG, this is genious!". I still prefer Batman and Detective Comics, but might continue to check it out.
    I think that's the guess most of us made once we saw 700, but I, for one, was way off on the magnitude of Peter's presence. Didn't expect to see so much of him in there.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I don't really see a reason to drag the revelation out; it's clear this is the book concept going forward. And it deals with one of the biggest criticisms of ASM 700, which is that Ock's sudden desire to do good felt forced. Now we know that Pete is still inside his head.
    Yeah, i agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    And equally possible that the plan was to do this all along.
    Pretty clearly the plan all along, especially in context (And people should've taken this as a huge hint) that Slott has specifically said he was going into self imposed exile until Superior Spider-Man actually hit.

He knew months ahead that people were going to flip out over ASM #698/700. They did. He decided to go rather quiet until SSM #1 came out. In retrospect, that should've made it obvious that there would be something in there to alleviate the nerd rage other than assuming it was going to be so well received that haters would immediately shut up (Pretty much not a possibility considering people are still bitching about OMD, despite how well received the bulk of BND was).

Haven't read the issue yet, but glad to see PP is still around. My question is can he go to Dr. Strange or is he somehow "tied" to his body? I think this definitely makes the future issues interesting, getting to see Peter's reaction as Ock is macking on MJ, getting fired from the Avengers, etc.

The new title does seem unnecessary though.
    Last edited by TheOther; 01-09-2013 at 08:23 AM.

And equally possible that the plan was to do this all along. Though it seems a bit elitist to feel that Marvel is writing story points to appease the fans dont you think. Regardless, you'd have to ask Dan Slott to learn the truth.
    Well not so much the story point as the quickness to reveal such a story point. And I'm not thinking it was a decree by Marvel per say. It could just be that Slott was outlining the story and thought, "let's bring Peter back a lot sooner than most will anticipate".
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheOther View Post
    Haven't read the issue yet, but glad to see PP is still around. My question is can he go to Dr. Strange or is he somehow "tied" to his body? I think this definitely makes the future issues interesting, getting to see Peter's reaction as Ock is macking on MJ, getting fired from the Avengers, etc.
    we dont know yet. To Be Continued.

If I were to guess, Id say hes tied to the body and Strange might detect him if they cross paths.

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    Well not so much the story point as the quickness to reveal such a story point. And I'm not thinking it was a decree by Marvel per say. It could just be that Slott was outlining the story and thought, "let's bring Peter back a lot sooner than most will anticipate".
    Id bet it was Slott's idea all along and the fans online just werent willing to wait a few weeks to see. All things being equal, the easiest solution is likely the best... and its much easier for it to have been the plan all along.

Id bet it was Slott's idea all along and the fans online just werent willing to wait a few weeks to see. All things being equal, the easiest solution is likely the best... and its much easier for it to have been the plan all along.
    You're probably right. Yeah I reviewed Superior this morning and my editors were like, "but this twist is so silly!" and I replied, "let's give this a second. I can't judge this twist just yet. Give it a chance."
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by MatsN View Post
    The surprise was that the back door was revealed in the very first issue. It would have been more fun if we were kept in the dark for a little while longer.
    But apart from that, a solid adventure.
    See, this was my biggest (only) problem with the issue. We all more or less know that this status quo won't be permanent, hell, Pete will be Pete again in time for the next movie, it's almost guaranteed. But still, to show the "back door" in the very first issue is soooo lame. It's like Wacker was trolling so hard about Peter Parker fans fading away and then BAM they are suddenly and sort of half-assedly appeased. All this talk about "breaking the internet in half" and now we see something of a half-commitment. Instead of diving in, it's clear they've only got their foot in the water (or maybe calf, hmmm, new series, "evil" Spidey, I suppose I could give them a calf). I guess after all the hype (and I'm getting really jaded about hype in general) I just wish that for once the hype would be more than an obvious marketing ploy, I wish it were true and that these "stunning" revelations lived up to it. But anyway, sure there is a whole new book, it's pretty bold, but they put the most obvious escape-plan/Peter-Parker-diehard-fan-appeasement in the very first issue and to me that just highlights a lack of true commitment, which has been an ongoing problem with Marvel for years.

