Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Stormwatch #16 Discussion/Spoilers

Well, that was an interesting twist.

We all know that Harry Tanner was the one disguised as a Shadow Lord to frame Midnighter (Just because he hates him), the thing is that another member from Stormwatch betrays the team and it was'nt who you would expect. The reasons were pretty intriguing and I hope Milligan explores more about that in the following issues.

Milligan continues doeing a good job at portraying these characters and the art expresses that perfectly. Good issue as usual.

BANNED

I was going to stop reading this book because of how cliche the story is, but if there is a wrench in the whole thing, I might give it a shot.

Well, I thought it was the one you would expect, even though I wasn't expecting it, if that makes sense.

EDIT: Also, I've just realised it's a bit of a shame there's no Doctor. Yes, he is overpowered as all hell for the DCU, but I can't help but think he's the sort of character Milligan would excel at writing.

(No Spoilers)

The saga of Harry Tanner vs. Stormwatch comes to a head this issue. It's a storyline that's been building since Paul Cornell's original run. But the build-up may have hurt the story in the end. Even the twist at the end with one of the characters (which was kind of ruined by the solicits) isn't enough pay-off. But despite these things, still another decent issue of Stormwatch.

I'm going to start off by focusing on something I think has been extremely consistent in the last few months which is Will Conrad's art. I love his rendition of the characters and he's gotten to draw some awesome scenes during his run. However, due to time constraints I would imagine, he's had fill-in artists help him finish each issue. Now the fill-in artists have not been bad at all. Here we have Eduardo Pansica and Julio Ferreira. If we must have fill-in artists, I'm glad they got some that match Conrad's style. I think Conrad is one of the best artists DC has right now and I'm glad to see he's going to be doing Stormwatch for a while.

Now, concerning the story. This is the climax of the Harry Tanner vs. Stormwatch storyline which has been in the background of the title since Cornell's run ended at issue 6. I have been thoroughly enjoying it because I have enjoyed Harry as a villain. Some complained that he fooled Stormwatch too easily but I argued that by the nature of his powers, he would be able to fool everyone except Midnighter. And that's exactly what happened. However, because it's been built-up for so long, the ironic thing is I felt it was wrapped up too fast. I wanted to see more of Harry manipulating Stormwatch but it's obvious they wanted to move on to the twist.

Now, the change in one of the characters that creates the twist for the issue is not far-fetched because it's feeding off of something Milligan planted at the beginning of his run. My disappointment is that this development was spoiled by solicits of future issues. So it kind of killed the surprise. That aside, while most people will not like where this character is going, I have to admit it's an interesting twist. I just hope it'll play out well.

Stormwatch is still a solid title and I'm hoping for the best, but I can't help but worry with the declining monthly sales. I can easily see how this book could morph into The Authority title just like it did in the old Wildstorm Universe, but I'm not sure if that's what DC intends to do. Regardless, I hope they keep these characters going because with the Voodoo and Grifter titles gone, it's the only original New 52 launch title pulled from Wildstorm that's left. Here's to hoping!
    Wildstorm Addiction Podcast-News, reviews, & creator interviews

If there is one comic I have enjoyed each and every issue it is Stormwatch. The characters are very enjoyable and I have really enjoyed it more since Martian Manhunter left the team.

I agree with grifter78, Harry Tanner has been a very good villain but I feel the story of him becoming a Shadow Lord to that story wrapping up was way too fast. It is almost as if (and I really don't want to say this) that they are writing stories that can be wrapped up quickly for when the cancellation hammer drops.

I couldn't help but see the inking error of EARTH being plain to see on the monitor but that is a minor issue. I am already anxiously awaiting issue 17 as I want to see where this story is going. I might have to check the solicitations for the upcoming issues.

It looks like this comic is really becoming the Apollo and Midnighter show and I really don't have any problems with that as I think they are some of the strongest characters in DC that are not the big 7. If Stormwatch did end up getting cancelled and didn't evolve in to The Authority then I would be happy to see an Apollo and Midnighter book.

BANNED

I'll probably get this when the price drops.

I just read the solicitations for the next few months, there are some big things happening.

I wonder who it will be that dies? I am going to go out on a limb and say I hope it is Jenny Quantum. She seems way too overpowered (or more to the point, potentially overpowered) and can be used as a Deus Ex Machina too easily.

I, too, am anxiously waiting for issue # 17. It's going to be "Evil Stormwatch vs New Stormwatch" next issue. Sounds like one of them is going to be the Authority.

The executional problems are there, but less present than before. The plot twists are fun.

It could be better, but it could be a lot worse. I'm still enjoying the ride.

Will Conrad is a god damn revelation.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I just read the solicitations for the next few months, there are some big things happening.

I wonder who it will be that dies? I am going to go out on a limb and say I hope it is Jenny Quantum. She seems way too overpowered (or more to the point, potentially overpowered) and can be used as a Deus Ex Machina too easily.
    Could be Jenny, but Milligan has never seemed to find much for Jack Hawksmoor to do, so I think he might die, perhaps making room for a new god of cities.

I'll be pissed if Jack or Jenny die just because Milligan could never find anything to do with them.

But I still think it's more likely Projectionist will die.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    I'll be pissed if Jack or Jenny die just because Milligan could never find anything to do with them.

But I still think it's more likely Projectionist will die.
    Milligan has given a lot of good scenes to Jenny actually, including issue 0 devoting enterely to her and her story, I doubt that he's going to kill her so easily.

While if they kill off Jenny it could open up them introducing Elijah Snow
    "My name is Blink. Who do you THINK is faster?"

I don't think anyone from Stormwatch should be killed. In most team comics there is always someone on the team who I wouldn't mind seeing killed off but I don't feel that way for anyone on the Stormwatch team. I do think Jenny is overpowered and would be my preferred character to be killed off but that doesn't mean I still wouldn't want her to stay alive and on the team.

However, I could probably do with having the Shadow Lords killed off. It would essentially take the leash off of the team and let them run wild as the Authority.
    Last edited by TheFallen; 01-10-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robcastor729 View Post
    While if they kill off Jenny it could open up them introducing Elijah Snow
    What? I don't see how they are mutually exclusive at all.

Its better but still not what the series was initially advertised as.

Still if someone has to die kill the projectionist and get me some actual wildstorm characters.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February