After this thing is over, I foresee a further regression of Peter Parker back to his younger self. The big time is over, and he'll be a single, lone hero with a crappy job, no money, few friends, and probably living with Aunt May.

For the record, the above is more of a big-picture rant. I did really enjoy the issue, and I'm digging the character of Spock.
    Last edited by Number_5; 01-09-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    You're probably right. Yeah I reviewed Superior this morning and my editors were like, "but this twist is so silly!" and I replied, "let's give this a second. I can't judge this twist just yet. Give it a chance."
    id agree. Its a one page reveal. More details are needed to see if it will work. Im just happy i called it. Me 1, Marvel 100,000 and something

Thank GOD. Just a reminder to never ever never believe what comics pitchmen say when there's any controversy involved. ALl the stuff about Peter being a drag on the comic, you can only tell power-responsibility stories so many times, he's really gone forever.... blah blah blah.

Thankfully, it was all BS.

Whew. OK, I'm back onboard. STill wish ASM didn't end like that as a series, but clearly that's not a done deal either. Even if they just seek in a "Giant-Size Amazing Amazing-Spider Man #whatever" or somesuch.

In the end, Peter is not stomped on and ground into the dirt, and I am relaxing.

All of this is more proof as to why comics pros really need to maintain some professional detachment and distance. We could have gotten here without the sturm und drang, and without a lot of the personal garbage. Better for them to back off and trust their own stories, rather than demand aggressively that others shut up and trust them so absolutely (especially when trusting them means ignoring-everything-they-just-said-in-the-last-dozen-interviews. Good grief. I would've been a lot happier as a reader NOT knowing what a jerk certain people are).

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Number_5 View Post
    See, this was my biggest (only) problem with the issue. We all more or less know that this status quo won't be permanent, hell, Pete will be Pete again in time for the next movie, it's almost guaranteed. But still, to show the "back door" in the very first issue is soooo lame. It's like Wacker was trolling so hard about Peter Parker fans fading away and then BAM they are suddenly and sort of half-assedly appeased. All this talk about "breaking the internet in half" and now we see something of a half-commitment. Instead of diving in, it's clear they've only got their foot in the water (or maybe calf, hmmm, new series, "evil" Spidey, I guess I can give them a calf). I guess after all the hype (and I'm getting really jaded about hype in general) I just wish that for once the hype would be more than an obvious marketing ploy, I wish it were true and that these "stunning revelations" lived up to it. But anyway, sure there is a whole new book, it's pretty bold, but they put the most obvious escape-plan/Peter-Parker-diehard-fan-appeasement in the very first issue and to me that just highlights a lack of true commitment, which has been an ongoing problem with Marvel for years.

After this thing is over, I foresee a further regression of Peter Parker back to his younger self. The big time is over, and he'll be a single, lone hero with a crappy job, no money, few friends, and probably living with Aunt May.

For the record, the above is more of a big-picture rant. I did really enjoy the issue, and I'm digging the character of Spock.
    ASM 700 ended with a clear escape plan as I (and some others) had pointed out here some weeks ago. To me, it was pretty obvious that the whole "memory and feeling transfer" thing at the end of ASM 700 was going to lead to Peter Parker coming back sooner rather than later. The reveal at the end of this issue was just in line with that.

A lot of reaction to ASM 700 was just premature.

Regarding Mr Wacker, he was just having fun with us but some people took it waaaaaay too seriously.
    Last edited by USERNAME TAKEN; 01-09-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Number_5 View Post
    But still, to show the "back door" in the very first issue is soooo lame.
    Depends on whether you see it as 'the back door' or 'the high concept.'

It's like revealing the Thunderbolts are really the Masters of Evil in the first issue. There's no reason to drag the revelation out, because that's the book's premise going forward.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by odum View Post
    All of this is more proof as to why comics pros really need to maintain some professional detachment and distance. We could have gotten here without the sturm und drang, and without a lot of the personal garbage. Better for them to back off and trust their own stories, rather than demand aggressively that others shut up and trust them so absolutely (especially when trusting them means ignoring-everything-they-just-said-in-the-last-dozen-interviews. Good grief. I would've been a lot happier as a reader NOT knowing what a jerk certain people are).
    Really? Youve never seen a cover tell you this is the end before?

Telling fans its permanent and it really not being is a staple of superhero comics.